Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 PM

16 posts, read 30,239 times

Advertisements

Hi world. I have been searching for jobs for quite a while now and never considered looking at NJ until recently. I submitted several apps this weekend for positions in Princeton and a couple in Ewing. I know nothing about NJ and I have only been there once (Jersey City) to stay with a friend as I commuted into NYC.

Anyway, I don't drive because my eyes are pretty terrible, so I rely on public transportation, walking, taxis, and friends. What parts of New Jersey are safe, diverse, and pedestrian-friendly for people like me? I am also very much into the cultural scene, so a place with a good cultural vibe (plays, museums, concerts) and something of a downtown area would be nice. Something with easily accessible grocery stores, banks, gyms, hospitals, and so on.

Any suggestions appreciated....then I can look up the individual cities/towns later. :-) ....oh, economical would be nice too. I don't know what 1BR rents are like up there, but I am aware that the closer you get to NYC, the more expensive it becomes. Not concerned with being close to NYC, just mainly concerned with all the other stuff above.

Last edited by ArtsyLinguist; 04-04-2011 at 11:58 PM.. Reason: I meant to say NJ in the title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 12:52 AM

589 posts, read 1,220,255 times
hoboken

Old 04-05-2011, 04:13 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
Hudson County in general. Scale the coast from Fort Lee to Jersey City and you'll find some town that fits your needs...pricewise, diversity, etc.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:34 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,829 times
Princeton the town is walkable. If you are working in Princeton proper, and living there, you should be fine without a car. There is a train line also to NYC right there. However, the greater Princeton area, which includes sort of a bunch of towns around it, is not walkable and I would not rec. it without a car.

Not so sure on Ewing, I think that might require a car, although there might be housing close by enough that you could walk.

Rents are pretty much high here everywhere! Not sure what your rental budget roughly is, but if you have an idea, people might be able to help you think of some towns.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 AM

Where I am now, I pay $780/month for a mid-sized 1BR. This includes heat and cooking gas. Electric is extra and water/sewage is paid at a fixed rate every 3 or 4 months (I forget which, but it's $60 for each payment). I live in a nice area of my city and it's a pedestrian's paradise, but also an expensive neighborhood compared to other areas in the city with more space. If I go to NJ, I would definitely be willing to have a roommate(s) to cut down on costs. My budget for housing would depend on whatever salary I could secure, of course, if my share of rent were less than what I'm paying now, that would be preferred. If I am offered one of the positions I really want, my budget would bo up to $900-$1000 for my share of rent.

Last edited by ArtsyLinguist; 04-05-2011 at 08:48 AM..

Old 04-05-2011, 08:55 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyLinguist View Post
Where I am now, I pay $780/month for a mid-sized 1BR. This includes heat and cooking gas. Electric is extra and water/sewage is paid at a fixed rate every 3 or 4 months (I forget which, but it's $60 for each payment). I live in a nice area of my city and it's a pedestrian's paradise, but also an expensive neighborhood compared to other areas in the city with more space. If I go to NJ, I would definitely be willing to have a roommate(s) to cut down on costs. My budget for housing would depend on whatever salary I could secure, of course, if my share of rent were less than what I'm paying now, that would be preferred. If I am offered one of the positions I really want, my budget would bo up to $900-$1000 for my share of rent.
A 1 br in NJ (well at least around and north of the Princeton area, I'm not really familiar south of there) is going to be at least $1000 in my experience, more like $1200 and up. Plus electric usually, which may or may not include heat, depending on the heat source. A 2 br will be higher.

I am not sure if you can find something where your share will be lower than what you are paying now ($800). I think you would be lucky to find something where it is the same. But if you can go up to $1000 plus any utilities, then you might be able to get a 1 br in some places, or at least a nice share.

Just make sure you understand the rents and all of that before you make any decisions. Sounds like you are coming from somewhere where housing costs are much lower.

Housing also tends to be a more expensive in the areas that are considered both walkable and desirable.

All just my opinion and experience of course! GL.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 AM

Thanks....I figured I'd just get a rough idea in case I get a callback. Yeah, I love where I live now, but the job market is really bad so I will be forced to leave within the next 4 months or so. It really is very affordable, even if you have a crappy job, but they just aren't hiring here in my field so I'm looking at other options. Thanks for your input.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:36 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,994,817 times
Westfield is a really nice walkable town in Union County. Losts of shops and even a little movie theater on Broad St. and more shops near Rt 28. However, to get to NYC you would have to take 2 trains: one from Westfield to Newark Penn station and from Newark Penn to NYC Penn station. I'm not sure how much a 1BR costs there though.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:54 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,444 times
Princeton would be a good choice, but apts. are expensive. Hightstown is a small walkable town with buses to NYC and Princeton. Housing is less expensive. Welcome to Hightstown! - The Borough of Hightstown The town doesn't have everything, but plays and museums are just a bus trip away.

There's a shuttle to the Princeton Jct. Train, too. http://www.east-windsor.nj.us/transp...shuttlebus.htm

Old 04-05-2011, 10:27 PM

303 posts, read 752,202 times
JC is the option as well if you didnt notice the first time you came here. but to head all the way to Princeton from JC would be a hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey