Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:24 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecountymove View Post
We went to a few open houses this weekend & really liked Ringwood. The taxes do seem high, but coming from the Philly area anything over $4,000 seems high! It will be tops on our list of NJ areas.

We plan on looking into Midland Park & Fair Lawn, but wow it will be hard to top the beauty of Ringwood.

Thanks icibiu for your input. As we get closer to looking seriously I may get in touch for more info on Ringwood.
midland park and fair lawn = much easier commutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 09:42 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
midland park and fair lawn = much easier commutes.
It takes me 15 minutes to get to Ramsey, not quite sure what is difficult about that.

Plus as Orangecountymove noted it's difficult to top the beauty of Ringwood; sure Midland Park and Fair Lawn are decent towns but I doubt anything in either town is going to make you reach for your camera so you can take a postcard worthy shot.

Lastly life is not all about commuting, on the weekends people wake up early, pack up the car and drive for miles to enjoy the kinds of activities I have just outside my doorstep!

Orangecounty--Glad you enjoyed the trip up to Ringwood I agree it's hard to beat the beauty, which is why this city girl moved up there in the first place! My first time there I turned down Erskine Road and saw kids jumping off the dock, people canoeing and in the background the beatiful mountains and my heart melted! If you can try to hold out for a home with walkable access to one of the beaches. I'd suggest Cupsaw or Erskine so you have faster access to Rt17 for your commute.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:46 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
It takes me 15 minutes to get to Ramsey, not quite sure what is difficult about that.

Plus as Orangecountymove noted it's difficult to top the beauty of Ringwood; sure Midland Park and Fair Lawn are decent towns but I doubt anything in either town is going to make you reach for your camera so you can take a postcard worthy shot.

Lastly life is not all about commuting, on the weekends people wake up early, pack up the car and drive for miles to enjoy the kinds of activities I have just outside my doorstep!

Orangecounty--Glad you enjoyed the trip up to Ringwood I agree it's hard to beat the beauty, which is why this city girl moved up there in the first place! My first time there I turned down Erskine Road and saw kids jumping off the dock, people canoeing and in the background the beatiful mountains and my heart melted! If you can try to hold out for a home with walkable access to one of the beaches. I'd suggest Cupsaw or Erskine so you have faster access to Rt17 for your commute.
This made me laugh--my sister lives in Fair Lawn and is taking a photography class with her new camera. She sent over some beautiful photos that look as though they might have been taken out in the country. She wrote, "Can you believe I took these photos in FAIR LAWN???" Of course, you can't see what's beyond the edges of the photo!

I agree, Ringwood is still nice and not overbuilt yet.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:30 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
midland park and waldwick, wyckoff maybe even

ringwood could be tough in the winter... you will have to drive around skyline drive to get to 202 sometimes?

you might even find something in ramsey?> or mahwah

Now good luck figuring out how these towns are all surprisingly different!

Old 06-08-2011, 01:05 PM

8 posts, read 29,455 times
We really can't stop thinking about Ringwood, it's just like no place I've ever been.

Yes a definite consideration is the winter driving joe moving. The neighborhoods around the lakes are really hilly, but when it snows I'm too chicken to drive anywhere & my husbands work was really good this past year when we had a TON of snow to either have a delay or close the office.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:13 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
its more than that - they close skyline drive... maybe icibiu can comment.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:42 PM

Oh, that would be a problem. Definitely would like any info. on that if icibiu could comment. We are looking at a place on Fri. & will ask the realtor too. Thanks joe moving.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:23 PM

Went to see a house in Ringwood today & then drove by about 10 other homes that are listed to get a better feel for what we can buy in our price range. Wow, some really tiny homes! Cute, but tiny. We are a family of 5, we are confessed pack rats so we need storage and I need studio space for an at home business. Bottom line nothing we saw today would fit even half our stuff nor provide a space for me to work. I don't need anything fancy just a basement, but most homes were splits with no unfinished basement space.

We will keep our eyes open, but I have to say NY is looking better again.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:17 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Not to scare you too much, but they just had a report on WABC news this morning that upper Ringwood (not sure exactly where, but the guy they were interviewing looked like a Jackson white) is close to a Superfund site and the govt. is telling residents in that area to have their kids tested for lead.

Chemical contamination worries in Upper Ringwood, New Jersey | 7online.com

Old 06-11-2011, 06:02 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Not to scare you too much, but they just had a report on WABC news this morning that upper Ringwood (not sure exactly where, but the guy they were interviewing looked like a Jackson white) is close to a Superfund site and the govt. is telling residents in that area to have their kids tested for lead.

Chemical contamination worries in Upper Ringwood, New Jersey | 7online.com

You want to stay away from those points. That area is Jackson White territory, so i doubt the OP would buy there regardless.

Personally, I would not make too big of an issue out of this. They have done a lot of clean up over the years, and I am sure that they will do more after the recent reports
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey