U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 12:21 AM

7 posts, read 44,053 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends,

My question is how safe are these areas [All of orange(S. Orange st, Park Avenue, Central Avenue, Main St. Vose Ave)…Newark (Ferry St, Broad St, Mulberry St)...Irvington (Union Ave)... Maplewood (Milburn Ave n Boyden Ave) ]. I know this quetion has been answered and I read it but my situation is different.

I just got a job as a courier picking up parcdls from various offices in these areas. So the problem is 2 days i would have to start at around 9:30 PM and will continue atleast 3-4 hours.

So is it safe to be in these areas at night? I will be alone with car.

I am 21 year old guy and I do need a job but I dont want to risk my life for something I donot want to be as my career. This is just my summer job as I am a college student.

THANK YOU
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 01:42 PM

7 posts, read 44,053 times
Bump

Old 06-06-2011, 05:20 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,738,890 times
I'm sure they aren't paying you nearly enough to justify having to do a route that includes Irvington in the evening.

Get a job work at a mall or gas station or something, make half the money, don't risk yourself unless they are offering serious hazard pay.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:52 PM

9,194 posts, read 13,508,593 times
West Orange, South Orange, and Maplewood are fine. If by South Orange Street in East Orange you mean South Orange Avenue on the Newark/EO border, that's not fine. Drive it in broad daylight if you doubt. Same goes for Central Avenue in EO, definitely not a place I'd go at night. The parts of Newark you mentioned aren't too bad, but to get to them from the Oranges you'd have to take a pretty roundabout route to avoid the parts that are.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:33 PM

3,608 posts, read 8,294,676 times
The only Essex county towns of any concern at night would be Orange, East Orange, Newark, and Irvington. All the other towns are perfectly fine. Of course, we all know anything can happen anywhere, so you need to have good street smarts.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:10 PM

12,542 posts, read 17,495,447 times
irvington, parts of newark, and parts of east orange would frighten me during that 9:30-1:30 period.

i live in west orange. my brother-in-law visited me once and ran to shoprite...called me and asked if there are more than one shoprites near my house because he was in an area that didn't look quite right...he was in east orange.

east orange during the day is fine. i've run errands there multiple times at auto zone, citibank, and some other stores. maybe it's fine at night too, but i don't feel right so i avoid it. irvington looks bad during the day, i don't even want to see it at night.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:12 AM

703 posts, read 1,408,648 times
It may not be worth with the spike in violence in Newark and with random shooting I would not want to be there or Irvington at night, same for Orange and East Orange. If you could get a job that is West Orange and up it would be good but I would not want to frequent Newark, Irvington, Orange and East Orange at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or