Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Speeding is very dangerous too.
not always. speed limits are pretty arbitrary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 12:21 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
not always. speed limits are pretty arbitrary.
I agree with this. Does 65 or 70 really make a bid difference in safety or is it just arbitrary?

Now tailgating is something I wouldn't mind seeing cracked down on.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:35 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I certainly can't speak for anyone else, but pesonally I think it makes me a safer driver. I know which lights have cameras. At those lights I make sure I don't cut it close and I always come to a complete stop if making a right.
to me, it makes no difference if the light has a camera or not. you won't find me trying to "make the light". if i'm approaching a light from far away and it's green the entire time i can see it, i pretty much count on that it will be red by the time i get to it. if everyone just relaxed just a tad bit on the roads, we'd have far fewer accidents, delays, and much cheaper car insurance. but since some people can't afford that extra 45 seconds on their daily commute...we all suffer.

just think of how long of a delay there is from a minor fender bender that everyone needs to slow down and looksee.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:39 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
I agree with this. Does 65 or 70 really make a bid difference in safety or is it just arbitrary?

it depends on volume and on the road's design. civil engineers who have studied this have had a hand in speed limits. the faster you travel, the less reaction time you have, the greater stopping distance is required, etc etc.

so yes, it does make a difference in safety. especially in a state like NJ with the volumes we have.

that being said, of course, there are those of us who are capable of driving a car that can handle it at those faster speeds, but the vast majority of people can't, or are in cars that can't. so the speed limits are necessary.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
it depends on volume and on the road's design. civil engineers who have studied this have had a hand in speed limits. the faster you travel, the less reaction time you have, the greater stopping distance is required, etc etc.

so yes, it does make a difference in safety. especially in a state like NJ with the volumes we have.

that being said, of course, there are those of us who are capable of driving a car that can handle it at those faster speeds, but the vast majority of people can't, or are in cars that can't. so the speed limits are necessary.
speed limits are important, but there are plenty of times when you can safely drive above the limits.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:48 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
the picture in the article shows that there is a SIGN that says there's a camera being used. if you're so stupid to STILL tempt fate, well, you get what you deserve.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:51 PM

its very stupid to drive through a red light in any circumstance.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:51 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
the only problem i have with the lights is how can they tell if the reason you are in the intersection is that there was traffic and couldn't continue through the intersection or couldn't finish making the turn because cars in front of you. With the amount of traffic in most cities this is a very common occurance. As for the cameras being smart enough, they are not.

There is a camera at the intersection of Stiles st & Rt1-9 in Linden. I was sitting at the light waiting for my green and I saw cars sitting in the intersection during their green waiting to finish making the turn onto Stiles. Light turned red and the camera took at least 3 pictures of cars that could not move. I "hope" they did not get tickets because there was nothing they could do about being stuck in the intersection.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:03 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:

that AND RUBBERNECKING!!!! I HATE IT THEY NEED TO BURN RUBBERNECKERS WITH HUGE FINES $500 WOULD BE A GOOD **** YOU to rubberneckers

Old 04-11-2011, 04:04 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
speed limits are important, but there are plenty of times when you can safely drive above the limits.
agreed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey