Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 04:40 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We need to build more railroads and move goods by rail.
We had it once long ago. But thanks to the Big 3 and the oil companies most of the track in the cities and across the US was pulled out of the ground and sold of as scrap. They paid off congress so they could sell more trucks and buses. Look at SF with its remnants of trollies and electric buses. Look at NJ, they spent $271 million on paperwork and then cancelled the project.

Quote:
....we need to get semis AKA trailer trucks off the highways.
Won't happen. Can't happen until we get the oil lobbyists and the congressman in their pockets out of DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 05:06 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
We had it once long ago. But thanks to the Big 3 and the oil companies most of the track in the cities and across the US was pulled out of the ground and sold of as scrap. They paid off congress so they could sell more trucks and buses. Look at SF with its remnants of trollies and electric buses. Look at NJ, they spent $271 million on paperwork and then cancelled the project.

Won't happen. Can't happen until we get the oil lobbyists and the congressman in their pockets out of DC.
Actually all the ROW in NJ is in Excellent condition....it just needs to be upgraded....not alot of work compared to PA or NY. The tracks have only been ripped up in the Western areas and Southern areas and only lightly used branches.... The Hope is to get 7 Regional Rail lines up this decade which would serve between 220,000-350,000 in Ocean , Middlesex , Sussex , Warren , Cape May. Republicans are pushing for the lines out West , Democrats are pushing for the Central and southern lines , it appears that republicans are getting there lines now. Democrats have got alot built over the past decade. When Republicans are in power , the cities don't get any , the Suburbs do , when Dems are in power opposite happens or Equal. They always seem to find a way of funding in this state , even if it takes a while , most of the tiny improvements are underway as we speak. 3 Light Rail lines will hopefully be built this decade , servicing 70,000 and then some will the upgrades to the current systems and New stations. So far all 3 lines meet Federal funding guidelines and have alot of support with the exception of Tenafly on the Northern Branch. Usually one or 2 towns oppose while the rest support.... With the BiG Oil profits and climbing Gas prices i have no doubt that this won't get built by 2025.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:11 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Raise the speed limit to 80 since that's what people drive anyway, but strictly enforce anything over 80. In germany they go as fast as they want and they have smaller cars to. Have a seperate lane for people who rather drive slow like me.

Have debree cleaned off the shoulders and lanes regularly like truck tires or things that fall off of people's car/truck. One time on the turnpike there was a huge, looked like monkey bars right in the middle, i could've been killed, several times I seen these things and amazingly cars keep dodging it without wrecking.

Ur right cops on the side does cause rubbernecking and it really annoys me because half the people try to get in the middle lane to be nice or safe and its dangerous when there's high volume of fast cars and trucks.

Have the flashing lights in working order, the BULBS, so that half aren't blown or missing, so we can read that it's an ARROW and not a horizontal line.

That's all I can think of, I'm yet to have any major problems on interstates besides trafficjams.

Police should also write more clearly when they give out tickets, have a pen with ink and don't write chicken scratch, people read those tickets.
That and fixing the roads so that there aren't a million and one potholes that I have to run over with my car!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 06:07 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
fixing the roads so that there aren't a million and one potholes that I have to run over with my car!!!
Asphalt is an inferior product but it keeps people working repairing it. We could go back to concrete roadways that rarely ever see a repair truck but then the work force would be strongly diminished. But since we don't use concrete anymore, thry are paving over them with asphalt.

We have a newish roadway down here that goes through numerous counties. Each county paid for its part of it. In the counties that used concrete I've nearly never seen a repair truck or lane closures. In the counties that used asphalt, every spring there a multiple lane closures due to road repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey