Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 10:21 AM

40 posts, read 67,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpail View Post
does anyone have the name/e-mail address of the individuals in charge of the home owners association? thank you.
I contacted Association Advisors at its office in Freehold, NJ by phone and several emails. First they told me the names of office-bearers are confidential and cannot be disclosed. Only way to know the names are to attend the annual general meeting (I missed Jan 2013 meeting due to stormy whether). Then they informed me that they will forward the list by email, but nothing has hapened. There are two gentlemen selected as office beaers from our complex. Someone published the names in this forum before (could not locate it now).

Isn't the property management company supposed to inform us about office-beaerers? Only document we receive is their annual projected budget statement for the management of Summerfields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 03:52 PM

6 posts, read 10,750 times
Hi guys, this is Bij. We're planning to buy either the Atlantic (468k) or Bergen (498k+10k Lot) and wanted to know your advice. I've read through this forum quite a bit, the prices they are offering with no negotiation whatsoever are gut wrenching...

If we decided for either/or, what type of upgrades would be advisable - basically am looking for wooden floor in family room + recess lighting (not sure how to map this out)...

If Yogesh is reading this, can you please shoot me an email at chalaq@gmail.com as I would truly appreciate talking to you.

Thanks,
Bij

Old 10-22-2013, 05:32 PM

283 posts, read 667,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalaq View Post
Hi guys, this is Bij. We're planning to buy either the Atlantic (468k) or Bergen (498k+10k Lot) and wanted to know your advice. I've read through this forum quite a bit, the prices they are offering with no negotiation whatsoever are gut wrenching...

If we decided for either/or, what type of upgrades would be advisable - basically am looking for wooden floor in family room + recess lighting (not sure how to map this out)...

If Yogesh is reading this, can you please shoot me an email at chalaq@gmail.com as I would truly appreciate talking to you.

Thanks,
Bij
Bij:

Thanks. My email is yupadhyaya2003@yahoo.com.

-Any new home builder will not negotiate on prices, as others would ask for the same reduced price.

-You can buy either 3-bedroom Atlantic (2,300 sq. ft.) or 4-bedroom Bergen (2,655 sq. ft.), depending upon your choice and affordability. Some of the 3-bedroom owners wished they had purchased a room extra. Again, it is individual's choice.

-The choice of wooden floor, carpet or tiles in family room is also depends upon individual taste. Wooden floor looks great, but carpet feels warmer during winter.

-Builder's office will offer you various choices and upgrades along with the price list. Something which does not require breaking walls and floors later (such as garage openers, sink garbage disposer, etc.) can be done by you if you think you can save some money. Kitchen island can be done through builder to match marble/granite color of kitchen countertops. granite is preferred over marble offered, since it looks great and does not discolor or get cuts. Most important is to upgrade the electrical panel from 150Ampere to 200A, so that you do not need power shutdown later and can add more electrical appliances in home.

-One thing we regret is not getting garage walls insulated ($3,400 for 2 walls at that time). The garage remains somewhat hot during summer and cold during winter and we feel it in bedroom upstairs. People who have done garage insulation feel more comfortable.

-You can write to me and we can discuss more.

Yogesh Upadhyaya
-

Old 10-22-2013, 05:38 PM

283 posts, read 667,099 times
Bij:

Forgot about recessed lighting. The contractor (D & C Electricals) will tell you how many bulbs required per room depending upon room size and illumination needed. It is standard, typically 4-6 bulbs per room. The cost is around $160-200 per point, depending upon 60w or 75w bulbs.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:39 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogesh Upadhyaya View Post
Bij:

Forgot about recessed lighting. The contractor (D & C Electricals) will tell you how many bulbs required per room depending upon room size and illumination needed. It is standard, typically 4-6 bulbs per room. The cost is around $160-200 per point, depending upon 60w or 75w bulbs.
The recessed lighting is an option, I'm guessing?

It was in our new construction, and the builder was asking $225 per! So we waited about a year after moving in to have them installed (used our own electrician).

It gave us some time to figure out where we wanted the lights based on having re-arranged furniture/wall art several times.

We have some in the kitchen that are adjustable (so two shine on the desk area/cabinets on one wall & another adjustable shines on the stove) as well as the family room and upstairs hall that light up artwork/pictures, etc.

We bought the cans/trim ourselves and the electrician charged us $50 per fixture to install. Came to about $100-$125 per light (not including light bulbs).

Just something to consider!

Old 10-22-2013, 08:09 PM

9 posts, read 16,649 times
I am looking child care for 1 year old, any suggestions ?

Old 10-23-2013, 03:15 PM

Yogesh / sawdustmaker:

Guys, I truly appreciate the feedback.
My wife and I are more and more inclined to buy the townhome due to the pricing and affordability, more bang for the buck so to speak.

Interior Unit is 348k w/ (22k worth of upgrades). Exterior is 375k (w/ 22k worth of free upgrades). 78 HOA fee.

This sounds more comfortable for us then overspending on 510k for Bergen model w/ 11,600 tax. (2.26 rate). We have no kids..do plan on having them, can flip this in 5 yrs and move into a single family home (I know, sounds too easy, but very hard to do).

At the moment, 510k on a Bergen is ridiculously expensive for us. 498k + 10k premium lot. Just not worth it...especially when you guys probably bought yours at 437k, that's 60k difference, urgh, gut wrenching...

In any case, I need to take advantage of this pre-construction pricing, more bang for buck I suppose.

Any thoughts...

Old 10-23-2013, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,769 times
Hi, everyone. I just found this site - lots of great information! I am very curious as to whether any of you experience water leak/wet in the basement?

Old 10-24-2013, 10:01 AM

19 posts, read 40,999 times
chalaq,

The townhomes at Summerfields seem a good deal.
We were seriously considering buying one of the exterior units in July this year.

If you don't have kids right now, buying a single family doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

If you are going to be a first time homeowner, townhome seems a better idea, you don't have to bother a lot about the maintenance, upkeep of the yard etc. The maintenance fee is pretty low at Summerfields and I liked the fact that the gym, clubhouse, pool etc will be built closer to the townhomes.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:20 AM

antztein,

My resistance to buying in Summerfields, Somerset now is basically boiling down to the school system as its rated very poorly. We plan have kids soon, there's a lot of uncertainty and great level of gambling involved in stating that 600 new residents (all professionals I agree), can drive up the school system by 5 - 10 yrs.

Why would a 50yr old house in Edison cost 500k, which looks like a dump to say the least be costing that much as oppose to these 500k brand new homes. Sounds a little too good to be true right...and when that happens, it never really is too good to be true. This is the predicament I'm in as I've never bothered to look at Somerset for this reason and this reason only, despite not having kids.

My choices were always Edison, Colonia, Clark, Scotch Plains but, again, this is where I get stuck with the 50yr old dumps at 500k

Tough choices ahead for us...sleepless nights continue.

- Bij
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey