Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 03:19 PM

7 posts, read 87,470 times

Advertisements

My Husband and I are looking to start a family and buy a home in NJ. We had been looking in the Princeton, West Windsor-Plainsboro, East & South Brunswick areas. Like everyone else, we're looking for a do-able commute to the city and good schools...I know there are parking issues on the Princeton train stations. However, the realtor recently suggested Monroe (at least the north section). She mentioned that the schools were recently awarded blue-ribbon status, but based on the stats available, they don't seem to stack up to the others above....anyone have any insight on how good the Monroe schools are? Are they a good alternative to the ones listed above? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 11:30 PM

7 posts, read 38,276 times
Monroe schools have been excellent for many years--during the 90's two of its elemetary schools received blue ribbon awards. And the district's numbers have only gotten better in this decade. Go to the schoolmatters.com website and check the numbers out for yourself

Both my nephews received an excellent education in Monroe, which is the reason I decided to buy a home here in May.

And by the way, the property taxes are much lower than those other districts you've mentioned.

If your looking for good schools without getting killed by the taxes, Monroe is a good option

As for the commute, it is doable by bus and car only, because the train stations are far away. The Old Bridge Park & Ride is 15-20 minutes away, but the bus ride from the OBP&R is only 45 minutes to an hour to the PA .

Old 08-02-2007, 08:30 AM

25 posts, read 186,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrelo View Post
My Husband and I are looking to start a family and buy a home in NJ. We had been looking in the Princeton, West Windsor-Plainsboro, East & South Brunswick areas. Like everyone else, we're looking for a do-able commute to the city and good schools..!
I am also in the same situation as OP and looking for hearing reviews about Monore (which seciton is good and which one to avoide).

Any inputs are very helpfull for ppl like us.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:45 PM

44 posts, read 270,055 times
Quote:
My Husband and I are looking to start a family and buy a home in NJ. We had been looking in the Princeton, West Windsor-Plainsboro, East & South Brunswick areas. Like everyone else, we're looking for a do-able commute to the city and good schools...I know there are parking issues on the Princeton train stations. However, the realtor recently suggested Monroe (at least the north section). She mentioned that the schools were recently awarded blue-ribbon status, but based on the stats available, they don't seem to stack up to the others above....anyone have any insight on how good the Monroe schools are? Are they a good alternative to the ones listed above? Thank you!
All the schools you mentioned are excellent. Monroe is I think, coming into its own a bit. Everyone we know who lives there loves it. If the school reports are not good (I don't know if they are or aren't) it may be because there's been major building in the area in the past few years. New big homes, out of the reach of many. They're Building a new high school to get control of the new increase in population. They may need to just catch up a bit.

Other good alternatives for a NYC commute would be Edison/ Metuchen or Clark / Cranford. Good luck

ps. do a google of NJ school district report cards, You want Middlesex county from the towns you mentioned

Old 08-03-2007, 09:06 PM

7 posts, read 38,276 times
Because Monroe is still semi rural in many places, there are no bad places that must be avoided. The township is large, however, and has a variety of housing stock. You can go the Mill Lake section and get small starter homes for under 400,000. The areas surrounding Mill Lake have homes in the 400's and 500's. Then there are numerous McMansion developments that have homes from the 700's to over a million.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:31 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,769 times
Quote:
They are all good school districts, but the blue ribbon program ended 10 years ago though all the realtors around here use that line. Monroe has a large over 55 housing base which was put in to keep a handle on the number of kids moving in - the negative is that the oldies are taking over the boards and the votes are becoming very senior friendly and anti kid so you might want to check that out.

One other consideration though is that while the commute may be "doable" it is actually pretty long - over an hour, and frequently a lot over an hour, my average from around here factoring getting in to stations etc. is around 1:15 - 1:30 each way but it can be longer. That is a serious consideration with kids. As someone mentioned above, Metuchen or even somewhere closer to the city might be a better bet. Prices are coming down so you might be able to negotiate a good price in a traditional "train town" in another month or so.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:19 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,399 times
Monroe has good schools and the North section is pretty nice. You get a lot more for your money tax wise out there.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:11 AM

57 posts, read 266,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeViper01 View Post
Monroe has good schools and the North section is pretty nice. You get a lot more for your money tax wise out there.
Does anyone know specifics of the new elementary school and high school plans? I have heard the area is good but crowded and these new projects should address a lot of the issues.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:07 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njposter View Post
Does anyone know specifics of the new elementary school and high school plans? I have heard the area is good but crowded and these new projects should address a lot of the issues.
I have not heard about that but if there is anything, you should be able to find it here:

Monroe Township School District

Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 AM

11 posts, read 41,840 times
Default Scoop on MOnroe

Monroe schools were excellent when it wasn't hit with the population stick. Unfortunately the middle school and high school has taken a plunge and because of the oldies in the town the budget is not getting past as fast as it should be considering the affluent families that have recently moved there.

Taxes are low, but schools are overcrowded. Children are now in trailers.

Not to mention that there was a landfill there from decades ago. They abated the property, filled it and built beautiful homes...isn't that great.

It's not a horrible town, but don't let the realtors pull the Blue Ribbon Schools card. That was YEARS ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey