Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 07:30 PM

6 posts, read 25,264 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a home in central NJ. Some of the places we have seen homes in our price range are in Brick Township, Keyport, and Matawan. Does anyone have information on these towns, such which are the nice areas of town (low crime), good schools, shopping, traffic, etc. Looking for easy access to major roads. Also any other suggestions in Monmouth or Middlesex counties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2006, 06:16 AM

741 posts, read 3,502,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guenivere View Post
We are looking for a home in central NJ. Some of the places we have seen homes in our price range are in Brick Township, Keyport, and Matawan. Does anyone have information on these towns, such which are the nice areas of town (low crime), good schools, shopping, traffic, etc. Looking for easy access to major roads. Also any other suggestions in Monmouth or Middlesex counties?
Brick township is your best bet. Shopping mecca of Ocean County. Good schools, and yes, traffic too. Brick township has a NO KNOCK ordinance, No one can come to your door solicitating, Not even those Jehova's Witness'es. Also it is minutes to the parkway. Though, Brick township wouldn't be considered Central NJ. More like Northern Ocean County. Free Summerfest concerts at winward beach every thursday during the summer. Taxes are less here then Middlesex, or Monmouth counties, so far.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:53 PM

6 posts, read 25,264 times
Thanks, patty nj. We have looked at brick and liked it. Do you have any info on the other areas? They seem to be more of a small-town feel. I was wondering where people in those towns go for entertainment, restaurants, shopping etc. Are they considered nice areas to live?

Old 08-29-2006, 06:35 PM

I lived in all 3 area's. Keyport is diverse and quaint, Matawan is nice also. Brick is a great family town, fairly large. Brick has 3 beaches, 2 with concession stands and bathrooms. Typically, the houses are further apart then the other 2 towns. It would be hard for you to tell what I was cooking for dinner. Seaside heights is about 15 minutes away, and there are back roads that take you right in You should come and spend a day in each town and see which one "fits". Good Luck

Old 08-29-2006, 07:34 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,016,190 times
I lived in Brick for a few years; have only passed through Matawan and Keyport so I can't say much about those towns. Being a country girl at heart, I found Brick too congested for my tastes, but otherwise it's a great place to live. The schools are good, crime is very low (police everywhere - don't speed!), there is a fairly large senior citizen population and it shows when it is time for elections, tons of chain restaurants and shopping, and you are oh so close to the beach and the Garden State Parkway. The area by the Manasquan River is really nice but there really is no bad section of Brick (although I dislike the Silverton area, which is the southern section - not as pretty). The best part of living in Brick was that in spring and fall, after dinner I would drive to Point Pleasant beach (only 15 minutes away off-season) and walk the boardwalk for relaxation and exercise.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I lived in Brick for a few years; have only passed through Matawan and Keyport so I can't say much about those towns. Being a country girl at heart, I found Brick too congested for my tastes, but otherwise it's a great place to live. The schools are good, crime is very low (police everywhere - don't speed!), there is a fairly large senior citizen population and it shows when it is time for elections, tons of chain restaurants and shopping, and you are oh so close to the beach and the Garden State Parkway. The area by the Manasquan River is really nice but there really is no bad section of Brick (although I dislike the Silverton area, which is the southern section - not as pretty). The best part of living in Brick was that in spring and fall, after dinner I would drive to Point Pleasant beach (only 15 minutes away off-season) and walk the boardwalk for relaxation and exercise.
The Silverton area is surrounded by the bay. I'm at the Southern side of Brick. There are protected woods and the water. It's nice where I am, I think I know the section in Silverton which is Tom's River that you're talking about. Brick is very clean and yes the 5-O are everywhere.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:07 PM

86 posts, read 275,150 times
Brick is absolutely beautiful. Nice well kept, nice people, very nice indeed! Have you had the opportunity to see the sunset yet? It's so nice to be near the water!

Old 08-29-2006, 09:25 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,470,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj View Post
The Silverton area is surrounded by the bay. I'm at the Southern side of Brick. There are protected woods and the water. It's nice where I am, I think I know the section in Silverton which is Tom's River that you're talking about. Brick is very clean and yes the 5-O are everywhere.
Silverton is in Toms River, right across the town line from Brick.

If the OP ended up there, it wouldn't be so bad either (I grew up there, so I'm a little biased). Toms River is also extremely safe, and their schools are IMO better than Brick's (I said I'm a little biased )

Old 08-29-2006, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Silverton is in Toms River, right across the town line from Brick.

If the OP ended up there, it wouldn't be so bad either (I grew up there, so I'm a little biased). Toms River is also extremely safe, and their schools are IMO better than Brick's (I said I'm a little biased )
I think so too. If anyone could afford to and live comfortablly, then NJ Ocean County is a great place to live. I'm leaving because I can't live comfortably anymore. It's called the "Squeeze Play".

Old 08-29-2006, 11:43 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,313,532 times
I agree that if you're looking in central jersey, then Toms River/Brick area is where to look. As for Matawan and those areas (keyport, hazlet, keansburg), I have in-laws there who claim it's getting bad (again, keansburg had a bad rep for a long time) and either homes aren't much cheaper there, or if they are, it's because it's an undesirable section. Regarding Toms River, the Silverton section is nice (except for the apartment complex at the end of Kettle Creek Road...right on the bay...very trashy). I also have family throughout Toms River (some in Silverton, some near the marina, and some in a few other sections). The best sections of Toms River, if I'm not mistaken, are where children would attend HS at TR North and TR East, the area around TR South supposedly isn't so good. One piece of advice though, look into the water situation. I'm not sure what the outcome is in recent years, but Toms River had a big water problem and they were connecting cancer found in children to the drinking water. Otherwise, I say go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey