U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:42 AM

238 posts, read 599,795 times

Advertisements

this i ask in all sincerity. please cite factual --not emotional reasons--why pa is better to reside in, than NJ.

a lot on this forum throw out blanket statements, like, corrpution in NJ, high property taxes, etc., but they cannot back it up. im in nj, a renter, and though its high, i ventured over to bucks county (so id have a reasonable commute) and it aint much cheaper folks. add in the cost of commuting, and it all evens out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 08:53 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,002,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meameame12 View Post
this i ask in all sincerity. please cite factual --not emotional reasons--why pa is better to reside in, than NJ.

a lot on this forum throw out blanket statements, like, corrpution in NJ, high property taxes, etc., but they cannot back it up. im in nj, a renter, and though its high, i ventured over to bucks county (so id have a reasonable commute) and it aint much cheaper folks. add in the cost of commuting, and it all evens out.
If you really want a deal, you need to move much further away. Unfortunately that usually requires a job change or job relocation. Anthing within driving distance to NYC will be expensive. (JMHO!) People are willing to drive two hours (one-way) to commute into the city. I used to see tons of PA license plates while driving on Route 80 in the morning and evening. I'm sure not ALL were NYC bound, but many were.

I have family that lived in New Jersey for many years and relocated to PA for a job. They love living there, but they too are seeing major changes. (Congestion, cookie-cutter communities going up, taxes going up, etc.)
It's unavoidable, I suppose.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:03 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,246,639 times
i think that PA housing is definitely cheaper, maybe not as cheap as you'd except, but I have no doubt you can generally get more house for the money. property taxes are cheaper. parts of bucks county are gorgeous.

but you're right, if you need to commute to NYC or even parts of NJ, the cost in gas and time is a killer. you've got to see if it's worth it to you - many people do as evidenced on Rt 80 and Rt 78 during rush.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:15 AM

7,913 posts, read 16,354,013 times
Northampton County, Monroe County, Bucks County = to 5th columns of New Jersey and New York City. The Delaware River is just a tangible landmark that flows through an area that is culturally becoming the same. I view it as the NYC suburbs expanding into Pennsylvania, as New Jersey's land has completely transformed from rural to suburban. When you go a little further into Pennsylvania, such as Berks and Carbon County, do you begin to see cultural change. That's because these areas have not yet been claimed by the ever reaching NYC orbit. Back in the late 70s, Warren County NJ was still rural, and not really part of the NYC orbit. That changed in the 80s. In the 90s, the aforementioned PA counties were eventually claimed. Now, if you want to compare other counties in PA and contrast them to NJ, you have an argument. Below is a map of average income by zip code. When the incomes begin to dive, that's IMO where PA is more traditionally PA. The wealthier areas are basically 5th columns of NJ, which is to say, NYC.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:13 AM

6,540 posts, read 6,724,106 times
The biggest reason IMHO is housing cost. 250K in many parts of PA is doable. 250K in Northern NJ often means your neighbor is a felon.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:39 AM

238 posts, read 599,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
The biggest reason IMHO is housing cost. 250K in many parts of PA is doable. 250K in Northern NJ often means your neighbor is a felon.

lol. true as well. i have given up, i think, on NJ. i hear the rumors--corruption, waste, high auto insurance rates, property taxes, etc. isnt there anywhere at all i can afford to live? yes of course i want my mcmansion--who doesnt? and i want a good school system, where my children wont get shot or killed.

as ive said b4, my wife and i make over 200k, and we cant afford it here. rent is 3k per month. driving south, and yes its a little less...but not enough to make the move. i dont consider rent dropping from 3k to 2500 a real bargain.

that is why im asking about Pa. i wanted to hear real answers. ill give you one: i called geico--currently my auto insurance for 07094 zip = 3450 per annum. i gave the lady on the phone a zip in bethelem, pa, and the new quote would be 1770 per annum. same cars (honda civic, honda pilot). same everything. but suddenly--50 percent drop in insurance.

so i want to know other savings--cause if i go under realtor . com , i dont see homes that are much cheaper--i still see 400k homes!!

Old 08-07-2007, 07:42 AM

1,508 posts, read 5,297,206 times
Default I'm confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by meameame12 View Post
lol. true as well. i have given up, i think, on NJ. i hear the rumors--corruption, waste, high auto insurance rates, property taxes, etc. isnt there anywhere at all i can afford to live? yes of course i want my mcmansion--who doesnt? and i want a good school system, where my children wont get shot or killed.

as ive said b4, my wife and i make over 200k, and we cant afford it here. rent is 3k per month. driving south, and yes its a little less...but not enough to make the move. i dont consider rent dropping from 3k to 2500 a real bargain.

that is why im asking about Pa. i wanted to hear real answers. ill give you one: i called geico--currently my auto insurance for 07094 zip = 3450 per annum. i gave the lady on the phone a zip in bethelem, pa, and the new quote would be 1770 per annum. same cars (honda civic, honda pilot). same everything. but suddenly--50 percent drop in insurance.

so i want to know other savings--cause if i go under realtor . com , i dont see homes that are much cheaper--i still see 400k homes!!
Forgive me if this is too personal, I don't mean to pry or tell you what you should do but I'm confused..You said you & wife make a little over 200k per yr. You can't afford a 400k house? I don't know & will not ask what your financial situation is - none of my business- Just saying...we're near your salary & we live comfortably in home twice that price in NJ with children. It can be done. Good luck with whatever you decide to do or move to.
Just stay out of Scranton !! lol

Old 08-07-2007, 08:05 AM

331 posts, read 1,794,031 times
I am looking in pa and Nj ..since we are getting relocated and my husband will work in Center City. We are looking in the Southern part of NJ..which I know is less expensive than the northern part. We are looking in the Gloucester county area.

I find I can get more house in that part of Jersey..and it's a nice area with good schools . I was also told pa was cheaper..but am not seeing it. It is cheaper if my husband wants to drive 2 + hours to and from work. But if you want to be in a decent commute to CC...then it is expensive. Plus I believe pa makes you pay a certain percentage of your salary in tax. I think...in Pittsburgh ..our county had us pay 1% of our salary. Then you also have the wage tax to work in Philly i believe. Then there is also state tax. I could be wrong...but I believe you have to pay all that.

In Nj..i believe they have a reciprocity agreement..so you don't pay NJ state tax if you pay the wage tax...at least that is what it used to be when we lived in the area before.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:53 AM

84 posts, read 335,637 times
Simply fact for me
1Bdr apt rent in NJ = $1100 a month
3Bdr 2.5 bath 2 car garage own in PA = $1250 a month

Same job
thats worth the commute to me
I don't make anywhere near 200K a yr

Old 08-07-2007, 12:01 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,254,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
Forgive me if this is too personal, I don't mean to pry or tell you what you should do but I'm confused..You said you & wife make a little over 200k per yr. You can't afford a 400k house? I don't know & will not ask what your financial situation is - none of my business- Just saying...we're near your salary & we live comfortably in home twice that price in NJ with children. It can be done. Good luck with whatever you decide to do or move to.
Just stay out of Scranton !! lol
I was thinking the same and we make about 1/2 Good Luck with your decision. It's a hard one to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or