U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2007, 09:32 AM
 
114 posts, read 124,107 times
Reputation: 35

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
Yes, but, let's be honest, they're rewarding people in Tennessee for actually completing high school. It's an achievement; I'm surprised they don't throw in a bonus for graduating with all your teeth intact.

Also, your child is going to a Tennessee state school, so, it is what it is. It's...Tennessee! You get what you pay for.

Also, your argument might be more compelling if you could actually spell "scholarship" and refrain from random, incorrect capitalization. Just sayin'.
My sentiments exactly

 
Old 08-05-2007, 11:16 AM
 
1,800 posts, read 4,924,887 times
Reputation: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Then when asked where this $350,000 with $15,000 in taxes is you stated...



I found this post very misleading.
My apologies if you found my posts misleading. It wasn't my intention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
It was totally misleading because stmaarten has their own agenda. They said, We lived in a $350,000 4BR 2BTH home with $15,000 in property taxes which turns out not to be true. The house cost $350k when it was first bought a gazillion years ago but as its value increased, so did the property taxes. They just "neglected" to say that.

We did not purchase the $350,000 home in Sussex Cty. a "gazillion" years ago. Again, re-read the my previous posts, before you rebuttle.
How does any of this justify the huge property tax hikes in New Jersey?
My in-laws bought their home 40 years ago for $25,000 and now pay $11,000 in property taxes. Is that justifiable? So, you could say, well when they sell they'll make a bundle. But what if they don't want to sell?
Yes, taxes are part of life, but the way the government in New Jersey is handling things doesn't seem very honest. JMHO
It's unfortunate, because if you can afford it, doesn't mean your children will, hence my original post.

Last edited by stmaarten; 08-05-2007 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: clarification
 
Old 08-05-2007, 06:49 PM
 
Location: NJ
12,284 posts, read 29,564,768 times
Reputation: 5166
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
My apologies if you found my posts misleading. It wasn't my intention.




We did not purchase the $350,000 home in Sussex Cty. a "gazillion" years ago. Again, re-read the my previous posts, before you rebuttle.
How does any of this justify the huge property tax hikes in New Jersey?
My in-laws bought their home 40 years ago for $25,000 and now pay $11,000 in property taxes. Is that justifiable? So, you could say, well when they sell they'll make a bundle. But what if they don't want to sell?
Yes, taxes are part of life, but the way the government in New Jersey is handling things doesn't seem very honest. JMHO
It's unfortunate, because if you can afford it, doesn't mean your children will, hence my original post.

i understand you now, but the post was misleading. someone looking to move to NJ would see "wow! $350K houses have $15K taxes???" when it reality I'm guessing your home sold for somewhere around $700K.
 
Old 08-05-2007, 06:53 PM
 
Location: NJ
12,284 posts, read 29,564,768 times
Reputation: 5166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Your Children will leave NJ, because they won't even be able to pay rent there.
i deleted the rest of your post because it was long and rambling, and frankly, I don't care about your finanical situation.

so you can really say with 100% degree of certainty that my children will leave? how so very arrogant and presumptious of you. by that logic, NJ's population will be about....oh....ZERO in approximately 50 years.

i find it so funny that you hate NJ yet have no problem working for a company based out of here. you certainly have no issue with accepting money from your NJ boss.

i still don't understand why you even post here - is your job actually to get people to relocate to TN?
 
Old 08-05-2007, 08:46 PM
 
3,269 posts, read 8,377,825 times
Reputation: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
We did not purchase the $350,000 home in Sussex Cty. a "gazillion" years ago. Again, re-read the my previous posts, before you rebuttle.
How does any of this justify the huge property tax hikes in New Jersey?
My in-laws bought their home 40 years ago for $25,000 and now pay $11,000 in property taxes. Is that justifiable? So, you could say, well when they sell they'll make a bundle. But what if they don't want to sell?
Yes, taxes are part of life, but the way the government in New Jersey is handling things doesn't seem very honest. JMHO
It's unfortunate, because if you can afford it, doesn't mean your children will, hence my original post.

Can't you ever just give the numbers as they are TODAY? You always say the price the house was bought at and what the taxes are today. It's so misleading. What difference does it make if they paid $25k for the house? It's probably worth $700k or more now. $11k in taxes is nothing.

Oh and rebuttle isn't a word.
 
Old 08-05-2007, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,866 posts, read 7,972,617 times
Reputation: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Can't you ever just give the numbers as they are TODAY? You always say the price the house was bought at and what the taxes are today. It's so misleading. What difference does it make if they paid $25k for the house? It's probably worth $700k or more now. $11k in taxes is nothing.

Oh and rebuttle isn't a word.
11k is nothing? You have to be kidding. I doubt that 25k house is worth $700,000 or the taxes would be more. A $700,000 house in Manalapan is paying more like $20,000 a yr in taxes.
Lets see I have a 4200 sq ft house, all brick, cathederal and vaulted ceilings, Jacuzzi Tub, Walk in bedroom closet 10x12-mine, 6x8 husbands, 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths, Office-I'm a Travel agent for a East Brunswick agency, Media Room 30x30, walk in attic, Living Room, Dining room, Huge Center Island Kitchen , Family room with Fireplace,gas Built in 2004
I paid $430,000 for this and my taxes are $3500 a yr. It's in a Nashville Suburb. Husband has a 25 min comute to office, in NJ it took 55 min when he left at 5am in morning(was due in at 9am) It took 2 hours plus to return home(traffic) same salary here, no state income tax
 
Old 08-05-2007, 09:23 PM
 
6 posts, read 12,083 times
Reputation: 10
taxes were about $5200 this year on my house we have bin think about moving to pa or va but some of my family wants to stay in nj
 
Old 08-05-2007, 09:25 PM
 
6 posts, read 12,083 times
Reputation: 10
prices are so high you get a ****assg house for bout 350,000 to $500,000
 
Old 08-05-2007, 09:27 PM
 
6 posts, read 12,083 times
Reputation: 10
tahiti right njs taxes and crap will be so high no one can afford this bull**** brick nj taxes bout $5200. 5200 ****n dollars
 
Old 08-05-2007, 09:27 PM
 
3,269 posts, read 8,377,825 times
Reputation: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
11k is nothing? You have to be kidding. I doubt that 25k house is worth $700,000 or the taxes would be more. A $700,000 house in Manalapan is paying more like $20,000 a yr in taxes.
Lets see I have a 4200 sq ft house, all brick, cathederal and vaulted ceilings, Jacuzzi Tub, Walk in bedroom closet 10x12-mine, 6x8 husbands, 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths, Office-I'm a Travel agent for a East Brunswick agency, Media Room 30x30, walk in attic, Living Room, Dining room, Huge Center Island Kitchen , Family room with Fireplace,gas Built in 2004
I paid $430,000 for this and my taxes are $3500 a yr. It's in a Nashville Suburb. Husband has a 25 min comute to office, in NJ it took 55 min when he left at 5am in morning(was due in at 9am) It took 2 hours plus to return home(traffic) same salary here, no state income tax
No, I'm not kidding, I don't think 11k is that much. That is why I don't have to move to TN. I've been to where you live, it was great for a visit but really all that it has going for it is cheap houses, which is what you keep spouting. Who cares what size your house is. It's subdivision hell. All the houses are on 1/4 acre lots and there is absolutely zero character at all. And I mean none. I have never seen so many big houses right on top of each other. Look, life is about more than just saving money. I'll take my kids growing up with NJ smarts and pay that (gasp) 11k in taxes so my kids never have to say, "I'm from TN."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top