Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:43 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post

Is this new construction tasteful, or uber-modern?
http://cehs.montclair.edu/flash/cehs/homepage/01_university_hall.jpg (broken link)

That is the style they are using on all the new buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 06:01 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post

That is the style they are using on all the new buildings.
I don't see how that fits for Montclair , looks Western in design.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:50 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
That's not modern at all. As Nexis4Jersey suggests, it's Western -- California Mission, in fact.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:04 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
That's not modern at all. As Nexis4Jersey suggests, it's Western -- California Mission, in fact.
Right. Which is what the original bldgs (College Hall) looked like. Some of the "modern" bldgs by the quad were just cement & glass blocks.

I remember locking my keys in my car waaay out by where they eventually built the Yogi Berra stadium. Before I could flag down a rent-a-cop (pre cell phones) some mook comes by and pulls out a slim-jim "need me to pop that for ya?" Haha - i told him no thanks.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:07 PM

334 posts, read 731,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
All the buildings constructed after 1995 were re-done to look llike College Hall. I believe they actually referred to the style as Spanish Mission. I began there in 1992 and finally left for good in 2009 after being there as an undergrad, grad, post-grad and professional. I am one of the biggest MSU homers around and I love the campus, but I don't think I 'd go there if I had to make that decision now at 18. Part of the allure for me back then was that it was a nice suburban campus with lots of trees and greenery. I grew up as a kid amongst lots of concrete and asphalt, so this appealed to me. All that greenery is just about gone from the campus. I believe I would probably be more attracted to Ramapo now.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:10 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Hate View Post
All the buildings constructed after 1995 were re-done to look llike College Hall. I believe they actually referred to the style as Spanish Mission. I began there in 1992 and finally left for good in 2009 after being there as an undergrad, grad, post-grad and professional. I am one of the biggest MSU homers around and I love the campus, but I don't think I 'd go there if I had to make that decision now at 18. Part of the allure for me back then was that it was a nice suburban campus with lots of trees and greenery. I grew up as a kid amongst lots of concrete and asphalt, so this appealed to me. All that greenery is just about gone from the campus. I believe I would probably be more attracted to Ramapo now.
I finished when you started and the campus was being torn up even back then. It's been an ongoing process. It went from Montclair State College to "Montclair State" to MSU.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:21 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Hate View Post
Bingo. I graduated in 1995. They started a massive building boom around my second year there and they haven't stopped since. The "new" buliding during my time there was Dickson Hall, which was state-of-the-art when they opened it (1993 I think). Now, the jewel in the crown is University Hall. I was on campus for a workshop about eight months ago, and it is truly a magnificent (and huge) building. It blows Dickson out of the water by a landslide.

The problem is, the campus is too small for the size and amount of buildings they now have, so the campus seems very congested. And the first thing to go when constructing a new building is a parking lot, taking away valuable spaces from an already nightmarish situation. (The Red Hawk Parking Deck, BTW, is horrific, dangerous, and overpiced.) Dickson Hall used to be a student parking lot (I used to love parking there my first year, right in the middle of campus). Now, you have to park in that death trap of a parking deck or a million miles away in the Quarry or Clove Road.

My time there was OK. I enjoyed my first two years, but it went down hill from there. It is a good school, but some departments are a lot better than others.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:56 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Bingo. I graduated in 1995. They started a massive building boom around my second year there and they haven't stopped since. The "new" buliding during my time there was Dickson Hall, which was state-of-the-art when they opened it (1993 I think). Now, the jewel in the crown is University Hall. I was on campus for a workshop about eight months ago, and it is truly a magnificent (and huge) building. It blows Dickson out of the water by a landslide.

The problem is, the campus is too small for the size and amount of buildings they now have, so the campus seems very congested. And the first thing to go when constructing a new building is a parking lot, taking away valuable spaces from an already nightmarish situation. (The Red Hawk Parking Deck, BTW, is horrific, dangerous, and overpiced.) Dickson Hall used to be a student parking lot (I used to love parking there my first year, right in the middle of campus). Now, you have to park in that death trap of a parking deck or a million miles away in the Quarry or Clove Road.
They fixed the parking situation. There is a free 7 story parking garage now. 2-3 minute walk from parking garage to the student center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: