Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:11 PM

5 posts, read 14,024 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a new grad moving into the northern Jersey area to start a position located in Florham Park. I've been pouring over my salary numbers trying to get an idea whether Hoboken is a plausible option. Basically, I've come down to a budget of 1000 a month to pay for rent/parking/utilities to comfortably enjoy a social life & pay school loans. Given that range, does Hoboken sound possible? Of course I also plan on living with roommates, I'm not quoting a range for my own place.

I'm also open to Newport/Paulus Hook/Hamilton Park.

Thanks for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 07:15 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstate555 View Post
Hi,

I'm a new grad moving into the northern Jersey area to start a position located in Florham Park. I've been pouring over my salary numbers trying to get an idea whether Hoboken is a plausible option. Basically, I've come down to a budget of 1000 a month to pay for rent/parking/utilities to comfortably enjoy a social life & pay school loans. Given that range, does Hoboken sound possible? Of course I also plan on living with roommates, I'm not quoting a range for my own place.

I'm also open to Newport/Paulus Hook/Hamilton Park.

Thanks for your opinions.
Depends on how many people you are planning to stuff in an apartment, but I would say it is not doable on your budget. Especially if you plan on paying for paking your budget isn't enough.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:20 PM

Would 1100-1150 help or am I way off on my estimates? This would mean considerable more budgeting but certainly possible. Ive browsed craigslist a bit but prices vary a ton and I have no information on parking.

And I was looking at a 2 or 3 BR split. Size isn't a great concern but at least a 10x10 BR with common living room/kitchen is desired.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Would 1100-1150 help or am I way off on my estimates? This would mean considerable more budgeting but certainly possible. Ive browsed craigslist a bit but prices vary a ton and I have no information on parking.

And I was looking at a 2 or 3 BR split. Size isn't a great concern but at least a 10x10 BR with common living room/kitchen is desired.
2 bedroom would be a minimum of $1500, parking $200 unless you want to try and park on the street. I have no idea what your student loans are figure $150 for utilities including cable, gas and electric. Doesn't leave much or anything for entertainment.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:45 PM

I'm sorry, I set aside my other finances. My 1100 was just for rent/parking/util. I really have about $3000 a month to work with in totality but I have to account for food/insurance/gas ect which are quite big. Right now I'm just trying to figure out whether $1100 is possib;e for just the rent/parking/util portion.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:57 PM

360 posts, read 1,019,409 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I set aside my other finances. My 1100 was just for rent/parking/util. I really have about $3000 a month to work with in totality but I have to account for food/insurance/gas ect which are quite big. Right now I'm just trying to figure out whether $1100 is possib;e for just the rent/parking/util portion.
Hoboken is ridiculously expensive - I get why you'd want to live there as a new grad but even a share (without utilities) probably runs at least $1400, parking is typically extra (and street parking in that town is a real nightmare.) Since you'll be working in Florham Park you'll have to have a car.

Have you looked into living in Morristown? You can probably get a share for $1100 somewhere around the green and there's still bars/restaurants and a young professional scene there. It's not as happening as Hoboken but the upside is that your commute to Florham Park from there would be like 20 minutes and a lot easier.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
Hoboken is ridiculously expensive - I get why you'd want to live there as a new grad but even a share (without utilities) probably runs at least $1400, parking is typically extra (and street parking in that town is a real nightmare.) Since you'll be working in Florham Park you'll have to have a car.

Have you looked into living in Morristown? You can probably get a share for $1100 somewhere around the green and there's still bars/restaurants and a young professional scene there. It's not as happening as Hoboken but the upside is that your commute to Florham Park from there would be like 20 minutes and a lot easier.
I'll take that into consideration, thank you.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
In that case, you may be able to do it, if you forgo paying for parking and deal with the on street parking situation.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:00 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
hoboken's overrated. personally, i'd live in edgewater and drive to hoboken or even better - manhattan!

Old 04-09-2011, 09:13 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,139 times
I am guessing you are early 20's? Then do it. Last thing you want to do is be sitting in a place like Edgewater with nothing to do (and you are not going to drive to hoboken after you drive home and get to your apartment. There would be no where to park if you are not a resident). It would be a huge pain to me, but I am well past my early 20's. I considered doing what you are considering back when I first got out of grad school (but my commute would have been to Princeton). I didn't do it and regretted it for years until I bit the bullet and moved to Manhattan and took a job in the city (but not until I was 32).

Here is an example (you might not have to pay for parking depending on your schedule):
Room in Hoboken- utilities included (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/sub/2307451030.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey