U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-23-2011, 10:10 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,942,832 times

Advertisements

Hello! Are there transfer stations or dumps in NJ where people can take their own residential, household trash? In PA you can do this and just pay fees directly when you drop, per bag or whatever. Is this possible here - specifically in Monmouth County. I've looked on the internet but can't find anything.

We make very little trash and our company is raising our rates every 3 months. Since it's becoming such a hardship for them I'd love to lighten their load! I haven't had luck shopping around because the other companies won't let you have just one pick up per week. We use a small can and rarely fill it and I would love to just do this myself. Thanks!

edited to add: Our recycling is picked up by the township.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 10:59 AM

220 posts, read 274,251 times
Sorry, I only know about the transfer station near Clinton (Hunterdon County). They'll weigh a car going in and out, but may have a minimum, I don't know. Sounds like you would have to stock up to make it cost effective though. (and I think it is only available to county residents ).

Old 05-23-2011, 01:30 PM

285 posts, read 438,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersied View Post
Sorry, I only know about the transfer station near Clinton (Hunterdon County). They'll weigh a car going in and out, but may have a minimum, I don't know. Sounds like you would have to stock up to make it cost effective though. (and I think it is only available to county residents ).
Indeed it is, and you can't dump household trash either-only bulk items, construction garbage, etc... It's been a godsend for us because we're doing all of our own renovation work and it's cheaper than renting a dumpster plus you don't have it sitting in your driveway taking up space. I seriously doubt there is any feasible way to opt out of trash pickup in Monmouth County, or any county in NJ for that matter.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:46 PM

1,376 posts, read 5,116,772 times
Take it into work with you and throw it away there

I did it for years

I decided ...knowing how some on here "react" to expand/explain.

I was ...on the road... a lot for a few years and generated very little trash/garbage.
I took the trash and directly tossed it into the companies dumpster...not into the office space and office trash cans.
The facilities manager knew what and why I was doing that and had no problem with me adding one small bag of trash to the huge dumpster they already had service on. For me it also made no sense to place one bag of trash in the curb pick-up container and yet pay the full service price.

BTW
I'm in pay/contract you own trash pick up type area. Several neighbors pool their resources and hire/rent one container,split the costs

Last edited by JBrown; 05-23-2011 at 04:00 PM..

Old 05-24-2011, 01:28 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,942,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Take it into work with you and throw it away there

I did it for years

I decided ...knowing how some on here "react" to expand/explain.

I was ...on the road... a lot for a few years and generated very little trash/garbage.
I took the trash and directly tossed it into the companies dumpster...not into the office space and office trash cans.
The facilities manager knew what and why I was doing that and had no problem with me adding one small bag of trash to the huge dumpster they already had service on. For me it also made no sense to place one bag of trash in the curb pick-up container and yet pay the full service price.

BTW
I'm in pay/contract you own trash pick up type area. Several neighbors pool their resources and hire/rent one container,split the costs
I work from home. lol. I'm a stay at home Mom. I'm picturing my husband bringing a bag of dirty diapers on the bus into the city. lol.

We have a house in PA and when we start going there more regularly I really might start just bringing it up there with me. We have a hitch on the car so I would just need a little cart to put the can on. A lot of it is the money (we pay for trash as part of our dues on the PA house) and part of it is the principle. It's too expensive here. It would be good to split with a neighbor but I don't know of one who'd be into it. People seem to create a lot more garbage than we do.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:20 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,230,311 times
I know there's one in Gloucester County somewhere (southeaster around Franklinville TWP) but I don't remember the name, I just remember dumping construction materials from our many seemingly never-ending home improvement projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey