U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 12:25 PM

3,314 posts, read 12,244,273 times

Advertisements

Freehold Borough has El Meson, Mi Lindo Mexico and El Familiar which are all very good. Red Bank has Juanitos, a small place across from the train station (Bridge Ave and Monmouth St.) whose name I can't remember, Carlos O'Connors' and Casa Comida which are again all very good. Happy hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 33,627 times
There is a place called Tourtugas Cantina ( one in Trenton & one in Princeton) They have the BEST mexican food I have ever had. I took my cousin who is from Cali there and she, who swears by west coast Mexican, is still talking about the food there. They have huge portions and the staff is friendly and helpful. Their salsa is to die for, I buy quarts of it every week.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:18 PM

7,956 posts, read 16,754,919 times
Los Amigos in Voorhees was the best of the bunch as I recall. The menu was authentic: many more exotic dishes besides the usual fare. I remember leaving there at least twice thinking it was the best I had.

Then I moved to New Mexico.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:40 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,912,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Los Amigos in Voorhees was the best of the bunch as I recall. The menu was authentic: many more exotic dishes besides the usual fare. I remember leaving there at least twice thinking it was the best I had.

Then I moved to New Mexico.
well, what good are you? lol did this place in Voorhees suck to you after moving to NM? I'm looking for a place where people like you would say "yeah! now we're talking!", similar to the post before yours with the Cali friend. i went to a chain in AZ called Casa Bonita and even though it *was* a chain, it blew away any restaurants in NJ that I recall going to!

thanks to everyone, i've jotted these places down. i've been the jose tejas and the place in warren, but they were so long ago my memory is foggy, and I hadn't appreciated real Mexican at that point in my life.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:49 PM

7,956 posts, read 16,754,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
well, what good are you? lol did this place in Voorhees suck to you after moving to NM? I'm looking for a place where people like you would say "yeah! now we're talking!", similar to the post before yours with the Cali friend. i went to a chain in AZ called Casa Bonita and even though it *was* a chain, it blew away any restaurants in NJ that I recall going to!

thanks to everyone, i've jotted these places down. i've been the jose tejas and the place in warren, but they were so long ago my memory is foggy, and I hadn't appreciated real Mexican at that point in my life.
Seriously, Tahiti, "LA" (The nickname parlance of the place) is fine. It's better than our pizza in New Mexico! Or cheesesteaks or chinese or.........

Old 08-01-2007, 04:27 PM

57 posts, read 286,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Freehold Borough has El Meson, Mi Lindo Mexico and El Familiar which are all very good. Red Bank has Juanitos, a small place across from the train station (Bridge Ave and Monmouth St.) whose name I can't remember, Carlos O'Connors' and Casa Comida which are again all very good. Happy hunting.
exhdo1 Is on the money with his recommendations. I never tried Juanito’s in Red Bank but their restaurant in Howell is outstanding.

Are you talking about Tex-Mex or Cal-Mex or are you talking about real Mexican food?
We have loads of illegal aliens here from Mexico and there are restaurants set up to cater to them. You should go to where the Mexicans live, you will find good cheap authentic food.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:01 AM

I'll bet the illegal Mexican restaurant that was being operating from a private home in Freehold Borough (that was busted 2X so far) had real good Mexican food. The case just went to court and a total of nearly $11,500.00 in fines were given. The absentee landlord and the tennent both got hit hard.
There is also a Mexican Restaurant in the 6-12 plaza in Freehold (Throckmorton and Broad st.). I've eaten there a couple of times and it is also very good, (absolutely no ambiance) but they serve authentic Mexican dishes.

Lepke, I've eaten in Juanitos in Howell and for some reason I find the one in Red bank better. My perception is that the food is just a little bit better.
There was also a Mexican Restaurant in the Central Jersey Pool plaza on Rt.9 north in Freehold Township, (Little Mexico Cafe) that I personally thought had the best Mexican Food in the area. Like any other restaurant that has opened in that plaza it's now gone. It's now an Italian Restaurant (Valentinos) and it's pretty good.

Last edited by exhdo1; 08-02-2007 at 07:15 AM..

Old 08-02-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
exhdo1 Is on the money with his recommendations. I never tried Juanito’s in Red Bank but their restaurant in Howell is outstanding.

Are you talking about Tex-Mex or Cal-Mex or are you talking about real Mexican food?
We have loads of illegal aliens here from Mexico and there are restaurants set up to cater to them. You should go to where the Mexicans live, you will find good cheap authentic food.
Your right. Like I said in my post above the Mexican restaurant in the 6-12 Plaza is the real thing. Just don't pull into the parking lot with a pickup truck or you'll never make it to the front door . There is also another small place on South Street (RT.79) in the boro not far from Saint Rose of Lima church. That's my next stop. I'll bring my translator and fill you in.

By the way if anyones into steak, try the South Street Steak House in Freehold Borough. It's pricey but very good.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:14 PM

The name of the Mexican restaurant in the 6-12 plaza is Y Taqueria Munoz.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:48 AM

17 posts, read 77,793 times
Escondido's in Freehold (next to Moore's Tavern, near the hospital)is my favorite. Juanito's in Howell is good, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey