Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 04:40 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Assuming you already incur the fixed costs of owning and operating an automobile, it makes no sense to use mass transit for this commute. By car, it takes about 35 to 40 minutes -- as long as you know how to avoid Holland Tunnel traffic. If you must commute during rush hour, this could stretch to an hour each way.

From Pine Brook, take New Road to I-280. Take I-280 East to its end (exit 17) in Kearny. Then take 'the post office road' (County 508) across the meadow to Jersey City. This becomes Newark Turnpike, then Newark Avenue. Avoid Routes 1 and 9. Cross JC using the back streets to avoid tunnel traffic. Pass city hall, then wind your way down the hill and straight into the mall.

I made this commute daily from the Caldwells, so it was about five to ten minutes closer to JC. Regardless, you'll be shocked at how doable it is -- especially if your job permits you to commute before or after rush hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
ENOUGH!!!!!! The person wants a traffic free way SO CAR LOVERS BUT OUT!!!! besides 29x is as fast due to highway ability parking there is just wrong
Hey Screamer ~~~ Yeah you, the self-proclaimed 'bus master' with the yelling fingers. Your inefficient mass transit ideas don't work for this commute.

* Does the OP ever state that they want a 'traffic-free way'? No. (It's not as if you're offering one either.) The OP merely stipulates that (s)he is looking for how to commute, and has already implied displeasure with a mass transit commute of an hour-and-a-half that 'takes so much time.' It seems to me that the OP is interested in cutting down the amount of time that this specific commute takes.

* Even your beloved '29x' takes nearly an hour just to get from Parsippany to Newark -- and then the OP would still have to get from Newark to JC -- another half hour at best!

* The cost of using mass transit is four-fold. Individually, it begins with the financial cost of paying the fares. It continues with the opportunity cost of a lengthier commuting time. It finishes with the cost of not having the freedom to go quickly and directly to wherever one may want to go when the work day is over. And to society, there is the countless amount of money we shovel into a costly publicly-funded mass transit system that most private operators had abandoned decades ago after recognizing it as a losing proposition.

* Accordingly, the cost of using mass transit is greater than the marginal cost of making this commute with one's own car. Since OP implies that (s)he already owns a car, the 'best way' to commute in this specific circumstance is to make the entire commute by car!

'So car lovers but (sic) out?' Let me guess -- you lost your driver's license by driving as poorly as you post, so now you think everybody should be condemned to your time-consuming, inefficient, mass transit?

A one-issue poster? On multiple Mid-Atlantic forums, you regularly beat the drum of the hell-bent sales pitch for mass transit usage. Instead of acting the blow-hard for this narrow and misguided perspective, it may be worth considering that many a time, it's best to utilize the ultimate tool of American freedom -- a personally owned and operated automobile.

I enjoy taking busses, subways, ferries, trains and planes... but only when it makes sense to do so. In OP's circumstance, it does not make sense to do so. OP would do best to stick with his/her own four wheels. As you say, 'Enough!'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:42 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,949,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Hey Screamer ~~~ Yeah you, the self-proclaimed 'bus master' with the yelling fingers. Your inefficient mass transit ideas don't work for this commute.

* Does the OP ever state that they want a 'traffic-free way'? No. (It's not as if you're offering one either.) The OP merely stipulates that (s)he is looking for how to commute, and has already implied displeasure with a mass transit commute of an hour-and-a-half that 'takes so much time.' It seems to me that the OP is interested in cutting down the amount of time that this specific commute takes.

* Even your beloved '29x' takes nearly an hour just to get from Parsippany to Newark -- and then the OP would still have to get from Newark to JC -- another half hour at best!

* The cost of using mass transit is four-fold. Individually, it begins with the financial cost of paying the fares. It continues with the opportunity cost of a lengthier commuting time. It finishes with the cost of not having the freedom to go quickly and directly to wherever one may want to go when the work day is over. And to society, there is the countless amount of money we shovel into a costly publicly-funded mass transit system that most private operators had abandoned decades ago after recognizing it as a losing proposition.

* Accordingly, the cost of using mass transit is greater than the marginal cost of making this commute with one's own car. Since OP implies that (s)he already owns a car, the 'best way' to commute in this specific circumstance is to make the entire commute by car!

'So car lovers but (sic) out?' Let me guess -- you lost your driver's license by driving as poorly as you post, so now you think everybody should be condemned to your time-consuming, inefficient, mass transit?

A one-issue poster? On multiple Mid-Atlantic forums, you regularly beat the drum of the hell-bent sales pitch for mass transit usage. Instead of acting the blow-hard for this narrow and misguided perspective, it may be worth considering that many a time, it's best to utilize the ultimate tool of American freedom -- a personally owned and operated automobile.

I enjoy taking busses, subways, ferries, trains and planes... but only when it makes sense to do so. In OP's circumstance, it does not make sense to do so. OP would do best to stick with his/her own four wheels. As you say, 'Enough!'
OK I GET THE IDEA 29X isnt the best I did try the train though its faster than the bus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey