Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 10:38 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,304,400 times

Advertisements

MOUNTAIN LIONS IN NEW JERSEY Details at the below link.
http://www.americans-working-togethe...rsey/id20.html

My son was hiking in the northwest corner of New Jersey in a rocky area near High Point Mountain and saw a mountain lion. He went back to the area with his friend, Bill and they found the mountain lion in a rocky den. It was NOT a Bobcat. The below article comes from the same area of New Jersey. I placed some maps on the webpage.
Mountain Lion males grow to 150 pounds. That is a pretty, big cat... It's a dangerous situation for humans and the animals.
Jack Cunningham
VIETNAM WAR CAP MARINE
Sussex, NJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 09:30 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,017,427 times
I think it's more dangerous for the mountain lion than the humans. Tell your son to stay away from rocky dens! We have to respect the animals' right to exist in what wilderness is left in NJ, or eventually the only animals left will be, at best, squirrels.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:40 PM

32,603 posts, read 77,247,404 times
It's nice to see that there is still wildlife left in NJ. For the record, when I drove out to Hopatcong last week, I saw two deer in the woods near the Delaware River in the Knowlton Township area of Warren County---There are still some very beautiful parts of NJ left! ;o) I just hope you people wake up and start demanding that this open space is preserved instead of sitting back and watching housing developer after housing developer destroy the countryside.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:43 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,017,427 times
I ***LOVE*** Warren County.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:48 PM

As do I. That's the problem---It's one of the last "rural" parts of NJ. You need to get yourselves together collectively, as taxpayers, and propose a referendum in which the taxpaying public would purchase large tracts of wilderness in Warren County and designate it as either Conservation zoning or for public use. It would be a shame to see those two deer replaced with a McMansion! They've been doing it in parts of the Poconos, and I'm starting a push to get the same done here in the Scranton area as well. As we continue to spread ourselves out, we're ruining the exact same countryside that we wanted to be near in the first place. Perhaps it's time to going back to living in the cities and enjoying nature on the weekends? ;o)

Old 08-31-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
It's nice to see that there is still wildlife left in NJ. For the record, when I drove out to Hopatcong last week, I saw two deer in the woods near the Delaware River in the Knowlton Township area of Warren County---There are still some very beautiful parts of NJ left! ;o) I just hope you people wake up and start demanding that this open space is preserved instead of sitting back and watching housing developer after housing developer destroy the countryside.
Believe it or not, you are part of the you-people group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I think it's more dangerous for the mountain lion than the humans. Tell your son to stay away from rocky dens! We have to respect the animals' right to exist in what wilderness is left in NJ, or eventually the only animals left will be, at best, squirrels.
It's a state park. He legally hikes and fishes the area. Walking around does not endanger the animals as far as I know. Next time, he might even take a camera as his weapon. God Forbide...

Quote:
Deer are all over Sussex County.

Last edited by Yac; 09-01-2006 at 01:15 PM..

Old 08-31-2006, 10:01 PM

Actually, I have a legitimate right to be in the "you-people" group, as I DO act to make an effort to get people to preserve open space in our area. I try to steer people towards living in-town whenever possible so that our countryside in PA remains beautiful and unspoiled for years to come. I do "live in the 'burbs", but that choice was made when I was age nine---Too young to argue with my parents about the consequences that a newer housing development would have on surrounding wildlife. I plan on moving into the heart of Scranton in a few years when I can afford it, so then I won't be a hypocrite---Living in the suburbs while bashing them at the same time. ;o)

Old 08-31-2006, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Deer are all over Sussex County.
Great! Now, what does everyone have planned to make sure that your children and grandchildren can likewise see deer, mountain lion, and other critters in Sussex and Warren Counties as well? Monroe County, PA boomed from quiet vacation hamlet to crowded bedroom community seemingly overnight, and the same could happen in NW NJ as well if people don't start demanding that their local governments make efforts to keep what has happened to NE NJ and the Poconos AWAY from Warren and Sussex Counties! When you commute to work everyday and see at least one dead deer carcass on each of those days, that's when you know there's a problem---We're spreading ourselves out so much that the wildlife has nowhere to run!
I'm not trying to "preach", but it's better for "you people" in NJ to start acting NOW to save your countryside before you fall into the same trap Monroe County did---Not knowing any better until it was too late!

Old 08-31-2006, 10:11 PM

Quote:
As do I. That's the problem---It's one of the last "rural" parts of NJ. You need to get yourselves together collectively, as taxpayers, and propose a referendum in which the taxpaying public would purchase large tracts of wilderness in Warren County and designate it as either Conservation zoning or for public use. It would be a shame to see those two deer replaced with a McMansion! They've been doing it in parts of the Poconos, and I'm starting a push to get the same done here in the Scranton area as well. As we continue to spread ourselves out, we're ruining the exact same countryside that we wanted to be near in the first place. Perhaps it's time to going back to living in the cities and enjoying nature on the weekends? ;o)
Sadly, politicians listen to the people with the money. They have more money to donate to political campaigns. Personally, I hate seeing the former cornfields with rows of houses in them.

I try to do what I can on the internet by educating people. Check this disgrace out at: http://www.americans-working-togethe...rsey/id12.html

Old 08-31-2006, 10:22 PM

That sickens me; It truly does! If nothing else, why couldn't Vernon just hold off on its project for a couple of years until archaeologists had time to sift through the site and make sure all historic artifacts were removed? Heck, the town probably could have advertised the ancient site as being a tourist point of interest, helping out surrounding stores and restaurants as people with historical interest in NJ, NY, and PA, flooded to watch archaeologists do their work (We did that at Jamestown, VA, and it was actually pretty exciting to see what was being unearthed!) Then again, I'm sure there would be a snowball effect of people wanting to live near the Native American site---I could see "Ancient Indian Burying Ground Acres" springing up adjacent to it. Sigh! At times I don't think there's any way to win this war! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey