U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 05:46 PM

12,542 posts, read 16,585,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think one positive that you have is that when people pay for something, they value it more. so it may encourage some parents to get more involved in their children's education.
can you name me a single person in america that doesn't pay for public education?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Oh, I misread your post.
yeah, definitely. when i read it, it looked like he was laughing at the joke that is newark.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:57 PM

1,527 posts, read 3,314,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
yeah, definitely. when i read it, it looked like he was laughing at the joke that is newark.
Wait, so are all his posts snark? Like the ones where he calls Christie chubby?

Now I'm confused.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:17 PM

1,885 posts, read 2,722,407 times
Quote:
I just picked one school, but Malcolm X Shabazz High School in Newark spends $17,000 per year per student. Still, over 50% of the students aren't proficient in Language Arts, and over 78% aren't proficient at Math.

Jersey Man, what is the right amount? I'm seriously asking. Clearly, you think 17K is too low. 20K per student? 30K? 50K?
I for one agree that money will not solve the problem but what most of you dont understand is that mandates=money. Urban areas have many many more special education, speech, ESL and other needs that are mandated by law. This all adds up to more money. Poverty creates these problems and the sad fact remains we will always have poverty.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Wait, so are all his posts snark? Like the ones where he calls Christie chubby?

Now I'm confused.
he strikes me as someone in the middle who is torn on things like i am. but everyone knows newark doesnt need more moola. it needs smarter moola

Old 03-24-2011, 08:23 PM

3,986 posts, read 5,307,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I think its seriously time to think about getting rid of public schools. Blasphemy? Unthinkable? Undoable? Maybe not. The government does most things poorly. And as we see, schools are no exception. Imagine a world where everyone pays for their own kids to be educated, and the schools compete with each other like businesses to provide the best education.

I'm imagining it. And beginning to like it.
We've had such a thing for hundreds of years. It's called private school and you're free to send your kids there. People who lived in NYC sent their kids to catholic schools if they thought the local pubic schools were not up to snuff. But they didn't beyotch about the public school system at the same time or cry for vouchers. Our governor sends his kids to Catholic schools while demonizing public schools - go figure. He went to Livingston public, a great district.

Charter schools are essentially private schools and there's plenty of studies that show that they SUCK as much as the worst public schools. And their administrators are heavily compensated too. So improve the schools in existence or make a whole parallel school system whose effectiveness is very much an issue? I'd go with strenghtening the system that 90% of the people use and have faith in.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:37 PM

1,885 posts, read 2,722,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I think its seriously time to think about getting rid of public schools. Blasphemy? Unthinkable? Undoable? Maybe not. The government does most things poorly. And as we see, schools are no exception. Imagine a world where everyone pays for their own kids to be educated, and the schools compete with each other like businesses to provide the best education.

I'm imagining it. And beginning to like it.
The govt does most things poorly? Um ok. Who exactly saved all those govt oops i mean private companies that did things soo well?

Old 03-24-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
The govt does most things poorly? Um ok. Who exactly saved all those govt oops i mean private companies that did things soo well?
don't you know that those private companies did things poorly because of the big bad government? they made them do it. of course.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:41 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/28/bu...t.html?_r=3&hp

Old 03-25-2011, 05:54 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,314,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
We've had such a thing for hundreds of years. It's called private school and you're free to send your kids there. People who lived in NYC sent their kids to catholic schools if they thought the local pubic schools were not up to snuff. But they didn't beyotch about the public school system at the same time or cry for vouchers. Our governor sends his kids to Catholic schools while demonizing public schools - go figure. He went to Livingston public, a great district.

Charter schools are essentially private schools and there's plenty of studies that show that they SUCK as much as the worst public schools. And their administrators are heavily compensated too. So improve the schools in existence or make a whole parallel school system whose effectiveness is very much an issue? I'd go with strenghtening the system that 90% of the people use and have faith in.
Yes, but you lose that freedom to go to private schools when you are crippled by property taxes for public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey