Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:56 PM

88,300 posts, read 84,292,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
I dont get this either, i mean who wants to retire in NEW JERSEY? You stay in NJ and pay the ridiculus high cost of living because of job, schools for the kids, etc.. without much lifestyle benefits. Once you retire why do you want to continue living here and paying those ridiculus cost when you could be in one of thousands other places with much better communities and cheaper cost.

mind...boggles.
Not everyone in those 55+ communities IS retired. My sister isn't. As a matter of fact, the NY bus stops outside the gates to pick up commuters who live in Rossmoor every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 05:48 PM

431 posts, read 941,416 times
SIMPLE!

They get tax revenue for 55+ and since they don't have any kids in grade school... there is no increased burden on the local schools.

WIN WIN??

Old 06-08-2011, 06:05 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,636,300 times
Quote:
I dont get this either, i mean who wants to retire in NEW JERSEY? You stay in NJ and pay the ridiculus high cost of living because of job, schools for the kids, etc.. without much lifestyle benefits. Once you retire why do you want to continue living here and paying those ridiculus cost when you could be in one of thousands other places with much better communities and cheaper cost.

mind...boggles.
did you even see the links I posted? Less than 100K and less than 2K a year in taxes? anywhere else you go you won't make out much better.

also, people retire here for lots of reasons. i'd detail them but I have a feeling you're not interested.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:09 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,636,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And they let you live there? My niece is 22, and my sister told her she'd have to find her own place (she'd moved in with a boyfriend, broke up, and was looking to move back home with mom and dad). There is a two-month limit on allowing someone under 48 to stay there with you (one of the people who lives in a unit has to be 55+, the others can be as young as 48).

They did get a good deal. I mean, the kitchen appliances are 1970's Harvest Gold, but the place is in pretty good shape. The previous owner had died and his son lives out of state and was desperate to get rid of it.

I'm "only" 52, but I live in a small condo, one story, no one over me or under me, have a little fenced-in garden area out back. No front steps. I can get old and decrepit where I am!
yes, apparently 19 was the youngest age, which I can see - they don't want school aged kids burdening the school system. my brother also moved in with her for awhile after he moved back from OR - he was 30'ish? Stayed for..not sure, definitely less than a year.

i can see myself so getting into a small condo after my kids are gone - keeping up a "large" house is for the birds!

Old 06-08-2011, 07:13 PM

505 posts, read 2,332,723 times
It actually doesn't have anything to do with the school districts rather than self preservation.

'Some' communities will allow an adult child to stay with a family member for a short period of time. The main reason they do not allow person's under 40 is because the fact that they discriminate based on age is actually a Fair Housing Violation. There was an act that was passed that allowed this 'discrimination' b/c of "Familial Status" (not having minor children) provided the community maintained a minimum of 80% of the residents over the age of 55.

Once they fall below that threshold they can actually lose their ability to restrict based on age (and I believe be sued for a fair housing violation - but don't quote me on this part). Adult communities are also required to provide ‘‘significant facilities and services specifically designed to meet the physical or social needs of older persons.’’

Site: Implementation of the Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995

Old 06-08-2011, 08:41 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,062,470 times
Quote:

mind...boggles.
To each his own. I might change my mind because of weather as I get older, but Florida to me is a bizarre combination of white trash, alligators, Mickey Mouse, Cubans and people waiting to die. Fake & depressing.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:03 AM

50,489 posts, read 36,126,975 times
Many people want to stay near their family and friends...I can't imagine that my retirement would be more enjoyable if I were far away from everyone I love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey