Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:14 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,350,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
OK fine, we are "less" free in NJ. I can't drive my car without a seatbelt. I can't ride a motorcycle without a helmet. I can't smoke in a restaurant or bar. I can't carry a gun. I can't hire unlicensed professionals to do work for me. On top of that my town requires me to get my home inspected before I sell or rent it. My town also makes me mow my lawn and won't let me run a used car lot out of my front yard. I also can't pour waste oil down the storm drains.

Maybe some of us are perfectly fine with reasonable rules and laws that promote common sense and civility in a densely populated state. Others would prefer to live in a place with no laws so they could be free to do what they please.

Hey, maybe that's another way to put it, a different kind of density. Let's say 1 out of 100 people are dumb and lack any common sense. In a lot of places there is one dumb person per square mile, maybe less. In NJ, there are 11+ per square mile. I have a much greater chance of being effected by the actions of an idiot here, than I do in another state. So, I'm willing to give a little to minimize the impact.
i also find the smoking in restaurant piece that comes up interesting. what people don't realize with the ban on smoking in restaurants is...it has nothing to do with customers that don't like people smoking in restaurants, as that wouldn't hold legal ground. it was done because we've banned smoking at workplaces...but for some stupid reason, excluded some workplaces. few would argue that we should be able to smoke in our office buildings, at The Gap, or in a movie theater, yet for some reason, people will argue tooth and nail about smoking in restaurants. Why? uhoh...i just opened a can of...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 6,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
and Fireworks are dangerous.....
Actually, that is an incorrect statement! Fireworks are very safe and have become even more so over the last 5-10 years. Look at the stats.

Usage: http://www.americanpyro.com/pdf/Fire...res2000-09.pdf

Injuries:
http://www.americanpyro.com/pdf/Tabl...76%20-2008.pdf

I thought this graph shows a better perspective:
http://www.americanpyro.com/pdf/Cons...01976-2008.pdf

More people today are injured driving a car, playing in a kids playground, skateboarding, dog bites, H.S. sports, skiing, household slip and falls, and work than fireworks, the list goes on and on......

Safety Video:
http://knowlera.vo.llnwd.net/o18//im...playbutton.jpg

Fireworks are regulated by a Federal Gov't agency in the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Committee) there they test everything that comes into our country from toaster ovens, baby cribs and carriages, clothing and yes, Fireworks.

Last year, there was 1, I repeat 1, fatality regarding fireworks usage and that was due to the individual making them! Since 2009, there have been vey few injuries were the percentage has dropped 75% off the 2000 numbers and the usage of fireworks have gone up 90% since then also. I believe this is a stat that cannot be denied. There is a member on here, Fred314x, who also claims that fireworks are dangerous "explosives", where one will lose a finger. Hey Fred, if you did some homework before making a statement like that then you would know that there just isn't enough black powder composition in 1.4g "Consumer Grade" fireworks which are not "Explosives"! The CPSC has set such stringent regulation on the consumer use of fireworks that they can't blow off your finger. I would highly require anyone to get involved with the PGI if your were to use 1.3.
PGI - Display Operator Certification (http://www.pgi.org/fireworks-training.aspx - broken link)

Now, 1.3 or more commonly known as "Display Fireworks" are the big displays that towns and cities put on. They will indeed kill you if used improperly or as you put it, "Lose a finger"! There are so many licensces, permits, training and certifications needed just to wire those up! I know, I'm one of them.....
I put on a lot of shows down south for my family and they love it. I have been a part of the pyrotechnics field for a lot of years and NEVER had an incident while I was around.
Of course, you will always have the immature teenagers or the drunk adults who will shoot roman candles at each other, or think it's cool to lite fireworks off in a crowded neighborhood at 1 in the morning.
It's time for New Jersey to stop over regulating everything we do and at least let us enjoy what our fore-fathers wanted us to do on the date of the anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

John Adams wrote this to his wife Abigail:
It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.

I, for one, have been in talks with both my Assemblyman and other legislators about changing these outdated laws. I have proposed a 4 page report on the usage of fireworks whether it be the age of purchase/use, tax % amount of fireworks sales (ie: 10%) safety course consisting of a $50-$100 permit where that money goes back into that persons local municipality for either new firework equipment or training purposes and even what crimes could be attached if broken. This should weed out most of the irresponsible people.

End rant!

Old 06-22-2011, 03:19 PM

76 posts, read 242,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Cut out the part that was just repeated from earlier posts.

Insurance is based on risk. If more people in NJ are seriously injured or die in car accidents because they don't wear seatbelts than in other areas, NJ's risk profile is higher and we will all pay more for insurance. This is the "relevant factors" you were talking about.
No, by relevant factors I mean things like the driver's driving record. Risk and cost should not be based on a state's "profile" but on the individual's risk factors, e.g, how many accidents or tickets has he got, has he ever been charged with DUI, how many miles per year does he drive. An insurance company could put a clause in their contract that states the person is not covered or his coverage is less if he's not wearing a seat belt when he gets into an accident.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:49 PM

501 posts, read 1,426,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevinNJsoon View Post
Actually, that is an incorrect statement! Fireworks are very safe and have become even more so over the last 5-10 years. Look at the stats.
Speaking of fireworks, I remember an incident a few years back in another state where someone was handling a firework box and it went off decapitating her. That pretty much traumatized me a bit, but I hope something like that hasn't happen in the other past incidents of privately used fireworks over these years.

So far, my neighbors haven't had any incidents, yet, while using their fireworks.

The fireworks ban law hasn't affected me. I choose not to use any (illegally). Boston has the best 4th of July fireworks display ever so seeing the neighbors use their tiny little circle ones is just...neh... Minor amusing but it gets boring after awhile. Hosting pool parties and bbqs is a great family/friend event already. Small fireworks aren't a necessity in my life. The same with many other people in NJ.

And I'm proud to wear my seatbelt in habit. Both front and backseats. I can't imagine being in one of the passenger seats and the car suddenly brakes. (Ouch...)

Edit: Pardon me. My brain's half functioning right now enough for the typo. ^____^ Eheh...

Last edited by Unknown Memory; 06-22-2011 at 05:07 PM..

Old 06-22-2011, 05:02 PM

19,055 posts, read 25,178,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
And I'm proud to wear my seatbelt in habit. Both front and backseats. I can't imagine being in one of the passenger seats and the car suddenly breaks.

...or even worse, if it BRAKES!

Old 06-22-2011, 05:05 PM

^ Ah, whoops! Thank you for the correction! Good thing I didn't sign off yet. @__@

Old 06-22-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
^ Ah, whoops! Thank you for the correction! Good thing I didn't sign off yet. @__@
No problem!
I don't charge for online grammar or spelling lessons.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:11 PM

Mmm.. But you still got a rep from me anyways. It's all on me.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:54 PM

Old 06-22-2011, 07:23 PM

10,220 posts, read 19,132,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i'd love to see what happens to the mortality rate in NJ if they got rid of something as basic as the seatbelt law. With the quantity of accidents in this state, it would probably be alarming how many people that would die each year.
Again, you're making a utilitarian argument against freedom, not arguing that NJ really isn't unfree.

Quote:
if people just wore their damn seatbelt, because it's the logical thing to do, we wouldn't have had to create a law to enforce logic...
Yeah, if more people just did as you said, you wouldn't have to put a cop's gun to their head to make them do as you say. Personally, I spent some time handcuffed in the back of a police car for a traffic offense (in #50 NY, not NJ. Didn't have a bell on my bicycle.) today, so I'm not real impressed by the claims that this kind of stuff doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey