Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 09:14 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay View Post
We are at 2 Gateway. I think the first case happened right downstair at Ferry street entrance. We guess maybe it's 11am which may not have many people on the street yet. 2 guys approached him and robbed him at the corner of the entrance which guard cannot see them due to angle. He went upstair and told the guard. The guard called police and police only came the next day. The second case happened in the parking lot right across the prudential center. The guy got punched and robbed. The third case just happened last week and we saw police came to office as iphone4 is company phone.
The office moved to Gateway in 2008 and I have never heard anything like that happened to our co-workers until this month. I am not a panic person. I used to live in westside of Jersey City before we moved last year. I don't even feel unsafe living there. In the newark office, I only felt uncomfortable when I stayed late in the office due to more external foot traffic in the building during off hours. Otherwise, I do not feel unsafe. Now..I am not so sure.
Wow, Gateway 2 was my Gateway. There's no Ferry St. entrance maybe you mean 21/Market? There's a camera that points to that intersection but I'm not sure how much it's watched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 04:14 PM

431 posts, read 942,672 times
More fatal violence in downtown newark, this is right at teacher's village across from prudential arena

Corrections officer killed in 'horrific act of violence' in Newark is identified | NJ.com

Even corrections officers aren't safe here

Old 07-31-2011, 04:29 PM

Quoting "5reasons" in regards to: Charlottesville Teacher Killed in NJ Shooting

"We no longer have a shock factor because of the increasing barberism. Indeed, if we still HAD shock, it would be a good sign. But alas, the criminals have made their permanent impression on our expectations of what reality is in Newark in 2011. "
"And so the beat goes on. The cars still driven; the officers still sittin; the budget still unbalanced. This is the state of Newark in 2011. A broken machine in a weak economy which needs strong leadership. But when you look around what is there to be found? Nothing! Politicians being political and solutions not being served."

Source: Shooting Maple & Chancellor Avenue? - Newark Speaks

Bottom line you can build all the bars and restaurants you want but it won't fix Newark's problem or lead to any sustainable gentrification, middle class people don't just hang in bars and restaurants all day eating and drinking.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:34 PM

Any who if you still are interested there are tons of spots available at Welcome to Packard Lofts as there are no takers.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:02 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
Any who if you still are interested there are tons of spots available at Welcome to Packard Lofts as there are no takers.
Its not even finished yet and give it 6 months it will be full or half full....

Old 07-31-2011, 05:21 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
More fatal violence in downtown newark, this is right at teacher's village across from prudential arena

Corrections officer killed in 'horrific act of violence' in Newark is identified | NJ.com

Even corrections officers aren't safe here

Teacher's village doesn't exist. That area behind the shops along Market is burned out.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:42 PM

Braun: Newark's violence points to cop layoffs, breakdown in values | NJ.com

Bottom line folks its only going to get worse

But budget cuts and police layoffs are only part of the problem, many say. Something else is happening — some things — suggesting we are entering a different time. On a recent public radio show, Newark Mayor Cory Booker — who declined to be interviewed here — expressed amazement at the "indiscriminate hate and violence" that seemed to grip the city.
Clement Price, a Rutgers historian, says cities are changing, and not for the better. "There always has been crime, but certainly not this level of street violence."
Price says, "The community is splintering, coming apart, turning on itself in ways we’ve not seen before. The values that kept the community together are breaking down — respect for church, family, the elderly, neighborhood solidarity."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey