Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:55 PM

8 posts, read 50,034 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, first post, and want to first give everyone a quick history before I drop my question. My wife and I, late twenties/early thirties are moving to the northern Bergen County area with our baby (8 months old). We have just visited the area and fell in love with the towns of Ridgewood and Ramsey. After visiting several towns in the area, including Glen Rock, Allendale, Ho-Ho-Kus, etc, we are down to the two towns.

We know that the two towns both have great education and pretty much non-existent crime. These are obvious traits to look for when you are planning to raise a family. But digging deeper, here's what we are looking for when looking for the town we lay our roots and grow old in:

- Houses with 3+ bedroom at a price range of 450-550K. We have no issue putting some money into the house to update it. We would like to be as close to the downtown as possible

- An active downtown (we know Ridgewood takes the cake on this one, but Ramsey's downtown seemed very nice with a lot to do. It had its very nice mom & pop shops as well)

- a VERY active community. My wife and I were both raised being very involved in sports and other activities. This is something that is very important to us and are going to pass on to our children. The town would need to have a very good recreation program. Active parents like ourselves would be a good opportunity for us to meet people as well.

- Between Ramsey and Ridgewood, which town is more open to new residents. Doing research, we have found that Ridgewood has a newcomers club. But does this club have participants that are our age (28 and 30)? Does Ramsey do something similar? We want to meet new people and develop friendships as we will be new to the area.

- Does either town have any programs for young moms/baby?

- Transportation to NY. We have done our research on NJ Transit. Both towns provide this, Ramsey adding another 10 min.

- As "Down to earth" as possible. Living in Ramsey or Ridgewood is going to bring a cost along with it. We know this. My wife and I do quite well, but were always raised to keep our feet on the ground. We expect to raise our children the same. Is that true for residents of these two towns? I know there is going to be a little bit of "nose in the air" syndrome, but is one town more grounded than the other?

SCHOOLS

- When it comes to schools, we know both towns are great. But is there a way to find out the students per classroom? I'm not sure if this is right, but i've heard that Ridgewood may have some crowding issues in the elementary schools. True?

I know this is a lot, but any help from current residents would be a great help!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 06:08 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,052,243 times
With your budget, which is on the low side, you will do better in Ramsey.

The schools are known to be great in Ramsey. But take a look at the NJ Report Cards and you can compare every bit of data you can imagine.

Down to Earth...I'd say Ramsey is more down to earth. Also, with your budget, I think it's a better fit for you.

Both towns have rec and all that. Don't know about a Newcomers Club. But of course, you can be as active as you want to be in either town.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:51 AM

302 posts, read 2,225,153 times
My neighbor in Ridgewood is active in the Newcomer's Club. They're in their mid thirties. When I see pics of the Club members in the Ridgewood News, they usually seem to be in your age range. You can PM me if you have any questions.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:40 AM

Ann and Bergenite,

Thank you for the quick responses. I'm quite handy, so that's why we are looking in that budget. There's also something really nice about personalizing your own home to your own tastes

I agree that ultimately, we will be the ones to determine how active we are. The town plays a part in it as well based on what they offer. I know Ramsey offers an adult soccer league, so that's pretty exciting as well. Sometimes when you see some towns with older residents, you dont get that active of a community.

What do you think about how inviting the residents are in those towns when it comes to new residents? We know that we are going to encounter some cliques in any town. But we want to be around people as inviting as we are

Old 03-23-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan1982 View Post
Ann and Bergenite,

Thank you for the quick responses. I'm quite handy, so that's why we are looking in that budget. There's also something really nice about personalizing your own home to your own tastes

I agree that ultimately, we will be the ones to determine how active we are. The town plays a part in it as well based on what they offer. I know Ramsey offers an adult soccer league, so that's pretty exciting as well. Sometimes when you see some towns with older residents, you dont get that active of a community.

What do you think about how inviting the residents are in those towns when it comes to new residents? We know that we are going to encounter some cliques in any town. But we want to be around people as inviting as we are
Oh gotcha, well that's great that you're handy, I'm sure there are some good deals out there now. Your money will definitely go further in Ramsey though.

I'd say the towns are equal in how inviting they are. There are kind of the standard ways to meet people in the 'burbs. If you have a baby, you can find a playgroup, etc. You meet people at preschool and school of course, sports, and of course, if you're lucky, on your street. I'd say you have to be proactive anywhere you live, but you guys sound like friendly, outgoing people.

Ramsey is a much smaller town, which might appeal to you.

Obviously, you can see I like Ramsey better

Old 03-23-2011, 08:04 AM

87,957 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Hands down, you are going to find far less snobbery in Ramsey than in Ridgewood. This is not to say everyone in Ridgewood has their nose in the air, but as with all stereotypes, there is some truth in the perception. The town is big enough, however, that I doubt you'd have any problem finding folks like yourselves.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hands down, you are going to find far less snobbery in Ramsey than in Ridgewood. This is not to say everyone in Ridgewood has their nose in the air, but as with all stereotypes, there is some truth in the perception. The town is big enough, however, that I doubt you'd have any problem finding folks like yourselves.
Agreed.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:11 AM

391 posts, read 1,470,731 times
i spend the first 21 yrs of my life in Ridgewood, I recommend the town highly. i'm a life long nj resident, having lived in bergen, hudson, morris, monmouth and currently union county. of all the places i've lived, i like Ridgewood the best, i still have ties to the town, and visit fairly reguarly. i'm in Westfield now, which is a close second.

i think the whole "snob" thing in RW really gets over blown. sure they exist, i'm not going to deny that, but you'll find many down to earth people as well. it's funny too, because just about all of the old money families i knew growing up were the nicest people. it's the nouveau types that think they have something to prove for some reason.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks to everyone for the responses! It's amazing how important certain things become when life introduces little ones!!

Old 03-23-2011, 02:22 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,800,371 times
IMO Ramsey is more down to earth. I like it better. I grew up in Ridgewood and live in Midland PArk part time.

question is what does down to earth mean
Answer I dont know

Ramsey has a much better Farmers market
has a gardening club with plant sales, etc.

When was your baby born? ours is Aug 1

Ridgewood is fine too, and also a bit closer to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey