Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 07:57 AM

273 posts, read 957,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Not a lot of Mozzarella (or American!) on most of these..., but they sure are creative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 08:02 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
The best pizza I ever had was in Italy. We were driving and stopped in some tiny town. We thought the town was abandoned because we literally didn't see one person. Then we found a pizza place that was open. It was very thin and you actually bought it by weight. I wish I could remember exactly where we got it or what exactly it was called.

Edit: It wasn't round. It was in big sheets.

Last edited by manderly6; 06-03-2011 at 08:16 AM..

Old 06-03-2011, 08:09 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
While in Assisi Italy touring The Basilica of Saint Francis, we stopped for lunch in the town. The place was on a little side street next to a house where a lady was selling jars of olive oil. The pizza looked a lot like this:

As for American cheese on pizza, the only time I have ever seen it around here is on a specialty pizza like a cheesesteak or cheeseburger one. The burger ones usually use cheddar, but the cheesesteak ones are almost always American.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:46 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
While in Assisi Italy touring The Basilica of Saint Francis, we stopped for lunch in the town. The place was on a little side street next to a house where a lady was selling jars of olive oil. The pizza looked a lot like this:

As for American cheese on pizza, the only time I have ever seen it around here is on a specialty pizza like a cheesesteak or cheeseburger one. The burger ones usually use cheddar, but the cheesesteak ones are almost always American.
looks really good

Old 06-03-2011, 10:04 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Welcome to our new NEPA members!
Thanks Tahiti, i live in NEPA, but i used to live in Whippany, went to Whippany Park High.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:30 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,272 times
Italy has nothing on the West Village NYC!!! I'll put Bleecker Street Pizza up against any of the pizza I had in Rome, Naples, Florence, Venice or anywhere else in the world(including anywhere in Jersey). The Nona Marie and Grandma are insane. John's, Grimaldi's and Patsy's are for tourists. If you find yourself in NYC it's a "must try"

Old 06-03-2011, 10:39 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The best pizza I ever had was in Italy. We were driving and stopped in some tiny town. We thought the town was abandoned because we literally didn't see one person. Then we found a pizza place that was open. It was very thin and you actually bought it by weight. I wish I could remember exactly where we got it or what exactly it was called.

Edit: It wasn't round. It was in big sheets.
yeah, it's like that in most of italy. you buy it by the gram. it's square, and usually display on a pizza tray (hence, why some people in the italian parts of PA order a "tray of pizza" when the want the entire pizza). the Old Forge style pizza in PA is square as well, but a bit thicker than what you described, since most people are from southern italy and brought over the more sicilian style pizza. The problem a lot of folks from NJ and NYC have with it is that it's a blend of a couple cheeses typically. Maybe the OP had some joint that only uses american cheese. it's possible. but i've never had it like that.

it's not ny pizza, and it's not exactly italy pizza. it's much close to italy than ny style though. so i always find it funny when new yorkers despise it so much.

but hey...we can all just go to Famiglia for a slice with Palin.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Italy has nothing on the West Village NYC!!! I'll put Bleecker Street Pizza up against any of the pizza I had in Rome, Naples, Florence, Venice or anywhere else in the world(including anywhere in Jersey). The Nona Marie and Grandma are insane. John's, Grimaldi's and Patsy's are for tourists. If you find yourself in NYC it's a "must try"
The original Grimaldi's is really good, and so is John's. Bleeker in general has a lot of great pizza though, you're right. Nothing will ever compare to the pizza I've had in Naples and further south. The cheese in Italy is 100x better than the cheese we get here. Sauce...well, that's just a regional thing, so it differs slightly all over. Rome's pizza was ok. Florence...not really known for the pizza. Venice food is not that great...northern italy in general is very influenced by german and swiss cuisine...not my cup of tea personally.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:50 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
yeah, it's like that in most of italy. you buy it by the gram. it's square, and usually display on a pizza tray (hence, why some people in the italian parts of PA order a "tray of pizza" when the want the entire pizza). the Old Forge style pizza in PA is square as well, but a bit thicker than what you described, since most people are from southern italy and brought over the more sicilian style pizza. The problem a lot of folks from NJ and NYC have with it is that it's a blend of a couple cheeses typically. Maybe the OP had some joint that only uses american cheese. it's possible. but i've never had it like that.

it's not ny pizza, and it's not exactly italy pizza. it's much close to italy than ny style though. so i always find it funny when new yorkers despise it so much.

but hey...we can all just go to Famiglia for a slice with Palin.
if you haven't seen Jon Stewart's take on that, you gotta watch, you'll pee your pants.

Me Lover's Pizza With Crazy Broad - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 06/01/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Old 06-03-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
if you haven't seen Jon Stewart's take on that, you gotta watch, you'll pee your pants.

Me Lover's Pizza With Crazy Broad - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 06/01/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
that's where i get most of my news now...stewart and colbert. then, i treat myself to belly busting laughter by watching tosh.0. i almost peed my pants last night. stewart and colbert have been killing the anthony weiner twitter b.s. this week. it's great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey