Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 04:50 PM

16 posts, read 36,014 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Over the last few years I've visited a few places in New England that make their own ice cream and got to wondering why I haven't stumbled across many of these here in NJ. Outside of the chains (DQ, Coldstone, Friendly's, etc) I've been to a bunch of places that serve ice cream out of those large containers they've bought from distributors, but I haven't seen (m)any that actually make their own. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'd like to return the favor to the in-laws when they visit this summer. I'd be especially interested in any places in Hunterdon, Morris, Warren, and Sussex. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 04:54 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,358 times
Not in NJ but I ride out here at least twice a year for the beautiful country roads, scenery and the AWESOME icecream!!
Heisler's Cloverleaf Dairy

Old 06-06-2011, 04:55 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Cliff's in Ledgewood/Hackettstown, Taylor's Ice Cream Parlor in Chester are 2 I know about.

Essex County - Applegate in Montclair (although I went to the website and they've started to franchise so not sure what that means vis a vis "homemade").

Old 06-06-2011, 05:46 PM

188 posts, read 414,479 times
Although in Central Jersey, two that claim handmade are:

Day's Ice Cream, Ocean Grove - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

and

Our Latest News (http://www.hoffmansicecream.net/site/index.php - broken link)

Old 06-06-2011, 06:18 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildenGuy View Post
Hi,

Over the last few years I've visited a few places in New England that make their own ice cream and got to wondering why I haven't stumbled across many of these here in NJ. Outside of the chains (DQ, Coldstone, Friendly's, etc) I've been to a bunch of places that serve ice cream out of those large containers they've bought from distributors, but I haven't seen (m)any that actually make their own. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'd like to return the favor to the in-laws when they visit this summer. I'd be especially interested in any places in Hunterdon, Morris, Warren, and Sussex. Thanks!

I second the recommendation of Cliffs in Ledgewood. They are simply the best, been going there forever even though I live over 30 minutes away. (Taylors in Chester is closer, but I am not a fan at all) I also like Dover Dairy Maid on rte 46 across from the old HS, and the Denville Dairy on Broadway in Denville, both long time local favorites still making their own ice cream.

Koala

Old 06-06-2011, 06:31 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
I don't know...but I read the title as "cemeteries that make their own ice cream" and I thought it was quite unusual....

Old 06-06-2011, 07:31 PM

249 posts, read 825,097 times
Also in Central Jersey, but amazing ice cream and definitely worth the trip!

Halo Pub, Princeton or Halo Farm, Trenton

Thomas Sweets - 3 locations, Princeton, New Brunswick & Montgomery

Confectionately Yours, Franklin Park

Old 06-06-2011, 08:01 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
While in the Princeton area, check out The Bent Spoon.
380 Flavors, and Counting - New York Times (http://www.thebentspoon.net/images/nytimes%207-06.html - broken link)

Old 06-06-2011, 10:02 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
Can't think of the name offhand but years back there was a ice cream manufacturer in Fairfield by the airport that had a dairy bar/outlet.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:59 PM

501 posts, read 1,429,649 times
I SECOND recommend Hoffman's Ice Cream (http://www.hoffmansicecream.net/site/ - broken link)! Do not let this simple incomplete website fool you. I went to the Spring Lake location, expecting nothing more or less from this place.

On my first time there, it wasn't too bad of a wait. I ordered a chocolate related ice cream. My mother ordered the award winning vanilla ice cream. I took a sample taste of this particular vanilla and I was blown away. I was impressed so much that I regreted ordering my ice cream flavor. There is no joke to this "award winning" vanilla. O__o This vanilla literally tasted like vanilla, and not the usual creamy vanilla.

My second time to the same location Hoffman's, the place seemed busier than I remembered. The available number to take from the machine was in the 100s, and the workers were still calling out numbers below 60 or so. Several minutes later, I couldn't wait any longer and left leaving the number strip on the table with the rest of the other numbers from the other patrons, who couldn't wait either.

If you're in Spring Lake for a shore trip, I would advise going to this place either really early or around a meal time. Not after dinner though. =.= Either that or go to the other two locations, which should hopefully be less crazy. The ice cream is very much worth a wait.

(Funny thing, I might be going back to Spring Lake tomorrow. Round 3 for ice cream attempt!)

The second homemade NJ only ice cream chain place I can sort of recommend, off the tip of my head, is Applegate Farm. If you're ever in the northern part of the state, the Montclair location is worth a stop because it's the original, which has nothing but a silo as a remnant. According to their website, though, it seems to be closed now (since they opened the Hoboken location)? Noooo... D:

And the third ice cream store that I can recommend, that's not a chain, is Skipper Dipper in LBI (Long Beach Island). That's if you're ever in that area. They have some homemade ice cream there. The reviews do not lie when they say they have long lines. You definitely need to be patient during the ice cream store's busiest time. The price is not that cheap, but it can be worth a wait when you're under hot weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey