U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-01-2011, 11:53 PM

284 posts, read 269,826 times
Default how much to rebuild a house and where do I begin?

We are interested in a house, but it has 2 bedrooms and needs a lot of work, say we will need to expand/repave the driveway and the private road going to the house needs repair, replace the roof, cut a number of trees etc..then the interior of the house...replace the appliances
Given the amount of work, I thought we may as well rebuild it.

I searched previous discussions and couldn't find too many posts..
Cost to Rebuild

The house is in Passaic County and I am thinking to rebuild it to a 3 bedrooms/2 baths around 2000 ft, obviously we will need to repave and expand the driveway etc..if I were not looking for top-end appliances, how much does it cost to rebuild ?and possibly from someone who has a recent experience even not in Passaic County. I like to have a rough idea before making an offer..

If I do rebuild, do I begin by contacting an architecture? or contact the town to see whether there are any restrictions? then find a contractor to handle everything?

Last edited by anna_mom; 05-02-2011 at 12:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 02:10 PM

4,552 posts, read 8,307,976 times
building and rebuilding is very expensive.... I would say $150/sq ft.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:16 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,929,585 times
Since you are looking at a house in Passaic County, I'd suggest your first step should be to research the flood plains and determine if the house is subject to flooding. Once you confirm the house is not within the flood plain, then you should start by hiring an architect.

Preferably, the architect should be familiar with the town and the rules that govern such work in the town. Do not rely on the town to provide you with the information as they will not be able to sufficiently comment until they see the plans. Once you have secured the architect then work with them to determine whether the work should be put out to bid or could a contractor be selected from the phone book. Given what you are describing, it may be better to put the job out to bid.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:28 PM

587 posts, read 1,198,278 times
dont forget that your taxes will significantly go up after all that good stuff that you do to the house. The city needs their share of your happiness.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:22 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,445,680 times
Not worth the cost. Just find another house that is in good condition with 3 beds. There is plenty of inventory available so this would be best and cheapest bet.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:27 AM

4,552 posts, read 8,307,976 times
yeah i cant imagine it is worth it

Old 05-03-2011, 10:31 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,900,276 times
Totally not worth it unless you can do a lot of it yourself, especially with all of the homes on the market right now.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:43 PM

3 posts, read 5,073 times
Hi anna_mom,
Just wanted to give you another perspective besides the comments about not worth rebuilding. Its true that there are many houses on the market today to choose from. But if you have a good amount of equity in your home and you find that you are in a good neighborhood that has all your needs and wants, rebuilding or renovating may be the way to go. The last project I worked on was for a family with one child and one on the way. They love the town they are in and had a good amount of equity in their home. We designed an addition and altered parts of the exisitng home as well as insulating the entire home. The addition included master bedroom bathroom suite, new additional bedroom, new kitchen, walk-in closets, roofing, Heating & AC system, playroom and Dining/Living space and more (electrical, plumbing, etc.). The total construction cost was approximately 250,000 for approximately 1,100 sq. ft. of addition. They have a completely new home which is customed designed to their needs. They will not be able to find an exisitng home even in today's market in the same neighborhood for less than $450,000.00. Even if they did find a home for less it will not be exactly the way they want it and would most likely require some mandatory upgrades just to make it more energy efficient or what have you.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:10 PM

2,904 posts, read 2,559,255 times
Absolutely not worth it, especially if you don't know exactly what you are doing. Cost overruns, no-show subcontractors, delays, problems with the town, stolen items on the job. There are so many problems with rebuilding an existing dwelling that I don't know where to start.

Unless you are independently wealthy and just don't care, it makes no sense, unless you are a contractor yourself and know how to supervise a job and have rock solid reliable subs. There are just too many different people in the mix, all of whom want to make a big profit, and many of whom who may or may not be reliable or honest. Plus they all have to work together, not get in each other's way, yet at the same time depend on each other to an extent.

It's a total mess. Again, if you have a construction background, contacts, and a good relationship with building and zoning, go ahead. But if you are going to order all this stuff retail and depend on 3rd parties to do the job, forget about it. You are just asking to be blitzed, and that's exactly what will happen in most cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey