U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2011, 04:41 PM

12 posts, read 39,394 times

Advertisements

hi,
my husband and I have orders to move to Mcguire, NJ. I have never been anywhere in the east before. i have no idea what to expect. Im originally from Iowa and we moved to florida 2 years ago. not sure what to expect of the north east coast.

We have a pitbull and my main concern is where can we live with a pitbull? i tried to find houses for rent but they are really expensive. im surprised with the economy how high rentals and homes for sale are up there.

How are the people there? are they rude?

what kind of activities are there? of course we can drive to NY, or go to the beach but what about things to do in the close area of the base where we will be living??

im going to have to find a job when i move there. hows the job market up there? I work in finance and looking at the map on Google i just see trees everywhere.lol. i have a feeling im going to be unemployed for a while or i might have to drive a long ways to work anywhere..

any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. were moving up there in july/august.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 05:10 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,108,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghini.anderson View Post
hi,
my husband and I have orders to move to Mcguire, NJ. I have never been anywhere in the east before. i have no idea what to expect. Im originally from Iowa and we moved to florida 2 years ago. not sure what to expect of the north east coast.

We have a pitbull and my main concern is where can we live with a pitbull? i tried to find houses for rent but they are really expensive. im surprised with the economy how high rentals and homes for sale are up there.

what kind of activities are there? of course we can drive to NY, or go to the beach but what about things to do in the close area of the base where we will be living??

im going to have to find a job when i move there. hows the job market up there? I work in finance and looking at the map on Google i just see trees everywhere.lol. i have a feeling im going to be unemployed for a while or i might have to drive a long ways to work anywhere..

any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. were moving up there in july/august.
OUCH the bus that serves that area is 317 it takes you from MCguire directly to philly or lakewood where you can get 139 to NYC. or for speed 559 to toms river for 137/319 time it right though or else!!!! 317 runs bi-hourly!!!!!! 139 practically 24/7 almost!!!! NJT service here is quite poor!!! with high gass prices you will be in for hell at the pump. Cause the 317 wont be much help

Old 04-02-2011, 05:16 PM

570 posts, read 1,042,618 times
You will most likely have to commute to Philly or NYC if you are looking for an executive level finance job. The area around Ft Dix is rather rural, very pretty. But... unless you like hiking and camping, you are looking at an hour or more for most activities. You will be within reach of the shore, Atlantic City, Philly, NYC, about 50-90 minutes to any of them.

Don't pay attention to what you may have heard about Jersey. The people are not rude, especially in that area. It's friendly, laid back, you won't have to pump your own gas.

I'm guessing you won't be living on base. Rents and home prices are high in NJ. Be prepared for some sticker shock there.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:31 PM

lol thanks. yea with the limited housing options it would be best to live on base but they dont allow pitbulls on base.i really wish he would have never bought this dog. ..it sounds pretty there- i love the outdoors and nature so it sounds like it will be really nice. i was looking at all the pics everyone posted on here for NJ. have you been on base? do they have a nice base there? how is the gym on base? the one here at macdill is a good size gym but the parking really sucks.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
OUCH the bus that serves that area is 317 it takes you from MCguire directly to philly or lakewood where you can get 139 to NYC. or for speed 559 to toms river for 137/319 time it right though or else!!!! 317 runs bi-hourly!!!!!! 139 practically 24/7 almost!!!! NJT service here is quite poor!!! with high gass prices you will be in for hell at the pump. Cause the 317 wont be much help
lol. dang, the cost of gas anymore it wont be worth it to drive a long ways to work anywhere.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:36 PM

There is a way to manipulate NJT bus rtes though I have done it many times their price is less than gas!!! and if you learn u will be fine visit driveless.com then click google transit map click SJ bus rtes you will learn where NJT goes

Old 04-02-2011, 08:40 PM

yea .....but we both have new cars and it wouldnt make sense to never drive them as much as we have to pay a month just to have them. and i really dont feel comfortable riding a bus and my husband would not like that either. ive never rode on a bus before.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
yea .....but we both have new cars and it wouldnt make sense to never drive them as much as we have to pay a month just to have them. and i really dont feel comfortable riding a bus and my husband would not like that either. ive never rode on a bus before.
The buses ARE COACHES!!!!!!! With soft reclining seats however. O and if you drove somewhere along where the bus travels THEN THE BUS WOULD BE FASTER IN THAT CASE!!!! BUT it would still make sense to diversify your travel options cause there are travel patterns that need cars and others where even a bus will be faster!!!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:17 AM

9,173 posts, read 20,208,384 times
Quote:
hi,

You can live anywhere off base. Depending on your salary; a lot of military live in Browns Mills- there are different sections of Browns Mills- Country Lakes is nice; There is an Acme in town; Fashion Bug; Peebles- which can be an addicting store. When I lived in CL; I could shop where ever I wanted; everything was 30 minutes - Toms River; Burlington; Lumberton. There is a farmers market on rt 206 in Columbus.

I also lived in Presidential Lakes. When I lived in PL; I used to go to Manahawkin a lot- Walmart; Pathmark.

A lot of military bought houses in Browns Mills because the taxes are cheap.

You also have other military that live in surrounding towns.
It's been years since I've driven through the base. 9/11 seriously put a dent in non-military because we had to drive around the base to go anywhere.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You can live anywhere off base. Depending on your salary; a lot of military live in Browns Mills- there are different sections of Browns Mills- Country Lakes is nice; There is an Acme in town; Fashion Bug; Peebles- which can be an addicting store. When I lived in CL; I could shop where ever I wanted; everything was 30 minutes - Toms River; Burlington; Lumberton. There is a farmers market on rt 206 in Columbus.

I also lived in Presidential Lakes. When I lived in PL; I used to go to Manahawkin a lot- Walmart; Pathmark.

A lot of military bought houses in Browns Mills because the taxes are cheap.

You also have other military that live in surrounding towns.
It's been years since I've driven through the base. 9/11 seriously put a dent in non-military because we had to drive around the base to go anywhere.
even better 317 serves those towns directly!!!!! use 317 to the base and for walmart drive. thanks for exposing how ****ty NJT really is though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey