Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:39 AM

3 posts, read 11,952 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, Holmdel is in our top 2 places being considered for our next move (the other choice being Westfield). Thanks to the few threads related to Holmdel (and also to all the driving we've done around there), we have a pretty good idea of the area in Holmdel where we'd like to settle in if we end up going that route. We'd love to get the input from locals on the following questions :
- Is there anything we need to know about the neighborhood east of the Village Elementary school (delimited northbound by McCampbell Rd and southbound by Main St and within a mile of the school) ? i.e, too noisy/quiet, type of residents (families/retirees), etc..
- Where do you go for grocery shopping ?
- What do you think of the Village Elementary school ?
- If you commute to the city for work, how long does it take you and how do you do it (bus ? train ? cost ?)
- How would you quantity the racial/ethnicity mix ? (we're a mixed couple and want to try to find a place where there's a minimum diversity..), i.e out of a representative sample of 100 people, how many are african american/caucasian/asian (chinese, japanese)/asian (indian)/hispanic ?
- Why is it that a lot of houses have sceptic tanks as opposed to connection to the sewer system ?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help you can provide us. We love Holmdel (my husband proposed to me at Holmdel Park about a decade ago ) but would like to finish our homeworks before deciding on the next step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 06:13 AM

Default any input

just wondering if there are any "holmdelians" in this forum that can help us with our previous post. thanks

Old 03-31-2011, 08:09 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
I think the City Data pages for each town give the racial breakdowns.

For the schools, the best thing to do is to look at the NJ Report Cards on the NJ Department of Education site.

Septic tanks are very common in many towns in NJ. It just means they didn't put in sewer lines and were rural when they were developed.

I don't know Holmdel specifically, so maybe someone else will chime in!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:15 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajel View Post
- Is there anything we need to know about the neighborhood east of the Village Elementary school (delimited northbound by McCampbell Rd and southbound by Main St and within a mile of the school) ? i.e, too noisy/quiet, type of residents (families/retirees), etc..
- Where do you go for grocery shopping ?
- What do you think of the Village Elementary school ?
- If you commute to the city for work, how long does it take you and how do you do it (bus ? train ? cost ?)
- How would you quantity the racial/ethnicity mix ? (we're a mixed couple and want to try to find a place where there's a minimum diversity..), i.e out of a representative sample of 100 people, how many are african american/caucasian/asian (chinese, japanese)/asian (indian)/hispanic ?
- Why is it that a lot of houses have sceptic tanks as opposed to connection to the sewer system ?
as a holmdel resident i feel obligated to help but i have only lived her 1.5 years so i dont know the answer to a lot of your questions.

dont know that neighborhood

i get most of my food at costco and shop rite is where i get most of the rest of the food. but there are a bunch of supermarkets and i always check the circulars every week for the best prices.

i dont know that school.

i drive to brooklyn and it takes me 1-1.5 hours.

i think the racial mix is mostly white with a good percentage of asian (chinese) people.

i dont have a septic tank. dont know about anyone else or the town in general.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:01 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,248 times
Holmdel is very expensive. I do not know of your budget. It is the one school district in that area that is on par with school districts in other areas of similar affluence on other parts of the state, but I wouldn't call it the best of anything. There is a somewhat large Chinese population, but other than that I really don't know how diverse it is. Some other towns in that area (Marlboro, Manalapan, etc) can be very snotty for no good reason. Have no exp with that in Holmdel though. Spend some time there.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Holmdel is very expensive. I do not know of your budget. It is the one school district in that area that is on par with school districts in other areas of similar affluence on other parts of the state, but I wouldn't call it the best of anything. There is a somewhat large Chinese population, but other than that I really don't know how diverse it is. Some other towns in that area (Marlboro, Manalapan, etc) can be very snotty for no good reason. Have no exp with that in Holmdel though. Spend some time there.
ive lived in manalapan, marlboro and holmdel and never encountered snotty people.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:36 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ive lived in manalapan, marlboro and holmdel and never encountered snotty people.
What's your definition of snotty?

Old 04-01-2011, 07:49 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Hmmm. Maybe because you ARE the snotty people?

Just remembering a recent thread where you stated you were too elitist and snobby for something or other...

Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hmmm. Maybe because you ARE the snotty people?

Just remembering a recent thread where you stated you were too elitist and snobby for something or other...
haha thats possible.

while i have my preferences about the areas im in and the people i am around, i believe that nobody would be able to tell that from me speaking with them. so i guess if the person meant snotty being the person's preferences, then i probably have been around many snotty people and i am one. but if they were talking about how they treat others, then i always treat people kindly and have always received similar treatment.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:31 PM

thanks for all your replies. Would hardly say CaptainNJ is snotty judging from how astute he is in collecting the weekly supermarket promos By the way, I'm assuming all those supermarkets are on Rt 35 (do you know of any that would be closer to Rt 520, south east of holmdel ?). If you have kids, do you feel like the school system is as good as promoted or a little over hyped ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey