Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,050 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone, I think I am going to stay away from Sparta, is vernon snobbish? Are there any surrounding towns that accept diversity without the snarling stares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 06:46 AM

2 posts, read 1,151 times
Default Lake Mohawk

I grew up in Lake Mohawk as well as a 63 year old retired hs psych teacher and grandmother- I regret not loving and appreciating it more. We had CC and church dances , the junior room, cruiser club pool, ice skating, ski club , the hole , the jug, movie theater, bowlin, hanging out on the boardwalk, softball games, golf , swimming , hiking , xcountry skiing on the golf course you name it. 75 percent of the population was under 18. All I did was complain about the snobs, skipped too much school to avoid them and made my spoiled brat self miserable! We also had a safe bus to take to NYC from downtown. My mom was a stay at home mom and my dad a teacher so we weren't money people. In hindsight i miss lake mohwak and those days. I wish my children and grandchildren could have had the childhoodI did. If its anything like it was move there give it a chance. I wish I had! Get your kids involed in church, the arts and sports. I haven't been back because my family retired to flor-i-duh!👎

Old 05-26-2016, 07:24 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,599,180 times
Default All I did was complain about the snobs

I've been to Lake Mohawk area about 20 times or so. I don't get this thing about a bunch of snobs living there. I looked at the listings on the wall at the boardwalk for waterfront homes, they start around 200ish. It's an OK run of the mill place. It's not Saddle River or Alpine or Spring Lake.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,151 times
Sparta / Lake Mohawk or anywhere in Sussex County is beautiful and most areas have great schools. I grew up on Alpine Trail in Lake Mohawk . It is a wonderful place for kids to grow up. Lots to do and a sense of small town community. Snobs and jerks are everywhere today! Give your kids a good firm spiritual foundation and pray - thats what I did and my kids turned out great despite being brought up in Flor-i-duh! We all escaped there for northeast Georgia which is so much like Sussex County.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:19 PM

191 posts, read 392,576 times
Sparta isn't a bad town, nice and neat w.a.s.p.y area .My wife grew up there and I work in that area.To be honest, it is known as a wealthy area for Sussex County, the taxes are very high, but honestly I don't see anything special about the area personally and not a lot to offer for what people pay to live there.The high taxes pay for the over zealous Sparta police that seem to outnumber the amount of residents, and don't have the greatest reputation, the town really has nothing for teens to do, to the point where a lot sparta kids were getting into heroin, which the town has had big problems with.The other issue is there aren't many places to shop or eat locally, and what is there is very expensive.I'd say keep looking a little further in Sussex County, get a better bang for your buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey