Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 11,091 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a first time home buyer and was looking at robbinsville nj area. I had few questions for the wise neighbors:
1. How is robbinsville as an area?
2. how is the commute from robbinisville to NYC?
3. Any part time activities and social gatherings?
4. How is the young kids ratio as we dont have a kid yet?
5. How are the property taxes and local taxes?
6. What are good communities to live in?
7. Any local sports recreation area for biking ?
8. Howe are house prices holding with so much new construction?

Please advise at earliest.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 10:20 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,435,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabhai View Post
Hi,

I am a first time home buyer and was looking at robbinsville nj area. I had few questions for the wise neighbors:

Thanks in advance.

I can give you some info regarding the commute to NYC...it is a killer. A good friend did it for a while, she lives near Robbinsville, (West Windsor) and worked in mid town. The train station is in Princeton Junction. For her that was a 10-15 min drive depending on time of day/traffic. (Oh, there is a waiting list for parking spots at the station not sure how long it is now, I think over a year wait, but some who have the spots rent them out monthy) The train is non stop to Newark and takes 35 min, she then had to transfer to the Path which took 22 minutes to get to downtown. She then had to get on the subway to midtown. If there was no trouble on any of the lines it took her nearly 2 hours each way from her front door to the office door (transferring & waiting for the next train included) I personally would not be able to handle such a commute...4 hours a day!

The area is nice, as are the people, lots of young families. I am not that familiar with the Robbinsville schools, but the West Windsor schools are top notch.

HTH
Koala

Old 06-08-2011, 08:01 AM

531 posts, read 2,891,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabhai View Post
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
1. The area is nice, very rural feel to it, a lot of different housing options--townhomes, older homes, nice single family homes, etc. The Washington Town Center development is quite large and has changed the town quite a bit. Population has more than doubled in a short time. There are some growing pains as a result of that, most notably with schools.

2. Commute is manageable, depending on where in NYC you need to get to. It's about 10-15 minutes to Hamilton train station where parking is not a problem. Train ride into NY is about an hour on the express. And then you just need to get to wherever you are working in NYC. Expensive though...I forget how much the monthly is now but it's somewhere around $400?

3. Not sure what you mean by part time activities/social gatherings. There are a few community-type activities. There's a Robbinsville Community Day this coming weekend, but that's really it.

4. A lot of young kids, lots of new families have moved there.

5. Taxes are high but it's New Jersey so they are high everywhere. I pay about $7,500 for a 3 bedroom/2.5 bath townhouse.

6. Depends on what you are looking for and what your budget is. The center of town is the new Washington Town Center, which has everything from townhomes to very large single family homes. It has a nice feel to it but it is expensive. Foxmoor is adjacent to Washington Town Center, and is nearly all townhomes and condos. Much more affordable, but some of the condos are older and beat up. The newer townhomes are nice and a pretty good alternative to Washington Town Center if you're looking to save money. There are a few upscale developments which are in the process of being built which look very nice. And lots of older developments that have been around for a while, some of which are very nice. Again, it all depends on what your budget is.

7. Not sure on this one...

8. It's a great time to buy, especially if you're not looking to sell a home at the same time. We bought our home 5 years ago and if we sold it today we could probably only get 90% of what we paid for it.

Good luck!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:39 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,003,776 times
Nice post

I'll fill in number 7!

Mercer Co. park is not far and has bike/walking paths, sports fields, tennis, 2 golf courses, ice skating, paddle boats etc.

The is also Veterans Park in Hamilton that has about the same stuff.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:34 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,614,492 times
Does anyone know how the Lofts in the Washington Town Center are selling? I thought they looked interesting but wonder how they are structured- by that I mean what happens if the stores go belly up and are vacant. Do the owners of the lofts above have to pick up the property taxes that are due?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:52 PM

531 posts, read 2,891,876 times
I looked at a few models with a friend who was interested. They are REALLY nice. I know, they are models, but for the right person they would be great. I don't recall what taxes were; but the monthly fee was insanely high...you get a parking spot and use of the gym but it was a lot. I wish I could remember how much.

Anyway, it seems that they are selling well from everything I have heard as they are continuing to build more. I have no idea about the implications of the retail closing.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:41 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,003,776 times
We looked at The Lofts too. They really are nice.

I found 6, currently, for sale. The HOA fees for a 2/2 are 330/mth which seems high for parking maintenance (snow removal), exercise room, lounge and security.

Sharbell is managing the retail space right now, don't know if they own it or what will happen if/when the development gets turned over to the HOA.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 8,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
I can give you some info regarding the commute to NYC...it is a killer. A good friend did it for a while, she lives near Robbinsville, (West Windsor) and worked in mid town. The train station is in Princeton Junction. For her that was a 10-15 min drive depending on time of day/traffic. (Oh, there is a waiting list for parking spots at the station not sure how long it is now, I think over a year wait, but some who have the spots rent them out monthy) The train is non stop to Newark and takes 35 min, she then had to transfer to the Path which took 22 minutes to get to downtown. She then had to get on the subway to midtown. If there was no trouble on any of the lines it took her nearly 2 hours each way from her front door to the office door (transferring & waiting for the next train included) I personally would not be able to handle such a commute...4 hours a day!

The area is nice, as are the people, lots of young families. I am not that familiar with the Robbinsville schools, but the West Windsor schools are top notch.

HTH
Koala

Why would you switch to PATH at Newark when the NJ Transit goes directly to midtown.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:12 AM

208 posts, read 542,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swankysenor View Post
Why would you switch to PATH at Newark when the NJ Transit goes directly to midtown.
I was wondering the same thing...sounds like BS. Just take the NE express all the way to Penn station?! WW is a much better commuting option to midtown than most railroad towns further north precisely because of the week-long direct, frequent, and -fast- access to the city.

As for Robbinsville, it seems a little overpriced to me. Commute is good, however, just use the Hamilton station (tons of parking, and a little closer than Pton Junction).

Old 02-08-2013, 10:16 AM

244 posts, read 595,611 times
My friend lives in Robbinsville and has 4 sons under the age of 7. The two older ones are very active in sports and she seems to love the schools, the teachers and the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey