Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 02:41 PM

27 posts, read 30,999 times

Advertisements

I'm currently renting in Bergen County (way overpriced) and have looked at homes to move into within the next 6 months. I'm finding that despite most homes being extremely overpriced and small, MANY homes do not have central AC even at price points most people would consider very high. I'm looking between the 400K-600K range. I would think for over half a million dollars, a house would have central AC? Isn't that a basic necessity?

I know people always respond by saying it's not necessary in the north, but come on, that's not true at all. It's very hot from at least late June through August - that's 3 months where having AC is necessary. You can use window units, yes, but I'm used to window units being reserved for homes in the ghetto - they're noisy, block your window light, and don't really cool the whole house evenly.

Am I the only one who thinks $500K+ homes with giant window unit sticking out everywhere is completely bizarre?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 02:45 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI9045 View Post
I'm currently renting in Bergen County (way overpriced) and have looked at homes to move into within the next 6 months. I'm finding that despite most homes being extremely overpriced and small, MANY homes do not have central AC even at price points most people would consider very high. I'm looking between the 400K-600K range. I would think for over half a million dollars, a house would have central AC? Isn't that a basic necessity?

I know people always respond by saying it's not necessary in the north, but come on, that's not true at all. It's very hot from at least late June through August - that's 3 months where having AC is necessary. You can use window units, yes, but I'm used to window units being reserved for homes in the ghetto - they're noisy, block your window light, and don't really cool the whole house evenly.

Am I the only one who thinks $500K+ homes with giant window unit sticking out everywhere is completely bizarre?
How old is the house? My mother's house in NW Bergen County--the home I grew up in--was built in 1957. It's got six bedrooms and three baths, no central air. We had window units in the upstairs because it was converted from an attic and it got hot up there, but it wasn't worth it for the rest of the house. It was built before contractors mowed down every tree in sight. Cut out of the woods, actually. The trees shade the house and there's almost always a breeze.

Newer houses seem to have central AC. It's not a basic necessity for everyone. My parents didn't want air-conditioning. They didn't like it. Most summers it's more like six weeks that you really need AC if you've got cross-ventilation.

And whether a Bergen County house that costs $400K - $600K is really "Expensive"--well, that's another discussion.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:50 PM

27 posts, read 30,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
How old is the house? My mother's house in NW Bergen County--the home I grew up in--was built in 1957. It's got six bedrooms and three baths, no central air. We had window units in the upstairs because it was converted from an attic and it got hot up there, but it wasn't worth it for the rest of the house. It was built before contractors mowed down every tree in sight. Cut out of the woods, actually. The trees shade the house and there's almost always a breeze.

Newer houses seem to have central AC. It's not a basic necessity for everyone. My parents didn't want air-conditioning. They didn't like it. Most summers it's more like six weeks that you really need AC if you've got cross-ventilation.

And whether a Bergen County house that costs $400K - $600K is really "Expensive"--well, that's another discussion.
No, I don't think 400K to 600K is expensive for Bergen...just expensive in GENERAL to the US average. Compared to the minimal cost of putting in AC, it makes no sense. If these were 100K homes, I'd understand if they were old and putting in AC would be 10% of the total home value...but at half a million, I think it makes more sense.

There's 6 weeks where you NEED AC, yes, but more like 3-4 months where it's more comfortable. High 70s/low 80s is not a comfortable temperature indoors.

I just don't get why people renovate old homes and put more money into the countertops then having a comfortable air temperature. And those window units hanging off every window look AWFUL

Old 09-11-2014, 02:56 PM

527 posts, read 1,408,659 times
Most homes in Bergen county are older.
These homes were not built with AC in mind
They are not very condusive to running duckwork and such, as a retrofit

There are still a lot of homes with radiators for heat.

If a home doesn't have forced hot air ducts.
Installation costs go thru the roof for ductwork

And you think $400-600 is "way" over priced in Bergen county
I think you have a lot to learn, depending on the houses you are looking at

Old 09-11-2014, 02:58 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:

The houses are probably too old to have come with central air, and the owners either don't want to spend the money to install it or don't mind window units. My house (Union County) is old and was built without AC and when my parents bought it, they had central air installed almost right away. But most homes on my street have the window units, we're some of the few people in the neighborhood who have central air.

I agree with you, I much prefer central air too, but that's probably because I'm used to it. My aunt also lives in an old house in my town and they have no central air, but the window units work fine to cool the house down. I honestly barely notice a difference, but then again their house is pretty open and compact so air flows well.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:28 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,921 times
Quote:

This is exactly why I bought in Wayne. At least my $500K+ house looks the part...but on the flip side I have to live with the constant shame of being in...gasp... Passaic county.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:21 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
No, I don't think 400K to 600K is expensive for Bergen...just expensive in GENERAL to the US average. Compared to the minimal cost of putting in AC, it makes no sense. If these were 100K homes, I'd understand if they were old and putting in AC would be 10% of the total home value...but at half a million, I think it makes more sense.

There's 6 weeks where you NEED AC, yes, but more like 3-4 months where it's more comfortable. High 70s/low 80s is not a comfortable temperature indoors.

I just don't get why people renovate old homes and put more money into the countertops then having a comfortable air temperature. And those window units hanging off every window look AWFUL
I personally prefer buff young men with large fronds fanning me. It looks nicer, too.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:42 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
I think that if the OP researches the actual construction date of those homes, he will find that they were built before central A/C became commonplace. In other words, those expensive houses--sans central A/C--were probably built over 45 years ago. Cosmetic updates might conceal the actual age of these houses, but--trust me--they are probably older than you thought.

My parents bought a townhouse in Bayonne (a decidedly NON upscale town) in 1967, and it came with central A/C, all appliances, and hardwood floors for the grand total of $26,000.

Those relatively-expensive Bergen County houses w/o central A/C are likely to be at least 45 years old, and may actually be more than 50 years old.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:21 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,773,597 times
Why would low end homes at $400K have AC?

Old 09-11-2014, 06:25 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,491 times
Quote:
...Am I the only one who thinks $500K+ homes with giant window unit sticking out everywhere is completely bizarre?
Yes, for a number of reasons aside those already mentioned, the foremost of which is that you're not really looking at $500K homes.
You're looking at $100K homes on $400K lots! Location, location, location — the value is in the land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey