Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:08 PM

71 posts, read 227,023 times

Advertisements

we found an undisclosed water leak into the lower floor during the house inspection... there is no mold seen in the opening, but it also seems to be leaking a little bit when the faucet is turned off... also, we saw another one being recently fixed in the other part of the house...

would you decide that the mold is there already and walk away from the house, or would you request the pipe to be fixed and stay under the contract?

we just can't make our mind on how to proceed...

thanks a lot in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,932,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yulga View Post
we found an undisclosed water leak into the lower floor during the house inspection... there is no mold seen in the opening, but it also seems to be leaking a little bit when the faucet is turned off... also, we saw another one being recently fixed in the other part of the house...

would you decide that the mold is there already and walk away from the house, or would you request the pipe to be fixed and stay under the contract?

we just can't make our mind on how to proceed...

thanks a lot in advance!
If you are willing to walk away from a house because of a faucet that " seems to be leaking a little bit", then you must not want the house. It may be something as simple as tightening a nut, or putting on a piece of thread tape. It's an easy easy fix. In fact, many contracts may not even allow you to back out for such a minor issue. And you can't just assume that mold exists, especially when you hav no evidence of such.

If, in fact, you like this house and want to buy it, then have the leak fixed, and hire a professional to do a thorough inspection to make sure there are no other issues, including and especially mold.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:32 AM

I meant a hole in the ceiling downstairs through which water is sipping from the bathroom upstairs... house inspector did only a visual inspection, he he didn't see any mold in the opening... if the leak is there even for a week, the mold spores are in the flooring structure already... the house was vacant over the winter, so nobody knows when it all started...

should we even bother with the further investigation or it'd be wiser to walk away?

Old 03-22-2011, 06:03 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yulga View Post
should we even bother with the further investigation or it'd be wiser to walk away?
Depends on how good of a deal the house is. If it's a one-of-a-kind house that you really love, that you're getting a great price on, it definitely warrants further investigation to see what the extent of damage (if any) is. If you're not thrilled with the house, and there are 10 more just like it in the neighborhood, it might not be worth looking any further. In either case, I'd think opening up a bigger hole down below the potential leak is a worthwhile venture, and something the seller should be willing to do.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:22 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,394,519 times
yeah, like Bob says....if you can't find a location like it, and the house, overall is decent, just ask for concessions and a fix and move forward. but if you have a funny feeling about it, i'd walk away.

i'd also say open it up and see what else is in there if you can. seller should have disclosed it...no way they did not know about it...so i would think, what else are they hiding?

Old 03-22-2011, 07:38 AM

234 posts, read 939,434 times
This might be nothing at all, or it might be a very expensive problem. Why gamble on your family's health?

If you really like this house, and/or if it is a really good deal, then have your lawyer negotiate for an extension of time on the inspection. That shouldn't be a problem considering the potential gravity of this situation.

Once your extension of time is in place then have someone take another look. You don't want to deal with a home that has mold contamination.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:44 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,663 times
If it was me, I would walk only because it could be a sign that other parts of the home weren't being maintained properly either. Water dripping through the ceiling is a big deal to me. That's something that has to be fixed immediately.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
I think others gave the best advice. If this house is a smoking deal and has everything you want and is in a prime location for you, then it is probably worth pursuing it further. If there are plenty of other homes that meet your needs and don't have the issue, then by all means pursue one of those instead.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:35 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,138,851 times
Does the house have city water or well water? If city water, you may want to find out from the water company what the hardness of the water is, and whether or not they would recommend a water softener. (I know people who were plagued with leaks for many years and needed to have a water softener installed, which is not cheap). If it's well water it would be a bit more complicated as you would need to have the water tested. It depends on what exactly is leaking.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Does the house have city water or well water? If city water, you may want to find out from the water company what the hardness of the water is, and whether or not they would recommend a water softener. (I know people who were plagued with leaks for many years and needed to have a water softener installed, which is not cheap). If it's well water it would be a bit more complicated as you would need to have the water tested. It depends on what exactly is leaking.
I was hoping to get some answers like this to better understand our options. Could you please explain more? How does the source of water affect the consequences of the water damage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey