Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,289 times

Advertisements

I'm just out of school and will be starting work at Parsippany. Was wondering where young professionals stay who work there ? I've heard that Parsippany, Morristown and Madison are more sub urban. I was looking at Hoboken, Jersey City and Weehawken, but it seems like public transport to Parsippany takes over 2 hours so I would be needing the car. Is that a good idea to live in these areas when I own a car.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 09:18 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,935,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wt7815 View Post
I'm just out of school and will be starting work at Parsippany. Was wondering where young professionals stay who work there ? I've heard that Parsippany, Morristown and Madison are more sub urban. I was looking at Hoboken, Jersey City and Weehawken, but it seems like public transport to Parsippany takes over 2 hours so I would be needing the car. Is that a good idea to live in these areas when I own a car.

Thanks!
NOT EXACTLY!!!!! You were doing it wrong. The best way to parsippany is by express bus known as 79. The line takes only 1 hour NOT 2. The trick is to get it out of penn station newark. If not no worries use morristown train to orange then 79 goes express to parsippany click here http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0079.pdf and here http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0040.pdf the trick is to time the connections at the orange train station to keep travel time at a minimum. So public transport is faster than you think you were just looking at all the wrong methods of using the train to go to parsippany thats all. In order for the trip to be less than 2 hours you will have to take a bus at orange!!!!! Here in NJ if you dont use the right bus or get off at the wrong train station your travel time can double automatically. Hoboken and jersey city are still good places. I would prefer hoboken. As you have to use train to orange then EXPRESS BUS. The 79 picks up on main street one block up from the train. If timed right your trip can even be cut down to less than 1 hour!!!!

Old 05-14-2011, 09:42 PM

also another method exists that is also less than 2 hours actually less than an hour if done right that is. use 126 NJT to NY then use lakeland 46 express to parsippany. The 46 LL is an express bus. Also NJT126 isn't the only way as PATH to 33rd street is also doable with the N train to port authority then use the lakeland. But the most cost effective is morristown train to 79. If u get a monthly rail pass the same pass works on buses as well so the 79 wont cost you extra money.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:56 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,053,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wt7815 View Post

Thanks!
Yes, if you are working Parsippany, you will need a car.

If I were you, I would start by trying to find a rental near your place of work for a year. You might like it enough, and if you decide you want something with more stuff to do. then you can look into Hoboken once you are here.

People seem to recommend Morristown also. That might be a good starting point too. You can still easily have your car, the commute won't be too bad, and there is a bit more to do in Morristown than some of the other towns in that area.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:58 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,053,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
NOT EXACTLY!!!!! You were doing it wrong. The best way to parsippany is by express bus known as 79. The line takes only 1 hour NOT 2. The trick is to get it out of penn station newark. If not no worries use morristown train to orange then 79 goes express to parsippany click here http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0079.pdf and here http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0040.pdf the trick is to time the connections at the orange train station to keep travel time at a minimum. So public transport is faster than you think you were just looking at all the wrong methods of using the train to go to parsippany thats all. In order for the trip to be less than 2 hours you will have to take a bus at orange!!!!! Here in NJ if you dont use the right bus or get off at the wrong train station your travel time can double automatically. Hoboken and jersey city are still good places. I would prefer hoboken. As you have to use train to orange then EXPRESS BUS. The 79 picks up on main street one block up from the train. If timed right your trip can even be cut down to less than 1 hour!!!!
This is totally nuts.

To the OP, you will need your car for a Parsippany job.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:42 PM

219 posts, read 540,164 times
I'm a bit confused as to why you are going the extremes like Hoboken and Jersey City instead of 1/4 the time and distance west, south or north of Parsippany?

A short commute by car, like 10-15 miles during the week and a long train ride to Hoboken and/or Jersey City (and more like NYC) on the week-end/days off? I think otherwise you'll be spending more time in transit instead of mingling with other young professionals if you live so far away.

BUT, I agree there are some sleeper towns, or "bedroom communities", so it isn't really an easy call. The RT 202 and 206 corridor always have things for young professionals though.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersied View Post
I'm a bit confused as to why you are going the extremes like Hoboken and Jersey City instead of 1/4 the time and distance west, south or north of Parsippany?

A short commute by car, like 10-15 miles during the week and a long train ride to Hoboken and/or Jersey City (and more like NYC) on the week-end/days off? I think otherwise you'll be spending more time in transit instead of mingling with other young professionals if you live so far away.

BUT, I agree there are some sleeper towns, or "bedroom communities", so it isn't really an easy call. The RT 202 and 206 corridor always have things for young professionals though.
I would do the car from morristown yeah LL sucks get a car as 800 series lines suck

Old 05-15-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
This is totally nuts.

If u will live in morris then yes as 800 series run like crap and cut off early. But if commuting from hoboken its easier than it looks plz look at the schedules before bashing as clearly you dont know the 79!!!!! look at the rail and reread my post carefully as I can tell from ur post that you are woefully transit illiterate!!!!!!

Old 05-15-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
This is totally nuts.

If u will live in morris then yes as 800 series run like crap and cut off early. But if commuting from hoboken its easier than it looks plz look at the schedules before bashing as clearly you dont know the 79!!!!! look at the rail and reread my post carefully as I can tell from ur post that you are woefully transit illiterate!!!!!! MY post said ONE BUS ONE TRAIN NO MORE NO LESS ONE TRANSFER THAT'S IT!!!!! let me break it down in lamens terms train to orange then bus then infront of worksite done!!!!!! the bus hits the highway so travel time is less than whats on the schedule.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:12 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,943,133 times
The farther you live from your job, the more expensive and time wasting your commute. A commute is something you have to do twice a day, 5 days a week. The closer you live to your job, the easier your life will be. I'd get a car and try Morristown. Lots of bars and restaurants and young professionals in the downtown area.

You can go to JC/Hoboken on the weekends. Or, eventually change jobs to someplace where it would be more practical to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey