Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
One of my "favorites" was when I lived in the Poconos. The NYers - and it was always NYers - would get lost and stop dead in the middle of Rt 209 to try and figure out where they were. This is a road where cars routinely travel at 50 mph when its not jammed with traffic. I wanted to get a vanity plate that said GOBK2NY.

Yup!
Many years ago, I lived in Rahway, fairly close to Route 1.
As a result, I drove on Route 1 almost every day. And, on most days, I would encounter at least one car stopped dead in the left lane, waiting to make a left turn.
Where were they stopped? Right next to a sign saying NO LEFT TURN.

Despite the prominent signs saying, "All turns", next to each jughandle, despite the cars zooming along at 50+ mph and then screeching to a halt in back of them, and despite the signs saying NO LEFT TURN and bearing the universal pictogram for "no left turn", these doofuses would stop in the left lane of the highway to make a left turn.

I never saw a car with NJ license plates doing this type of bone-headed move.
100% of them had NY license plates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJung View Post
BMW drivers are ALWAYS *******s and will cut you off always.

You forgot the most common driving tactic of BMW drivers, namely tailgating.
If I am driving on a narrow, 2 lane country road with no shoulders and lots of deer in the area, and if I am already driving 5-10 mph over the speed limit...why do these 20-35 year old women driving Beemers think that it is appropriate to drive about 5 feet behind my rear bumper? If I have to brake suddenly for deer, do these chicks really think that they will be able to stop in time?

Old 08-27-2012, 10:01 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

Yup!
Many years ago, I lived in Rahway, fairly close to Route 1.
As a result, I drove on Route 1 almost every day. And, on most days, I would encounter at least one car stopped dead in the left lane, waiting to make a left turn.
Where were they stopped? Right next to a sign saying NO LEFT TURN.

Despite the prominent signs saying, "All turns", next to each jughandle, despite the cars zooming along at 50+ mph and then screeching to a halt in back of them, and despite the signs saying NO LEFT TURN and bearing the universal pictogram for "no left turn", these doofuses would stop in the left lane of the highway to make a left turn.

I never saw a car with NJ license plates doing this type of bone-headed move.
100% of them had NY license plates.
I used to see the EXACT same thing mornings on Route 23 through Pompton Plains. One rainy morning one of these NY geniuses did this and almost caused multiple accidents on both sides of the highway. Then he pulled into a parking lot and flipped the bird at all the cars that had screeched to a halt to avoid hitting him.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:07 AM

Two other favorite tactics of NY drivers:

- Backing up on highways because they missed their exit
- Deliberately speeding up to not let you merge onto the highway (usually Rt 80 in the Poconos) in front of them

Not so long ago, a NY driver driving a van full of people to Dorney Park killed most, if not all, of his passengers when he tried backing up on 78 because he missed the exit for Dorney Park. And there are several exits within a mile of so of the one he missed where he could have easily turned around.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Two other favorite tactics of NY drivers:

- Backing up on highways because they missed their exit
- Deliberately speeding up to not let you merge onto the highway (usually Rt 80 in the Poconos) in front of them

Not so long ago, a NY driver driving a van full of people to Dorney Park killed most, if not all, of his passengers when he tried backing up on 78 because he missed the exit for Dorney Park. And there are several exits within a mile of so of the one he missed where he could have easily turned around.
Everything that you say is true, but...if someone is really stupid (as most of those NY road hazards obviously are), finding their way from a different exit is probably too much of an intellectual challenge for them. Hence, the really, really dangerous manuevers that we have both observed.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Everything that you say is true, but...if someone is really stupid (as most of those NY road hazards obviously are), finding their way from a different exit is probably too much of an intellectual challenge for them. Hence, the really, really dangerous manuevers that we have both observed.

Sad, but true.

I thought about adding not turning on their lights during bad weather and thus making themselves nearly invisible, but alas, I used to see a lot of NJ drivers do that too. Never could figure that one out. An old friend of mine who used to live on Long Island told me once that its an unwritten law in NY to never turn on your lights in bad weather .

Old 08-27-2012, 10:33 AM

And since I'm on a roll....

When I lived in NJ I was a member of a very busy first aid squad for 15 years. Most (but not all) NJ drivers would yield (which means pull over and STOP) to the ambulance, but a lot (but not all) NY drivers would simply move to the side of the road, but keep zipping along at whatever speed they were going at, which forces the ambulance to either not pass them or drive faster just to get around them.

Another favorite stupid driver trick, which was a NY favorite now that I'm thinking about it, was to tailgate the ambulance to get through traffic with it. This is an extremely dangerous stunt, as many drivers who yield to the ambulance will pull back into traffic as soon as it passes and not expect another vehicle to be on its rear bumper.

Then there's the blue light issue. NJ law requires drivers to yield to volunteers who are responding to an emergency and displaying a blue light on their vehicle. Again, most NJ drivers obey this law, but very very few NY drivers do.

And before this debate starts, which it almost always does, this is not a "courtesy". In NJ, it is the law and you can get the same ticket you get for failing to yield to an emergency vehicle.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:44 PM

376 posts, read 665,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergatroyd View Post
In NJ, YIELD means speed up!

I watched a woman speed up on a jughandle, on wet pavement mind you, and spun onto the highway out of control. Hopefully it was a wakeup call for her but I doubt it.
this is funny because i know a specific exit off route 78 that people get off of where people literally ignore the yield sign. they don't even slow down. they drive right into the roadway expecting the driver who's driving like 50 or more to slow down so they can keep on going. sad. another thing too, i actually blame the state for some of the bad driving in here because they allow it through the way they set up the roads. the reason why i say that is because i noticed that by the way some of these roadways are built, they are accident traps such as the stretch of road on route 22 going from union to springfield. there are some other roads that i've encountered such as another part of route 22 going west around the bridgewater area route 287, route 22 and 202 that is also an accident trap. there's no way anybody can tell me that that's not intentionally set up like that. with the way people drive, of course when they're going to turn off an exit, it's going to cause a car trash. i think jersey needs to fix it's road infrastructure because it's terrible. new york has a better road infrastructure despite the bad drivers.

Last edited by the nation is still angry; 08-27-2012 at 02:53 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 06:54 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
[quote= i think jersey needs to fix it's road infrastructure because it's terrible. new york has a better road infrastructure despite the bad drivers.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that, most of NY hasn't been modified or upgraded in centuries.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:18 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,985 times
I wish they'd get with it in south Jersey,especially SW...they either drive TOO slow or too fast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey