Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:34 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I'll start. I think people are generally courteous when they are driving around their own town. This is in case they see someone they know. No use flipping the bird to your kid's soccer coach.

Outside of their little town, they turn into a bunch of total, I'll let you fill in the blank.
New Jersey Drivers Are... no different than the drivers from the other 49 states. Some are bad some are not as bad.
Some are good, some are gooder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 09:36 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
south Jersey traffic/drivers are a joy as compared to Philly drivers.. I can attest to that. Coming from Philly to south jersey its a cake walk over here in jersey now
I've lived in Philly (Center City). Central-South Jersey and now Northeast Jersey (east of 287).

I found drivers in Philly and Central-South Jersey to be far more courteous drivers, far less aggressive than those up in Northeast Jersey. The drivers in the Philly burbs also. Philly is a city, so you get those issues going on, but I still found the level of courtesy to be higher.

Off topic, but if it wasn't for family reasons, I would move back to Central-South Jersey in a heartbeat to be honest.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:38 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
New Jersey Drivers Are... no different than the drivers from the other 49 states. Some are bad some are not as bad.
Some are good, some are gooder.
Well, yeah, there are jerks and bad drivers everywhere.

So you don't think there are general differences across regions when it comes to driving?

Old 05-19-2011, 09:53 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Well, yeah, there are jerks and bad drivers everywhere.

So you don't think there are general differences across regions when it comes to driving?
The main problem with NJ is just too many cars on the road otherwise drivers are the same.

If you browse the other state forums you will see the same complaints you see on the NJ forum

Old 05-19-2011, 10:25 AM

105 posts, read 514,966 times
horrible. We don't keep up with the flow of traffic, instead we have cars who drive 10 under, 10+, or the limit. We don't like to stop at stop signs, or yield to anything. We want to be as close to the next guys bumper as possible so no one can cut in, or we think that it'll get us to us destination faster. We try to run every light possible. Anyway we hate waiting for anything. Have you seen the parkways lately? In PA I found the drivers to be quite nice with road manners where people went on the left lane ONLY to pass and go back to the middle when finished.

And us NJ drivers get too easy driving tests.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:28 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIK92 View Post
horrible. We don't keep up with the flow of traffic, instead we have cars who drive 10 under, 10+, or the limit. We don't like to stop at stop signs, or yield to anything. We want to be as close to the next guys bumper as possible so no one can cut in, or we think that it'll get us to us destination faster. We try to run every light possible. Anyway we hate waiting for anything. Have you seen the parkways lately? In PA I found the drivers to be quite nice with road manners where people went on the left lane ONLY to pass and go back to the middle when finished.
And us NJ drivers get too easy driving tests.
i've driven all over the country and a good chunk of Europe and have ONLY seen this behavior on a consistant basis in Germany. Certainly not in PA. ALL US drivers need to be better on this one.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:34 AM

249 posts, read 825,035 times
Default Oblivious

Oblivious... My development is cut in half by a busy street. There is a crosswalk at the corner & two signs posted (1 in each direction) about the pedestrian crosswalk. I can't count the number of times I have stood on the corner with my dog trying to cross the street. Finally, the traffic will stop in one direction, so I proceed to the middle of the street. The drivers DO NOT stop for pedestrians in crosswalks!!!

Oblivious again to those drivers around them. It seems that directionals are optional! Driving behind vehicles who suddenly stop for no reason until they turn.

More examples:
Drivers at night without their lights on!
Drivers who's break lights don't work. Driving behind someone and then suddenly you're up their rear end & have to break hard so you don't hit them.

GRRRRR!!!!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
i've driven all over the country and a good chunk of Europe and have ONLY seen this behavior on a consistant basis in Germany. Certainly not in PA. ALL US drivers need to be better on this one.
Well I guess it was a rare day in PA then, but I did have a reckless subaru (with PA plates) on route 80 cut me off 4x, so we have bad drivers everywhere. But yea in Europe they have stricter laws, and you have to pay like 2000 dollars to get your license. I mean here you pay 400 dollars for your 6 hrs, then go for your drivers test at 17, pay the DMV (measly 20 bucks) and you have your license. I had a friend who ran 2 stop signs during her test and go above the limit for the test (like a good 10 mph), and still pass.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:35 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
new jersey drivers don't know what yield signs mean.
it doesn't mean speed up to 90 miles an hour and cut someone off? it doesn't mean come to a complete stop at the very end of the on-ramp?!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
More examples:
Drivers at night without their lights on!
Drivers who's break lights don't work. Driving behind someone and then suddenly you're up their rear end & have to break hard so you don't hit them.

GRRRRR!!!!
People don't care for their cars in America, especially Jersey from what I see. When I was in countries like Germany cars didn't have bald tires, or worn down anything for that matter. And people still do not know that you have to turn your lights on during heavy downpours when your windshield wipers are on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey