Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2011, 09:41 AM

6 posts, read 10,674 times

Advertisements

Hi Friends,
I'm sure you can all relate.

My wife and I are currently looking for a house, but stumped on an area, and could really use your help.

We live in Bayside, Queens now, and both work in Manhattan.

We want to be close to family (Our immediate family is in Queens and Northern NJ - Pompton Plains & Wanaque)

As well- Were long term people, and are looking for a house we can raise a family in.

Deal breakers
* A difficult commute from NYC. (Ideally under an hr commute - able to walk to train station super bonus)
* An area which is too far from the family.
* Ridiculously High Taxes. (I feel like almost every area in NY Metro is a bit high. My biggest concern- Owing Uncle Sam $30K a year. As we all know- Taxes go up - not down

Must have
* Good school district

Budget -
My guess- I won't be able to go anywhere for under $750K - $900K.

We have no problem sacrificing the size of a house, for the conveniences listed above.

All suggestions and ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 10:33 AM

83 posts, read 224,732 times
rutherford??

Old 04-30-2011, 11:13 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,663 times
Try Ridgewood and Glen Rock. Ho-Ho-Kus, Ramsey, Mahwah might be options too.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,686 times
You really shouldn't have any problem finding a house close to NYC and Pompton Plains/ Wanaque with the price range. Taxes are high pretty much everywhere in NJ when compared to the rest of the country, but I'll suggest the following areas because they are at least on the lower end, especially when taking into account that you want a solid school system.
If you use Zillow.com, you can usually find the taxes paid info on the house listing.

Paramus: nice middle/upper middle class area, low taxes, good school system, don't know about trains.

Ridgewood- super charming, great school system, but homes are likely to be on higher end. Does have a train station in the shopping district, so you might not want to buy a home within walking distance. Taxes are a bit on the higher side

Fair Lawn- middle/upper class, train station, good school system, taxes not as high as Ridgewood but town not as charming

Wyckoff- very nice area, super close to Pompton Plains/Wanaque, no train station, don't know about taxes

Little Falls- train station, middle/upper class, decent school system, don't know about taxes

Good luck

Old 04-30-2011, 12:27 PM

15 posts, read 29,448 times
monmouth/middlesex county seems to be a preferred area. The schools are considered relatively good, and the train in matawan runs right into Penn Station. Its about an hour train ride every day to manhattan, but it may be worth a look

Old 04-30-2011, 01:19 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,663 times
Depending on where you work in Manhattan, buses might be an option too, which opens up different towns and can often be quicker and easier.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:06 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,199,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Depending on where you work in Manhattan, buses might be an option too, which opens up different towns and can often be quicker and easier.
Right, it makes a big difference if you work downtown or elsewhere; for downtown you want to connect to the PATH. For almost anywhere else, Midtown Direct train service or bus service is as good or better. Private bus companies are Community Coach, Decamp, and Lakeland.

Non-ridiculous tax requirements rule out any town in Essex County with a decent school district.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:07 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyisfallingapart View Post
monmouth/middlesex county seems to be a preferred area. The schools are considered relatively good, and the train in matawan runs right into Penn Station. Its about an hour train ride every day to manhattan, but it may be worth a look
Agreed. We live on the fringes of Old Bridge, closer to the Monmouth side of things. The Matawan/Aberdeen train is about a 10 minute drive from our house. Very convient train station for my hubby who commutes into the city. He does have to take the subway into work which adds an additional 30 minutes to his commute. Some of his other jobs were a short walk from Penn Station which was nice.

Overall, we've been very happy with the school system in Old Bridge. Houses in our neighborhood are selling in the $400-500k price range and you have a nice established neighborhood. Our area still has some nice rural elements to it so you can see nice open land, horses grazing, and even a tractor or two. We like it here although we are trying to move out of state for a variety of reasons.

Only drawback for my husband was getting a parking space in the Aberdeen parking lot. We waited 5 years or so for a space to become available. He had to leave super early to get one of the pay by the day open spaces which was a pain. Many other folks take the buses to work. Seems to be plenty of options in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey