Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving out: non professionals, frightening change, two incomes, vacation home, log cabin

Old 07-29-2007, 11:55 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times

Advertisements

I have lived in NJ my whole life, and am leaving. We sold the house. Am I scared yes, but my husband and I are not professionals like the ones in Bergen County we are hard working non professionals. I really don't now why I am worried but I guess any change is frightening. I just can't stomach the taxes here anymore, I have a big old house that sucks the heat right out the door and its just so expensive and I can stay and keep this up but I don't want to. Bergen County has become so much for the rich and I just don't fit in here anymore. Our taxes just went up 1225 per year and I don't ever see anything going down. The taxes in 1998 were 4000 now they are 8000 and everything else just keeps going and going up. I hope I am make a smart choice. If the taxes and stuff would stop I would have stayed or at least not change every two years so much. If some told me ok things will remain at a constant for the next 5 years that would be cool but what are the chances of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 12:19 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I have lived in NJ my whole life, and am leaving. We sold the house. Am I scared yes, but my husband and I are not professionals like the ones in Bergen County we are hard working non professionals. I really don't now why I am worried but I guess any change is frightening. I just can't stomach the taxes here anymore, I have a big old house that sucks the heat right out the door and its just so expensive and I can stay and keep this up but I don't want to. Bergen County has become so much for the rich and I just don't fit in here anymore. Our taxes just went up 1225 per year and I don't ever see anything going down. The taxes in 1998 were 4000 now they are 8000 and everything else just keeps going and going up. I hope I am make a smart choice. If the taxes and stuff would stop I would have stayed or at least not change every two years so much. If some told me ok things will remain at a constant for the next 5 years that would be cool but what are the chances of that?

Though I don't own any real estate I know EXACTLY how you feel!
Bergen County (where I live too) IS for the Well-Off or the Dirt Poor (where the government helps out).

I tell alot of people this: To live here a working person has to have "THE JOB" as "A JOB" doesn't cut it and you need two incomes at that. Also something better not happen to "THE JOB" as it'll be very difficult in most cases to secure a like replacement and the rest is downhill.

I might not be too far behind you in leaving NJ too as a single man, but not sure yet and of where to go if I do.

Where will you be relocating to?

Old 07-29-2007, 01:16 PM

I am moving to Upstate NY (by Plattsburgh) It started as a vacation home, but loved it so am going to live there full time. Its near the Adirondacks and I love to hike.There is jobs for regular people, and my house is a log cabin (small) on a great river, and taxes only 2000 a year. I have well water, heat is a wood stove and what is a moniter system runs off Kerosene and is cheap to heat . The bills are so much more managable than this huge old house in NJ. Thanks for the reply Marilyn

Old 07-29-2007, 01:47 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
hi Marilyn,
my family and i just moved out of NJ to NC--all alone. and we had the plan of coming back in about 5 years. now i dont think we will. things are just too tough in NJ. we had to leave though we tried to stay. it was such a relief to sell our home and now we are looking for a home here. and we will be able to live on one income--imagine that!
good luck
i am sorry so many of us have to leave our home (NJ) and familes, but what else could we do?

Old 07-29-2007, 02:59 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Default Headed Upstate Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I am moving to Upstate NY (by Plattsburgh) It started as a vacation home, but loved it so am going to live there full time. Its near the Adirondacks and I love to hike.There is jobs for regular people, and my house is a log cabin (small) on a great river, and taxes only 2000 a year. I have well water, heat is a wood stove and what is a moniter system runs off Kerosene and is cheap to heat . The bills are so much more managable than this huge old house in NJ. Thanks for the reply Marilyn
We also purchased a house in upstate NY where we will permanently move out of NJ in the spring. It's a great area and the people are wonderful. We've had enough of the NJ constant taxes and the corruption. NJ continues to have more people move out of the state than moves in each year.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:21 PM

Thanks for your replies both the NC and NY new movers. Yes its going to be a change but at least we started as a vacation home so we have some idea. You know I was driving around Bergen County and I figured out why people like me may stay here. Its all the illusion that you are rich. I mean I am not in that house in Alpine or Saddle River, but I am close so therefore I can maybe be it. Well I am in REALITY, no I am not in that house I am in an old dump that yes I got a good buck for and found a sucker to take it but No way am I pretending to be something I am not. So I live next to a few red necks, so everything is not fancy and lifestyle of the rich and famous, so there is a few trailer HA HA HA, I am in a nice beautiful log cabin and I can maybe be in reality a little better off there!! I am happy to get out of here, but hope its not too much of a culture shock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: