Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 05:24 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,930,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenkens View Post
I know 10K (or less) is probably out of the question, how about less than 15K for a four-bedroom house based on the specs I submitted.
Less than 15K is absolutely possible. We bought our house in Ridgewood (Bergen County) 6 months ago and we pay less than 15K. It's a completely renovated colonial w/brand new addition. Ridgewood's taxes are being re-evaluated right now and even if ours go up, it will still be under 15K (slightly under :-)

Also, check out Mountainside in Union County. Great town with surprisingly low taxes. And I mean low - we saw houses there in the 700-800K range with taxes around 7K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 05:52 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira View Post
Less than 15K is absolutely possible. We bought our house in Ridgewood (Bergen County) 6 months ago and we pay less than 15K. It's a completely renovated colonial w/brand new addition. Ridgewood's taxes are being re-evaluated right now and even if ours go up, it will still be under 15K (slightly under :-)

Also, check out Mountainside in Union County. Great town with surprisingly low taxes. And I mean low - we saw houses there in the 700-800K range with taxes around 7K.
How are the schools in ridgewood...our good friend lives in wykoff...I wonder if she was blowing smoke when she said that taxes get up to 20k per year.

If its not to personal..how much was your home as well. Are the home prices going down a bit....We really like the allendale, franklin lakes, wykoff area...even parts of mahwah were really appealing.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:25 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I love Denville, lived there for 30 years.........
However the poster is looking as a first time buyer. The homes in Denville are sky high now, along with taxes....because of the 45 min. commute to the city, for one reason. A first time homebuyer in Peapack, Montclair ?. Yikes, I don't know how much he has to spend.......but, speaking of taxes!
Perhaps Rockaway might have a reasonable home, then one could take the train from Denville. Or the local bus express..........
Hackettstown has Martz buses that travel in and out of the city in less then an hour and a half. Tons of people travel in and out of Pa to the city each day........now that is crazy And believe me they all do it..........the park and ride lots are full to the point of overbrimming.
At least in Hackettstown for a first time homebuyers 3 bed/ ranch, your taxes might be 6,000 or so.........well, worth the little bit of extra time.
we don't know what the price range is. but i suspect that if they can deal with 10K-15K taxes, they can afford something not typical of a "first time homebuyer" and denville and the other places I suggested may fit the bill.

plus, the OP was CLEAR they wanted TRAIN - so I'm surprised to see all these towns mentioned where train in not an option.

i still wouldn't recommend h'town - i have neighbors doing the NYC commute and it ages you. if someone has a choice, i'd BEG them to live closer. a 2+ hour commute, don't forget the COST!, all to live in a lower COL area, is simply not worth it when you're never home to enjoy.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:13 PM

78 posts, read 400,419 times
I would recommend Cranbury in middlesex county. It is a small town of about 3500 residents with great schools: middle school ranked 3rd in k-12 website and the kids go to princeton high school. for train, you need to drive to princeton junction or jersey avenue. but you can take bus from turnpike 8A exit, which go to Port Authority directly.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:43 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
There are a couple of towns in Essex County that have reasonable taxes; Roseland and Fairfield.

When I say reasonable, I mean compared to other Essex County towns.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:45 PM

78 posts, read 400,419 times
eskmd,
in that area, i would think east handover and hanover park has lower tax.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:59 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin67 View Post
eskmd,
in that area, i would think east handover and hanover park has lower tax.
You are probably right. They are in Morris county, not Essex. They dont have Newark to support.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:25 PM

274 posts, read 855,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
How are the schools in ridgewood...our good friend lives in wykoff...I wonder if she was blowing smoke when she said that taxes get up to 20k per year.

If its not to personal..how much was your home as well. Are the home prices going down a bit....We really like the allendale, franklin lakes, wykoff area...even parts of mahwah were really appealing.
I graduated from the Ridgewood district... the schools are excellent, if a bit snobby. Ridgewood basically has everything: good arts programs, great sports programs, amazing facilities, and overall excellent and experienced teachers. However, it tends to be overpriced; after I graduated from high school, a large number of my friends' parents moved out of town to avoid paying such high property taxes after their children had left the system. My parents' home has virtually no property, is on a very busy street, and has appreciated almost $500,000 in the past 10 years with minimal improvements. I think Mahwah and Ramsey tend to be slightly cheaper, although I'm not 100% sure. Both towns are close to the Rt. 17 train station.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:45 AM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira View Post

Look how sad we've become, when we think low taxes are $7000.

I think it's time for another revolution. Anyone for a tea party?

Old 08-01-2007, 06:30 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,930,263 times
<<How are the schools in ridgewood...our good friend lives in wykoff...I wonder if she was blowing smoke when she said that taxes get up to 20k per year.

If its not to personal..how much was your home as well. Are the home prices going down a bit....We really like the allendale, franklin lakes, wykoff area...even parts of mahwah were really appealing.>>

Your friend was not blowing smoke. There are properties with 20K taxes. But there are plenty with under 15K. Ridgewood's schools are top notch. Wyckoff is a great town as well. In fact, all the towns you mention are really good. You can't go wrong with any of them.

From what we've seen, prices have gone down about 15% compared to 2-3 years ago. And now I think it has been flat.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey