Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:41 AM

18 posts, read 108,771 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm potentially moving from Seattle to Newark for a job with my family and I was hoping to get an idea of good towns to live in given the criteria I filled out below. Also, I was curious if anybody commutes from the Monmouth County (red bank, little silver, fair heven) area to Newark and could talk about what their commute is like? Train is an option, but car would be preferred. Thanks for your time.

Where are you coming from? Seattle, WA
Why are you moving? Job
Where will you be working? Newark, NJ

Will you buy or rent? rent first and then buy
What is your budget? $2500/month
What kind of place are you looking for? 3-4 bedroom, 2+ bath

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? wife, 2 kids (4 and 1 years old)
Do you need/want good public schools? Yes, want good public schools.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in: families with young children, commutable to Newark, safe, good public schools

List three things that are important to you in order of importance. safety, family oriented, short commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 10:21 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Waldwick in NW Bergen County. $2500 might get you 3 BRs. Small community, nice downtown, family-oriented, good schools, 10 minutes to Paramus malls and Ridgewood's downtown. Probably 40-45 mins. to Newark.

Shore towns are not easily commutable to Newark. You'd be better to stay on train lines that run through Newark. Check out njtransit.com and towns like East Brunswick, South Brunswick, Princeton. They'd be more direct to Newark.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:48 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chreeg View Post
Hello,
I'm potentially moving from Seattle to Newark for a job with my family and I was hoping to get an idea of good towns to live in given the criteria I filled out below. Also, I was curious if anybody commutes from the Monmouth County (red bank, little silver, fair heven) area to Newark and could talk about what their commute is like? Train is an option, but car would be preferred. Thanks for your time.

Where are you coming from? Seattle, WA
Why are you moving? Job
Where will you be working? Newark, NJ

Will you buy or rent? rent first and then buy

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? wife, 2 kids (4 and 1 years old)
Do you need/want good public schools? Yes, want good public schools.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in: families with young children, commutable to Newark, safe, good public schools

List three things that are important to you in order of importance. safety, family oriented, short commute.
anywhere with a train station!!!!

Old 04-09-2011, 11:00 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Waldwick in NW Bergen County. $2500 might get you 3 BRs. Small community, nice downtown, family-oriented, good schools, 10 minutes to Paramus malls and Ridgewood's downtown. Probably 40-45 mins. to Newark.

Shore towns are not easily commutable to Newark. You'd be better to stay on train lines that run through Newark. Check out njtransit.com and towns like East Brunswick, South Brunswick, Princeton. They'd be more direct to Newark.
The North Jersey Coast line goes to Newark , same with the Raritan Valley line , Northeast Corridor , Morristown line , Gladstone branch , Montclair line and many future lines. Newark is the Main JCT for all the states Railways , except the Northern Network.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:01 PM

360 posts, read 1,019,079 times
$2500 is low for a 3 bedroom in North Jersey, particularly somewhere with a good school district. It's possible but hard to find.

I'd go with living somewhere further out and taking the train to Newark for a few reasons.

1) Parking in Newark sucks and unless your company pays for a garage for you, it's going to be an expensive hassle to drive to work.

2) Newark is VERY easily reached by train. The NJ Coast, NE Corridor and Raritan Valley Lines all stop at Newark Penn. The Morris-Essex and Montclair lines stop at Newark Broad St. The Newark Light Rail runs between both stations and pretty much every major stop for work in between.

3) Good school districts and family oriented areas tend to be further out from Newark, the further you get from NYC the lower the prices get as well.

How much of a commute via train would you be willing to do? This will help with the actual pinpointing of where to start looking - an half hour via train to Newark gives options and an hour gives a LOT more.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:19 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
1) Parking in Newark sucks and unless your company pays for a garage for you, it's going to be an expensive hassle to drive to work.
The flip side of this is that if you do have available parking, a lot of good options within a thirty minute drive open up. Southern Bergen county has several towns that offer good schools for relatively reasonable prices, and would be a perfectly doable commute -- I have no clue what full-sized houses generally rent for [anywhere], but, I would look into fair lawn or rutherford if they are cheap enough (might be, dunno) and parking isn't a problem for you.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:35 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
West Orange. My wife commutes to Newark from here every day and it takes her 12 minutes.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:42 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Umm, Long Branch? Red Bank? Manalapan? Belmar? All have train service(some direct south of Long Branch during rush hours). Just have to learn the schedule, which isn't hard if you have a high school degree.

Quote:
Why not go on craigslist? 2500 isn't low at all for a 3br 2ba. Found some on craigslist for under $2000 in Central Jersey.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:21 PM

18 posts, read 108,771 times
Thanks for the all information/suggestions. I'd be willing to do 45 minutes door to door, although I guess if quality of life increases I would go to an hour.

The location of the job is about 1-2 miles away from newark penn station; close to the library. How does one get from penn station to the library? Bus? What's that like?

Old 04-09-2011, 05:56 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chreeg View Post

The location of the job is about 1-2 miles away from newark penn station; close to the library. How does one get from penn station to the library? Bus? What's that like?
Actually it's about a mile. Light rail to Atlantic Street, walk 2 blocks over. To get back to Penn the light rail station is in front of Washington Park which is in front of the library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey