U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:27 AM

22,674 posts, read 28,559,598 times

Advertisements

i heard on the radio that sam's club is having an open house so non-members can check it out. what do you guys think of it compared to costco? i love costco and dont expect sam's to be better, but maybe they have a great deal on some product that i can take advantage of.

also, anyone know where there is one that is well stocked and nice but not so busy? id imagine this being the weekend when stores are busier plus open to non-members, it may get crowded and id like to not be in a place thats super crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 09:46 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,138,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i heard on the radio that sam's club is having an open house so non-members can check it out. what do you guys think of it compared to costco? i love costco and dont expect sam's to be better, but maybe they have a great deal on some product that i can take advantage of.

also, anyone know where there is one that is well stocked and nice but not so busy? id imagine this being the weekend when stores are busier plus open to non-members, it may get crowded and id like to not be in a place thats super crowded.
Going to a store that is not busy will give you the same results as going to a restaurant that is not busy.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Going to a store that is not busy will give you the same results as going to a restaurant that is not busy.
that may be true in many cases, but this is a big chain and i would assume they are all pretty similar with maybe some differences for the locality. so businesses could just be a factor of how busy of an area it is. for example, when i lived in brooklyn i went to BJ's. it was packed on weekends. however, if i came to the one in new jersey it was basically the same products but a lot less busy because it was a less busy area.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:30 PM

12,542 posts, read 17,729,057 times
Quote:

Sam's club is virtually the same thing as Costco. Costco often seems to cater to a slightly more "premium" crowd as far as products, but not always. I don't think you'll like it any better than Costco, but having membership at both means if Costco doesn't have a particular brand you want, Sam's might.

you can check out sam's anytime you want. doesn't have to be an open house.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Sam's club is virtually the same thing as Costco. Costco often seems to cater to a slightly more "premium" crowd as far as products, but not always. I don't think you'll like it any better than Costco, but having membership at both means if Costco doesn't have a particular brand you want, Sam's might.

you can check out sam's anytime you want. doesn't have to be an open house.
i noticed they said something about there not being an upcharge. does that mean if you go without a membership they let you in and purchase but charge you some kind of increase in price when you buy? i wasnt aware that costco did this. i would like to have the opportunity to buy without any extra charge, so that may make this weekend a better chance to go. no way im paying an upcharge.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:46 PM

12,542 posts, read 17,729,057 times
Quote:
i noticed they said something about there not being an upcharge. does that mean if you go without a membership they let you in and purchase but charge you some kind of increase in price when you buy? i wasnt aware that costco did this. i would like to have the opportunity to buy without any extra charge, so that may make this weekend a better chance to go. no way im paying an upcharge.
ohhh. yes, if you "visit", you can shop, but pay more. i forgot they do that.

but to me, you don't have to "buy" something at Sam's Club to check it out. Go in, walk around...if you like the products they offer, great. But honestly, it's set up virtually the same way as costco. they just might have crest instead of aquafresh. Gilette shaving cream instead of whatever other brand exists. you know? that's the only difference really.

Then of course there is the Kirkland brand vs Members Mark. I like Kirkland better. I don't know if they are actually any better or worse than each other.

I pay for a membership at costco, and happen to enjoy a free membership at sammies. costco is closer so i go there. but occasionally i check out sam's club to compare maybe a beach chair, or something like that....

Old 04-15-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
ohhh. yes, if you "visit", you can shop, but pay more. i forgot they do that.

but to me, you don't have to "buy" something at Sam's Club to check it out. Go in, walk around...if you like the products they offer, great. But honestly, it's set up virtually the same way as costco. they just might have crest instead of aquafresh. Gilette shaving cream instead of whatever other brand exists. you know? that's the only difference really.

Then of course there is the Kirkland brand vs Members Mark. I like Kirkland better. I don't know if they are actually any better or worse than each other.

I pay for a membership at costco, and happen to enjoy a free membership at sammies. costco is closer so i go there. but occasionally i check out sam's club to compare maybe a beach chair, or something like that....
i can certainly check it out, but its not very convenient for me so there is not much chance id get a membership. so i would go, take advantage of any interesting deals, and never go back. it will be fun for me, the wife and daughter.

do they have a coupon book? if i go there, id like to have that handy. got my costco coupons that started yesterday, so we will be going there this weekend. fun!

Old 04-15-2011, 03:29 PM

5,706 posts, read 12,818,347 times
I have membership to both clubs. I prefer Costco but unfortunately since we moved there is none nearby. We do use the membership when we travel in the RV and prefer the meat from Costco versus Sams. IMO Costco carries a larger variety of things that we use and like the Kirkland brand.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I have membership to both clubs. I prefer Costco but unfortunately since we moved there is none nearby. We do use the membership when we travel in the RV and prefer the meat from Costco versus Sams. IMO Costco carries a larger variety of things that we use and like the Kirkland brand.
so if there is something that sam's has that beats costco, what would it be? if i walk out with strawberry jelly for 75 cents a pound, thats enough for it to be a successful trip.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:17 AM

2,037 posts, read 1,852,491 times
We have memberships to both Sams and BJs. Sams is way more conveniently located so we go there more. They really are similar, and it's quite true that one will have a certain brand the other doesn't , and the same with certain products. It's very subjective though depending on your tastes and preferences.
I do think that BJ house brand is better than Sams though. (Sam's Members Mark is totally fine, but BJ's Berkley and Jensen is better. Particularly the toilet paper/// subjectively speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey