U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 06:13 PM

4 posts, read 9,902 times

Advertisements

Born & raised in Jersey City & now I can't stand it, its way too many people here & the schools are horrible. Thinking of moving to Bloomfield to let my son start high school there in 2 years. Budget for a 2 bedroom will be around $1300 month. Need to be near high school or bus stop. Will also need to commute to Jersey City for work. Any suggestions woud be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 07:38 PM

3,986 posts, read 5,495,864 times
I think Bloomfield would be marginally better HS but it's not the best around either.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:29 PM

3,919 posts, read 8,431,003 times
I think it is a big step up. 88% of Bloomfield HS graduates go on to some type of post HS education and the student to teacher ratio is 12 to 1. Both are pretty good in my opinion.

I would go for it.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:39 PM

3,919 posts, read 8,431,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I think Bloomfield would be marginally better HS but it's not the best around either.
It is a lot more then "marginally better". You are not going to have students with parents who are drug addicts or completely don't care in Bloomfield like you would in Jersey City. If the kid and parents put in a good effort, they will be just fine going to school in Bloomfield.

Not everybody can afford to live in Millburn, Ridgewood or Chatham...

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 03-30-2011 at 03:08 PM..

Old 03-26-2011, 08:23 AM

3,986 posts, read 5,495,864 times
Didn't say everyone has to live in elite towns. The OP said he/she wanted to move to a town other than JC to send their kid to a decent HS. But just doing a 10 second Google and you'll find that Bloomfield High's ranked #226 by NJ Monthly. Behind Hoboken, Hackensack, Belleville and Hillside. I wouldn't call #226 out of 322 "decent" by any measure. Just maybe in comparison to JC schools which is a low bar to clear.

2010 Top High Schools in New Jersey-www.njmonthly.com

Old 03-29-2011, 04:17 PM

4 posts, read 9,902 times
A friend of mine told me to steer clear of Bloomfield near the border of East Orange. Are there any other areas I should avoid?

Old 03-29-2011, 06:52 PM

2,718 posts, read 9,119,251 times
I would stay away from the Newark border also. Bloomfield HS is fine.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:49 AM

4 posts, read 6,393 times
Default Bloomfield-Watsessing area

I am now in the Watsessing (South-Bloomfield Area). I haven't had any problem with crime-it can be noisy though. It is a very diverse area-(older Italian families, Hispanic and Black and some Indians and Philipinos) and some blocks are getting a little run-down but there is a train station one block from my house and buses nearby. I ususally drive and the Parkway is very convenient. Montclair and Glen Ridge are nearby. There are many shops within walking distance (Home Depot is the main hub). This is the most convenient area for me, but the North end is has more single family homes and a lovely park-Brookdale Park. There are some nice garden apartments in the town and it has a lot of civic pride. Most of the homes around here have security systems if that tells you anything.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:09 AM

702 posts, read 1,364,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Didn't say everyone has to live in elite towns. The OP said he/she wanted to move to a town other than JC to send their kid to a decent HS. But just doing a 10 second Google and you'll find that Bloomfield High's ranked #226 by NJ Monthly. Behind Hoboken, Hackensack, Belleville and Hillside. I wouldn't call #226 out of 322 "decent" by any measure. Just maybe in comparison to JC schools which is a low bar to clear.

2010 Top High Schools in New Jersey-www.njmonthly.com
We all know these ranks are out of whack. They are judged on some stupid standards which skew the rankings. I would rather go to Bloomfield HS BY FAR then all these towns except maybe hackensack. just stay clear of EO/Newark border and u will be fine.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:03 PM

23 posts, read 58,102 times
Default Oakview area advice?

I'm considering buying in the Oakview area of Bloomfield. Any advice on this area and how it compares to the Brookdale area I hear so much about? Or are they pretty much the same? I've been primarily searching in Nutley and Bloomfield for a 3 bed, 1.5 -2 bath home for under $400k. My husband and I are married and in our 20s with no kids yet but will probably start soon. Bloomfield has so many homes that meet our search criteria and are in move-in condition for this price range. We like Nutley because it's a smaller town, but at the same time it's been very difficult to find move-in ready homes in this price range. Taxes seem to be slight to moderately higher in Bloomfield than in Nutley. Should I just settle in Bloomfield or keep searching for a home in Nutley for future re-sale purposes? Seems like everyone is trying to get out of Bloomfield with the high taxes TIA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or