Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 12:50 PM
pvs pvs started this thread

1,845 posts, read 3,355,779 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen this?
Pols: Stop tour bus invasion

In particular:
Quote:
“The goal here is to have as many visitors in Lower Manhattan as we can handle… without new tour buses,” said State Senator Daniel Squadron, adding that the City “needs to be ahead of the curve” in planning.

The senator, along with C.B. 1 Chair Julie Menin, stressed the importance of encouraging alternative transportation methods to the W.T.C. Rather than clutter the streets and increase air pollution around Ground Zero, the tour buses, Menin advised, should park across the river in New Jersey, and visitors should use the Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) train to get to the memorial.
While I GUESS NJ might see some revenue from such an idea, I am flabbergasted by the way this is proposed. Congestion and pollution should be moved to NJ

Would love to hear other opinions from NJites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 01:05 PM

88,010 posts, read 83,827,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Has anyone seen this?
Pols: Stop tour bus invasion

In particular:

While I GUESS NJ might see some revenue from such an idea, I am flabbergasted by the way this is proposed. Congestion and pollution should be moved to NJ

Would love to hear other opinions from NJites.
Hmmm. Maybe they are looking to boost PATH revenues.

Otherwise it just sounds dumb.

Or maybe it's more of that ignorant perception some New Yorkers have that Jersey is just chock full of wide-open space. Do they really think that the cities where the PATH stations are in Jersey have lots of open space for parking buses and will welcome the additional pollution?

Wonder if Senator Squadron has ever posted on this forum looking for a big house with five acres and no crime with a half-hour commute to NYC....

Old 04-21-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Or maybe it's more of that ignorant perception some New Yorkers have that Jersey is just chock full of wide-open space. Do they really think that the cities where the PATH stations are in Jersey have lots of open space for parking buses and will welcome the additional pollution?

Wonder if Senator Squadron has ever posted on this forum looking for a big house with five acres and no crime with a half-hour commute to NYC....
Yup, they talk about how the busses should drop off in NJ, and let PATH handle the loads into and out of WTC. While on the surface, it looks good for PATH, I doubt PATH could handle the volume ... even if they DO adopt 10-car consists to WTC by then.

And as you note, both the parking and roadways around any PATH station are pretty limited these days. Maybe something could be done at Harrison, but I don't trust that old station with its old platforms and no ADA access.

As the the bolded ... you always find a way to make me laugh. Thanks ... I needed that!

Old 04-21-2011, 01:19 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,052,678 times
Quote:

Yes, and he'd like excellent schools and a walkable downtown with that. Oh yeah, and he's willing to spend around 300K.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:50 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,330,839 times
Quote:

well, if people were to drive INTO lower manhattan, the cities in NJ would still get some pollution anyhow. I could see Harrison PATH station being a good location for a sort of "park and ride" into the WTC area. there's space there for parking, it's right off of 280 and not far from 78 or the NJTP.

love your last comment though lol

Old 04-21-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Yup, they talk about how the busses should drop off in NJ, and let PATH handle the loads into and out of WTC. While on the surface, it looks good for PATH, I doubt PATH could handle the volume ... even if they DO adopt 10-car consists to WTC by then.

And as you note, both the parking and roadways around any PATH station are pretty limited these days. Maybe something could be done at Harrison, but I don't trust that old station with its old platforms and no ADA access.

As the the bolded ... you always find a way to make me laugh. Thanks ... I needed that!
if NJ played it smart, maybe they could snag some funds from the city to revitalize the Harrison station.

wait...did i just say "if NJ played it smart"?

i'm sorry. nevermind.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
if NJ played it smart, maybe they could snag some funds from the city to revitalize the Harrison station.

wait...did i just say "if NJ played it smart"?

i'm sorry. nevermind.
Too funny, brady! You really got me laughing. Tried to rep you, but can't just yet.

But really, Harrison's infrastructure, especially now that the Red Bulls Arena is there, will require a LOT of work. It's CLOSE to some highways, but there's no real way to get to them on the local roads.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with this issue, overall.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Too funny, brady! You really got me laughing. Tried to rep you, but can't just yet.

But really, Harrison's infrastructure, especially now that the Red Bulls Arena is there, will require a LOT of work. It's CLOSE to some highways, but there's no real way to get to them on the local roads.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with this issue, overall.
it seems like they could figure out a better way to get people from 280 over to that area, but yeah...requires work on the infrastructure.

i still haven't been to a game there yet, but i've dropped people off at that PATH station. it's progressing.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:38 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,726,641 times
How about letting NY build the "killed" rail tunnel and turning it into a park-n-ride? You can fit a lot of buses in there.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:02 PM

88,010 posts, read 83,827,560 times
Quote:

As for the bolded ... you always find a way to make me laugh. Thanks ... I needed that!
As for the bolded above, I know relatively few people who know that term, heh heh heh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey