Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:17 PM

4 posts, read 5,255 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have been a lurker for awhile and love this site. I am looking to move myself, wife, and 1 year old to New Jersey. I am a life long Brooklynite, but we are getting priced out of Brooklyn by all the hipsters. I currently live in Cobble hill in a tiny apartment. My wife and I would like to stay in Brooklyn but after searching we saw that we could have a better quality of life by moving to Jersey. I have been to Jersey many times but don't know the neighborhoods too well. We are done with the party scene and are more interested in family recreation and being around good schools. We have seen some really nice apartments in Jersey City for reasonable prices. I also need to be next to transportation to my job in Midtown Manhattan. Any ideas would be helpful...

Randy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 02:36 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,748 times
Well are you looking to buy or rent? And what is your budget? My girlfriend and I are also leaving NY (Astoria, Queens) for New Jersey and are looking to rent around the Ridgefield Park/Bogota area. It's close to many bus lines going into Port Authority, has a good amount of local pubs and places to eat, convenient to Rt 80, Turnpike, Parkway, ect.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:48 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
i think parts of jersey city would be a great option for you. hoboken is more party scene. i'm not as familiar with other urban-like towns besides jersey city. but that's a great start.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:43 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Jersey city might be a good *temporary* move for you. Go there and rent for a few years, then GTFO when you need to use the public schools.

For where to go then, it's really impossible to give good advice without a budget. A short commute and good schools is what most people want, and the best option for you will depend very much on what you can/are willing to pay.

In more immediately helpful terms, have you considered staying in Brooklyn? For the price of a tiny place in Cobble Hill, you could get a much more spacious place in an unfashionable but safe, middle-class family part of Brooklyn (Bay Ridge, Midwood, etc.), with viable public schools and a better commute time (although you will want to go to the suburbs if you have another kid).

Old 03-24-2011, 06:45 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Jersey city might be a good *temporary* move for you. Go there and rent for a few years, then GTFO when you need to use the public schools.

For where to go then, it's really impossible to give good advice without a budget. A short commute and good schools is what most people want, and the best option for you will depend very much on what you can/are willing to pay.

In more immediately helpful terms, have you considered staying in Brooklyn? For the price of a tiny place in Cobble Hill, you could get a much more spacious place in an unfashionable but safe, middle-class family part of Brooklyn (Bay Ridge, Midwood, etc.), with viable public schools and a better commute time (although you will want to go to the suburbs if you have another kid).
true...but isn't there 1 school in jersey city that's highly rated in the state?

Old 03-24-2011, 10:57 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
true...but isn't there 1 school in jersey city that's highly rated in the state?
I don't think so, but, maybe

What do you bet the local rents for family sized accommodations in that area would be if there is though?

Guess it's worth looking into to see if it exists, but, I wouldn't get any hopes up.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:53 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
There is, I think it's a charter. So, you couldn't move there counting on getting in there, obviously.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:46 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times
If you like the atmosphere of brooklyn, I think JC will feel closest to home, and be a bit cheaper. There are some good deals to be found there, just search and take your time. JC or BK are next on my list of places to move if I end up with extra money to spend.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
If you like the atmosphere of brooklyn, I think JC will feel closest to home, and be a bit cheaper. There are some good deals to be found there, just search and take your time. JC or BK are next on my list of places to move if I end up with extra money to spend.
Yeah, but they have a kid. JC isn't great on the school situation.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Well are you looking to buy or rent? And what is your budget? My girlfriend and I are also leaving NY (Astoria, Queens) for New Jersey and are looking to rent around the Ridgefield Park/Bogota area. It's close to many bus lines going into Port Authority, has a good amount of local pubs and places to eat, convenient to Rt 80, Turnpike, Parkway, ect.
Good choice! Don't know about Bogota, but RP has good schools too and just got voted in the top ten towns to raise kids or something like that.

I don't know why people are so hung up on the trains, there are so many bus options too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey