Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 06:59 PM

181 posts, read 301,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstate555 View Post
Hi,

I'm a new grad moving into the northern Jersey area to start a position located in Florham Park. I've been pouring over my salary numbers trying to get an idea whether Hoboken is a plausible option. Basically, I've come down to a budget of 1000 a month to pay for rent/parking/utilities to comfortably enjoy a social life & pay school loans. Given that range, does Hoboken sound possible? Of course I also plan on living with roommates, I'm not quoting a range for my own place.

I'm also open to Newport/Paulus Hook/Hamilton Park.

Thanks for your opinions.
Are you open to sharing an apartment with someone else, or do you need your own place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 07:22 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,529 times
I second the Morristown suggestion. Street parking in Hoboken is amongst the worst I've ever encountered, might even rival my neighborhood in Queens. It's also not exactly close to Florham Park by any means. You could probably find a place of your own with parking in Morristown or maybe Madison and be MUCH closer to Florham Park, still have plenty to do and go out, and also have the train to take you to Hoboken/NYC.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:38 AM

453 posts, read 1,741,681 times
Morristown is an excellent suggestion. Parking can be tricky but you should be able to find something with your own designated spot, especially if you don't insist on being right in town. Very close to Florham Park, as is Madison. If you really need to go to Hoboken, it's a short train ride away.

Parking in Hoboken is a nightmare if you need to drive and commute. My daughter lived there for awhile. No thanks.

Rhys

Old 04-11-2011, 11:34 AM

197 posts, read 530,037 times
I think your budget is more doable in Jersey City. The parking is Jersey City is easier than Hoboken in some neighborhoods. If proximity to NYC is what you want, then Jersey City fits the bill.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:56 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
There can be a lot of traffic driving in and out of Hoboken and Jersey City during the commute times. Not worth it in my opinion. I agree about looking at Morristown.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:56 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
There can be a lot of traffic driving in and out of Hoboken and Jersey City during the commute times. Not worth it in my opinion. I agree about looking at Morristown.
What is there to do in Morristown for a 21 year old? Go to the 3 bars (not sure how many, but not too many)? Do Hoboken. Things that are nightmares for 30 year olds, are not for 20 somethings.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:00 AM

303 posts, read 752,202 times
Hoboken is not even close on that budget. Your best option would be to move to JC area, either J.sq or the Heights section. The Heights is right above Hoboken going up the viaduct so you can simply walk down to Hoboken taking the elevator. J.sq can give you access to Hoboken via train. Living IN Hoboken is definitely not doable but living in the areas around it are

Old 04-12-2011, 07:18 AM

572 posts, read 2,021,228 times
There are more then 3 bars in Morristown and there are a lot of 20 somethings that have moved in, either for grad school or because of the easy commute and central location.

As someone in my early 30's, I feel old at times when I go into the bars in Morristown...Hoboken is not the perfect location for everyone, especially those looking to live on a budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
What is there to do in Morristown for a 21 year old? Go to the 3 bars (not sure how many, but not too many)? Do Hoboken. Things that are nightmares for 30 year olds, are not for 20 somethings.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:46 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
I'm a 20 something and I find most things about Hoboken to be a nightmare sans a few decent pubs and Maxwell's on occasion. You couldn't pay me to live there though, especially if I had to deal with street parking and commuting elsewhere in NJ. Commuting by car from Hoboken to Florham Park would be an unbearable hell no matter what age you are. Morristown and the towns around it have more than 3 bars ha. Sure not as many as Hoboken, but I'll wager they're more tolerable than 95% of Hoboken's bars.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:57 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstate555 View Post
Hi,

I'm a new grad moving into the northern Jersey area to start a position located in Florham Park. I've been pouring over my salary numbers trying to get an idea whether Hoboken is a plausible option. Basically, I've come down to a budget of 1000 a month to pay for rent/parking/utilities to comfortably enjoy a social life & pay school loans. Given that range, does Hoboken sound possible? Of course I also plan on living with roommates, I'm not quoting a range for my own place.

I'm also open to Newport/Paulus Hook/Hamilton Park.

Thanks for your opinions.
definitely doable. but it would be tight for you to get rent and parking for $1,000/month. you may have to deal with street parking, or increase your budget slightly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey