Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 07:12 AM

3 posts, read 52,084 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm new to the area, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or thoughts on raising kids in Alpine, NJ. Is it a good town to raise kids ...what types of programs do they have, etc.
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 10:32 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtobergen View Post
Hi,
I'm new to the area, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or thoughts on raising kids in Alpine, NJ. Is it a good town to raise kids ...what types of programs do they have, etc.
thanks!
It's a complete slum. Don't raise your children there!

Sorry. Couldn't resist. It's tied for most expensive zip code in the country, as you are surely aware if you're asking this question/planning to live there. I don't know if that equates to a good town to raise kids in or not. Maybe you could contact Chris Rock or Joe Piscopo and ask them.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:07 PM

10 posts, read 68,555 times
The Alpine Public School (K-8) is small with one class per grade because many of the kids in town go to private schools in Englewood. For 9-12th, the kids go to Tenafly High School, with the tuition paid by the town. The younger kids also do recreation sports in Tenafly. Although it's a small community, if you have preschool age kids, you'll meet people from Tenafly, Cresskill, Demarest, etc. Many families use the JCC or Temple Sinai preschools and others in Tenafly, or PCDS in Closter.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:25 AM

Default Commuting to NYC from Alpine NJ

Thx for the info. Also, any advice on commuting to NYC from Alpine NJ via public transportation? I only found the #9 bus on Red & Tan Line on Rt 9. I'm wondering if there are any other alternatives.
Thanks!

Old 06-14-2011, 03:50 AM

10 posts, read 68,555 times
Yes there is a small parking lot by that bus stop on 9w, but many people in Alpine drive into the city or drive to the ferry.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:48 AM

Default Where is the parking lot ?

Thanks so much girl1boy1 - you have been so helpful! i spoke with a woman from borough hall, but she wasn't very familiar with the bus stops and/or nearby parking or the other public transportation options to the city.

is that parking lot near closter dock rd? is it part of the PIP park, or another lot? I'd like to check it out to figure out what makes most sense commuting. Also, the ferry option is great to know about. I'll look into that as well.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 17,209 times
Having been raised in Alpine all my life (now 26), I can give you the real deal...

I went to Alpine School until 3rd grade. The school, like others have said, has VERY small class sizes. This suffices until kids reach the 3rd grade, when having 12 people in your grade (that was the size of my class when I left) can be a little socially stunting. As such, many kids leave by the 8th grade, and those that are left merge into Tenafly High School. Personally, I went to private schools after Alpine (Elisabeth Morrow, then Horace Mann in NY, both of which had big Alpine populations). Tenafly is supposed to be a fantastic high school though. Can't really comment on Alpine School's academics as I was too young, but it's super clicky and the mothers who lunch will probably drive you crazy since they ran the school when I went there (lots of european cars and tennis skirts at 3pm). Always found this funny since most kids went to private schools, so it was like clicky within the group of 'outsiders.'

As for growing up in Alpine in general, it is definitely not the typical suburbs with kids playing in the streets and whatnot. In fact, most streets are deserted and kids are usually playing at somebody's house in the backyard. As others have said, the programs for kids (little league, etc.) are in conjunction with Cresskill and surrounding towns, and are totally fine. Most likely, if your kid ever wants to see a friend, someone will have to drive him (unless you luck out and become friends with your neighbors and they have kids - not too much neighbor chit-chat though, as privacy is #1).

As for commuting to NY, no other way to say it, IT SUCKS! The bus you are referring to is really the only real way to do public trans, and even there, if you don't live towards the top of the hill near 9W AND close to Closter Dock Road, have a nice time walking to the bus stop. There is that tiny parking lot which you can drive to and then take the bus, but the whole process in general is a pain in the ass. Ass for the ferry, it's not exactly close, but I guess it does beat actually having to drive into manhattan and park every day. However, the "hard to get to" quality is part of its charm.

In conclusion, Alpine is certainly not the most practical place to live. But if you're about to live in what was (until this year) the most expensive place in the US, practicality probably isn't your problem.

That being said, what it does offer is a complete escape from the city. You get the feeling of those sleepy bedroom communities in upstate NY and Connecticut (except every home is a mansion instead of a tiny house). If you love nature and peace and quiet, but don't want to give up the excitement of NY, this is the place for you. I personally grew up in a house where NY was a huge part of our lives, driving in for dinner all the time and seeing shows/museums/etc. It's basically NY's unknown backyard, and the residents like to keep it that way.

In retrospect, I'd move back with my kids (if I can hopefully afford it), since there is no where else like it for the NY'er at heart. Soo much closer than Westchester and the other Jersey luxury suburbs (i.e. Franklin Lakes, Saddle River, etc.), and the homes and land offer such serenity and nature because of their size/lots/isolation. I'm a big fan. Hope this helps you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey