U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2007, 01:04 PM

5,548 posts, read 12,027,681 times

Advertisements

I've lived in NJ my entire life, raised two children here, but both couldn't wait to get out of the state once they graduated out-of-state colleges. One constant in this thread seems to focus on the expectation of children living here and as parents living near them. Unfortunately they need to spread their own wings and have their own lives. We will be retiring in the next few months but did a lot of due diligence deciding where we wanted to live using financials, activities, what different areas had to offer in relationship to what we wanted to do, etc. I don't believe you can follow your children, as they can up and move at anytime. We are leaving NJ because it doesn't offer what we are looking for in the future and has become too crowded and expensive. I doubt if that will change in the future as NJ is so in debt, there is a lot of corruption and waste in the government. We do not care for the heat and humidity of the south and prefer the snow and changing seasons.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:07 PM

1,800 posts, read 4,930,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FergusonDechert View Post
For all you Jersey Haters, I love Jersey! I think it is a great place to live and raise my 4 year old daughter. I also live in Cape May County where you can buy a 3 br home for $300k and have a tax bill less than $5000. I think raising your kids in this state is the best thing you can do for them. The schools down here are great! There is so much opportunity for them here. Plus living in Jersey, you develop this attitude of "if I can succeed here, I can succeed anywhere". I want her to grow up with that Jersey chip on her shoulder. If she decides to leave the state because she can't afford it, then fine, I'll decide what to do if that happens. But I think by staying here, she will have the best opportunity to succeed anywhere.

Haters??? No one here is a NJ hater! If you'd taken the time to read some of the previous posts carefully, you would have noticed that there was not one poster who stated that they HATED NJ.
Good luck to you an your four year old daughter. Check back in in 20 years when your daughter is struggling to keep herself and her family afloat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
ok so there it is.... the big problem with people in this state who say they cant afford to live here anymore. you said it. BIG HOME....how big are you looking for? if your single why get a big home. you stretch yourself beyond your means. everyone is so quick to blame the state for being so expensive and auto insurance is so expensive. well of course it is if your insuring a 60,000 suv with full coverage DUH.,..and if you live in 1,000,000.00 home with taxes that are beyond belief. cmon people take a look at how we are living now a days. people say i hope our kids can afford to live here. yes they can if they are tought how to manage money and not get into debt beyond their means. do new drivers need to have a brand new car? no... so stop complaining and start spending right.
To you, deb: What gives you the impression that anyone responding to this thread lives in a $1,000,000 home and drives a $60,000 car???
We lived in a $350,000 4BR 2BTH home with $15,000 in property taxes. You think that's reasonable? OUCH!
My husband's family has lived (and still does) in New Jersey for over 35 years IN THE SAME HOUSE, raised their four children there, all the while paying their property taxes faithfully and on time. Do you think it's fair that they should now be subjected to a $11,000 property tax bill? I think not!

Last edited by stmaarten; 08-03-2007 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: deleted negative comment

Old 08-03-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We are leaving NJ because it doesn't offer what we are looking for in the future and has become too crowded and expensive. I doubt if that will change in the future as NJ is so in debt, there is a lot of corruption and waste in the government. .
BINGO!!!! There is it, plain and simple. Corruption and waste in the government.
Although I agree with you, Ellwood, children should spread their own wings and find a place that suits their needs, but I also think it is important to provide them with the opportunity to stay close, in an affordable place, if they choose to.
Best of luck to you.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
why not? i did it, i'm not that old where NJ was more affordable than it is now. make sure they get a good education, go into a field that they enjoy and can make a living on, don't spend beyond your means. i wasn't brought up thinking it was a god-given right to a $600K house and 2 $50K SUV's. no matter where you live, you start off small, and work your way up. even kids in NC probably start off in crappy apartments and work their way up.

eta: i know NJ is not the end all be all, *just like anyplace else*. i've traveled extensively through all parts of the US and world. one thing I realized that is this place is better than most and I choose to keep my roots here. don't assume ppl who live here are ignorant of other places.
Some are ignorant, but I'm not going to get into it with you again, as you freaked out on another post. BUT, why do some people immediately assume that everyone who wants to try to scope out a less expensive life, owns an expensive car and lives in a huge home? No one is saying that. A lot of friends of mine live in expensive neighborhoods in NJ, drive very nice cars, but guess what, they CAN afford it. We are middle class folk and decided that we couldn't afford the taxes anymore, and frankly, found absolutely NO justification for such extreme tax hikes every year.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:26 PM

12,284 posts, read 29,609,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Some are ignorant, but I'm not going to get into it with you again, as you freaked out on another post. BUT, why do some people immediately assume that everyone who wants to try to scope out a less expensive life, owns an expensive car and lives in a huge home? No one is saying that. A lot of friends of mine live in expensive neighborhoods in NJ, drive very nice cars, but guess what they CAN afford it. We are middle class folk and decided that we couldn't afford the taxes anymore, and frankly, found absolutely NO justification for such extreme tax hikes every year.

i don't remember freaking out on you, but whatever.

i'm not sure what your post and reasons for leaving have to do with the original question since you asked about CHILDREN, but my answer is YES, our children can afford this place, much like a lot of 20-somethings afford NYC and Cali and any other expensive place. it's the same formula wherever you live - good education, good job, good money skills. if my kids decide to leave NJ when they are adults, that's cool, i have no problem with that.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
We lived in a $350,000 4BR 2BTH home with $15,000 in property taxes. You think that's reasonable? OUCH!
may i ask where this is? this seems completely outrageous. essex county isn't this bad, and bergen county $350K houses are practically non existant. lol

Old 08-03-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
may i ask where this is? this seems completely outrageous. essex county isn't this bad, and bergen county $350K houses are practically non existant. lol
We lived in both Bergen and Sussex County. Bergen wasn't so bad when we moved to Sussex years ago. Sussex County had outrageous tax increases in the last several years. And some towns in our area are up for re-assessment, so some poor souls will have extreme tax hikes. It just didn't add up.
You're right, a $350 home is close to non-exsistant in bergen Cty. I guess the way to go is just to never move from one home to another within the state.
I have to log off, this subject matter is making me crazy.
Enjoy the weekend.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
We are middle class folk and decided that we couldn't afford the taxes anymore, and frankly, found absolutely NO justification for such extreme tax hikes every year.
maybe you need to take this up with local government then. my taxes don't rise that much each year (i read, i'm not sure if it was you - of $800 to $1000 hikes per year). in fact, mine only rose $200 this year.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:58 PM

10 posts, read 37,398 times
NJ reminds me, albeit to a less extent, than what is going on in NYC. NYC is becoming home to two kinds of people rich and poor with not much in the middle. Either you're rich and high prices, taxes, living costs don't phase you or you are poor and have nowhere else to go. I can't understand how the state gets away with charging the property taxes that they do. How do they justify the numbers? Does someone know where all of these property taxes actually go? Does it cost three times as much to pave a road in NJ as it does in Delaware?

Old 08-03-2007, 02:42 PM

1,367 posts, read 2,738,781 times
Quote:
why not? i did it, i'm not that old where NJ was more affordable than it is now. make sure they get a good education, go into a field that they enjoy and can make a living on, don't spend beyond your means. i wasn't brought up thinking it was a god-given right to a $600K house and 2 $50K SUV's. no matter where you live, you start off small, and work your way up. even kids in NC probably start off in crappy apartments and work their way up.

eta: i know NJ is not the end all be all, *just like anyplace else*. i've traveled extensively through all parts of the US and world. one thing I realized that is this place is better than most and I choose to keep my roots here. don't assume ppl who live here are ignorant of other places.
i agree with you. but most kids now a days are spoiled and think they can get everything handed to them. come to think of most adults are spoiled spending a redicoulous amount of money on things. i lived with my parents and then rented until i saved enough money to buy a fixer upper house. to this day we still work on it. it will never be done. but i refuse to go buy anything new. i would never buy a new house they are built by inexperienced builders who are only out to make money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey