Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 07:41 AM

15 posts, read 24,755 times

Advertisements

Thank you Yogesh for you input.

What other must do upgrades would you recommend having done with the builder?

-Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 12:53 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,603,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest2014 View Post
Thank you Yogesh for you input.

What other must do upgrades would you recommend having done with the builder?

-Regards
Having built 3 houses I would recommend you doing anything structural first, in this I mean adding a fireplace, bay window, extensions to the house.

Also it being NJ and the weather being really nice during the summer I would get the ceiling fan mounts, ceiling fans are exceptionally low on energy usage and cool a room about 4 degrees lower than without, maybe allowing you to avoid running the air conditioner. I would also get a whole house fan addition if available which allows you to open the windows at night then run the fan. This will change the house temp to the outside temp in about 10 minutes.

For insulating the garage you need to insulate the garage and get insulated garage doors, the tin can type doors are worthless and they break really easy.

As far not getting things like the garbage disposal, you can get a much better disposal later but the plumping and electric for it will cost more than not getting it down now. As far as appliances there are plenty of websites for reviews on these.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:06 AM

44 posts, read 113,539 times
Has anyone else had issues with the pathway connecting the driveway to front door? The surface of ours has crumbled and doesn't look too nice. It's been a rough winter but normal shoveling shouldn't cause it. It has also sank almost 2" which can be measured by the height of the driveway which it had been even with a few months ago.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:57 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,603,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest20 View Post
Has anyone else had issues with the pathway connecting the driveway to front door? The surface of ours has crumbled and doesn't look too nice. It's been a rough winter but normal shoveling shouldn't cause it. It has also sank almost 2" which can be measured by the height of the driveway which it had been even with a few months ago.
They didn't use enough gravel under the pour for the concrete, if you break the concrete up you'll find there is dirt there and no compacted gravel underneath it. When the dirt settled your pathway fell in.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:47 PM

44 posts, read 113,539 times
Wow, that really sucks.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:36 AM

283 posts, read 666,943 times
Property tax increase for Summerfield residents

1) I received a postcard-Notice of Property Assessment for 2014 from Franklin Township Assessor. My home was assessed in 2013 at $435k and with tax billed for $9,800. Now the 2014 is assessed for $485k, This is due to$50k increase in land value assessment (from $85k to $135k). This will have an increase of about $1,000 (10% increase in a year, more if the tax rate also goes up) in property tax this year! Assessment was increased on land without any specific warning and was not noticed until someone informed to me.

The entire SummerfieldCommunity is being targeted with the property tax increase and this is being noticed by almost all residents.

2) When we purchased the home at Summerfields in 2012, we assumed that property tax will go up by 2% or at the most 3-4% per year like other municipalities in NJ. With 10-12% rate increase in a single year, .At that rate, our property tax will go up to $15k/yr in next few years,

3) It is high time prospective buyers realise that the total property taxes can go up by 10-12% /yr in Franklin township (although official % tax rate is stated as 2.1% or somethinglike that, which also goes up each year).

Yogesh Upadhyaya

Last edited by Yogesh Upadhyaya; 03-07-2014 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: typo-fix

Old 03-07-2014, 11:52 AM

90 posts, read 152,911 times
Yogesh - I agree that this increase came out of no where but I'm guessing there's a few factors involved. They increased your land assessment by $50,000 from 2013 - 2014. It's quite possible that the 2013 assessment didn't take into account that there was a house on the property for part or all of 2013.

Additionally, if you were to list your home for sale today, would you list it for $435,000 or $485,000+? Assuming that you pick $485,000+, which amount do you believe that you should be paying property taxes on, $435,000 or $485,000?

I do not want to sound like a pessimist because I am also experiencing a similar increase for 2014 but it is my belief that they are attempting to tax us on our true assessed value and not our purchase price. Hopefully 2015 property taxes are similar to that of 2014 and we do not again experience a 10%-12% increase because if we do then there is a serious problem. I just personally don't think it's time to panic just yet.

Many of our neighbors in our community are also expressing similar concerns and want to jointly submit paperwork to the township. Since this board is anonymous and I don't wish to provide anyone's personal information, I'm sure that you can ask around and get in touch with those individuals.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpail View Post
Yogesh - I agree that this increase came out of no where but I'm guessing there's a few factors involved. They increased your land assessment by $50,000 from 2013 - 2014. It's quite possible that the 2013 assessment didn't take into account that there was a house on the property for part or all of 2013.

Additionally, if you were to list your home for sale today, would you list it for $435,000 or $485,000+? Assuming that you pick $485,000+, which amount do you believe that you should be paying property taxes on, $435,000 or $485,000?

I do not want to sound like a pessimist because I am also experiencing a similar increase for 2014 but it is my belief that they are attempting to tax us on our true assessed value and not our purchase price. Hopefully 2015 property taxes are similar to that of 2014 and we do not again experience a 10%-12% increase because if we do then there is a serious problem. I just personally don't think it's time to panic just yet.

Many of our neighbors in our community are also expressing similar concerns and want to jointly submit paperwork to the township. Since this board is anonymous and I don't wish to provide anyone's personal information, I'm sure that you can ask around and get in touch with those individuals.
Snow Pail:

Thanks. The question is different. All the Summerfields residents have received $50k increase in their land assessment, which will increase properties tax each year by at least $1,000. Only Summerfields residents are targeted as no other community in the franklin Township has been targeted with 10-12% increase in the total properties tax.

Franklin is one of the few towns in NJ which increases the home assessment value based on the market value. Suppose someone buys a home with $500K value and currently pays $10k as properties tax, and after few years, the similar new homes are selling at $800k, he will be then taxed at $16-18k/yr, and who has that much money to spare?

About your point, when we bought the home, the land had already home on it. How suddenly the price of land increase so much in a year, unless oil and gas reserves are found in our backyard? NJ law passed by Chris Christie requires town to cap their properties tax at 2% increase each other (some exceptions for 3-4% increase are permitted in special cases). 10-12% increase is unheard of anywhere.

More than half of current homeowners are in discussion with Franklin Town tax assessor and Somerset County tax board member. It is learnt that Franklin Town assessor is "free" to decide any home assessed value based on market conditions as he feels OK. The truth is that some of the nearby homes on Schoolhouse Road and Metlars Lane have seven times our std. home plot of 0.16 acre and still the land price accessed in less.

Any reduction in properties tax will be benefitted to all members and all should participate in this issue.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:38 PM

90 posts, read 152,911 times
Another point I'd like to bring up is that isn't it possible that you underpaid taxes for 2013?

I paid approx. $9,500 in property taxes for 2013. At an assumed 2.2% tax rate it means that the township assessed my home in 2013 at $431,818.20 which is certainly below what I paid and also below what I assume the assessed value should be.

It's possible that the township is getting us up to where we should be for 2014 and will not increase us by $1k/year going foward?

If you want to figure out what the township assessed your home at for 2013, divide the property taxes paid by .022.

I am all for paying lower taxes, I just want everyone to consider these scenarios as well.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpail View Post
Another point I'd like to bring up is that isn't it possible that you underpaid taxes for 2013?

I paid approx. $9,500 in property taxes for 2013. At an assumed 2.2% tax rate it means that the township assessed my home in 2013 at $431,818.20 which is certainly below what I paid and also below what I assume the assessed value should be.

It's possible that the township is getting us up to where we should be for 2014 and will not increase us by $1k/year going foward?

If you want to figure out what the township assessed your home at for 2013, divide the property taxes paid by .022.

I am all for paying lower taxes, I just want everyone to consider these scenarios as well.
Snowpail:

The issue is different. If by chance our property tax was lower for a year, it does not justify the rate increase year after year. There is no guarantee that the assessment value will not increase in future. No explanation is coming forward why the land price was increased by $50k and why only Summerfields residents are targeted with such increase, after they moved in

When a smiling couple enters builder's office to book a home, it is both happy and apprehensive. One, whether it will be able to pay the total cost of home (including down payment, monthly mortgage, insurance, maintenance, etc.). Two, whether it will be able to pay property taxes, service charges and fees for the rest of the life. Then it makes assumption that "never mind, I can manage for 2-3% increase per yr in taxes and fees." The problem comes when the increase is very high and unpredictable.

Apart from property taxes of about $10k/yr, we also pay for $250/yr on municipal sewerage charges, $200/yr for private garbage disposal and $400/yr property management fees. The current property management fees ($32/month for single family homes and $77/month for townhomes) are ridiculously low, to begin with. In next few years, it will be common to see $100/month for single family homes and $200-250/month for townhomes.

Most of the Summerfields residents are working middle class families, with fixed income. Some are retired or would be retired in near future. They cannot bear the burden of unjustified tax increase each year. As we know, increase in property taxes will lower the resell value of the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey