U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2007, 12:20 AM
 
2,716 posts, read 4,976,573 times
Reputation: 718

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I have no ties to Newark. Let Newarkers pay for Newark. Enabling corruptive behavior by forcing everybody to shovel money into unaccountable holes accomplishes nothing more than keeping incumbents in office, the new mayor notwithstanding.

Somehow, I just can't believe that the politicians of Newark, Camden, Trenton etc. give much thought to the well being of kids in my town much less their own towns.
Newarkers can't afford to pay for Newark. If the city had less income it would be even worse and more of a breeding ground for high crime spreading into other areas that would have otherwise been safe. I don't think money should just be thrown at the city because that definitely wouldn't accomplish anything. Taxes that lend into state support aren't limited to Newark. I think a better Newark would lead to less taxes because the city could stand on its own two feet for a change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2007, 01:29 AM
 
1,446 posts, read 4,262,054 times
Reputation: 333
Default Warped Perspective beyond Arrogant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Why aren't you people in New Jersey taking back your streets from these thugs? Demand better police protection, mentor a troubled youth so that they can become positive contributors to society, form vigilant and aggressive neighborhood watches, etc. Scranton's Hill Section used to be a haven for violence as well in the 1990s,
You can't keep running from your problems, folks. You won't be running into PA, as more and more of my neighbors are rebelling against how our quality-of-life is beginning to deterioriate, especially in Monroe County, due to the influx of many criminally-intentioned New Jersians who are peddling drugs in Wilkes-Barre to our children. When will you all just take a step back and say "We NEED to take charge of our cities NOW?!"
People are not currently fleeing NJ because of a crime problem. They are fleeing because of a cost of living problem. Your neighbors- no matter how angry they may be- will not be able to fend off developers or the likely sprawl. This is not some new trend.

It's kind of surprising that someone from a completely different type of environment can be gullible enough to fancy themselves an urban pioneer in a place like Newark. As if the world has never seen college educated white males take over a city before. It is beyond arrogant to assume that because someone lives in a town such as this they don't strive to make their city better or have the brains to organize. The community you come from has never experienced anything on the scale that Newark has.

Comparing the problems here to just a "sketchy neighborhood scenario" is just as off the wall as telling "survivors" they just need to get some civic pride.....A new Low.
Oh and this gem..
"Criminally-intentioned New Jersians who are peddling drugs in Wilkes-Barre to our children"

As though you don't have drug dealers in your vanilla-bred hometown to begin with.

And this,
"For what it's worth, all of the news we hear in PA regarding Newark is awful."

Why are your neighbors(and yourself) concentrating on places in other states when you have the identical problem in your own? This smacks of the most insincere concern I have heard today. If you want to have an impact-why not get involved in an area like Philly where there are identical problems? And no- I'm not asking why you don't move there. You moving to any of these places is not the issue. People already live there(is that news or something?). They don't need you to move there-not at all.

If you really wanted to make a difference you would put your energy into something that would empower/strengthen the current residents-not spend your time trying to find a place for yourself to live. You say you would gladly be the first-as though this is something new and unusual that has never been tried....LOL- even youth does not excuse that gem of a remark.

It's great that people have made your area "trendy" again. It probably took some effort on their part. You can pick up the torch where they left off. You could channel some of that vision of yours and teach the less fortunate all those great middleclass survival skills you've mastered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2007, 01:33 AM
 
5,762 posts, read 9,532,148 times
Reputation: 3768
Quote:
Newarkers can't afford to pay for Newark.
Well, maybe it's time for state receivership. But actually, no, the state is also corrupt and wasteful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2007, 02:07 AM
 
1,860 posts, read 3,640,178 times
Reputation: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
and what happens to the people who currently occupy these dwellings and will no longer be able to afford them once the area is gentrified?

Some NJ cities are in the process of this....areas now in Jersey City that haven been gentrified....you need to be a NY banker to afford them...Hoboken same thing

much of Northwest Nj is now protected by the Highlands Act
Exactly. I used to live in Jersey City Heights, near the 9th Street light rail stop. There is lots of new construction by the light rail, with new condos that only 6-figure professionals can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2007, 02:08 AM
 
1,860 posts, read 3,640,178 times
Reputation: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
People are not currently fleeing NJ because of a crime problem. They are fleeing because of a cost of living problem. Your neighbors- no matter how angry they may be- will not be able to fend off developers or the likely sprawl. This is not some new trend.

It's kind of surprising that someone from a completely different type of environment can be gullible enough to fancy themselves an urban pioneer in a place like Newark. As if the world has never seen college educated white males take over a city before. It is beyond arrogant to assume that because someone lives in a town such as this they don't strive to make their city better or have the brains to organize. The community you come from has never experienced anything on the scale that Newark has.

Comparing the problems here to just a "sketchy neighborhood scenario" is just as off the wall as telling "survivors" they just need to get some civic pride.....A new Low.
Oh and this gem..
"Criminally-intentioned New Jersians who are peddling drugs in Wilkes-Barre to our children"

As though you don't have drug dealers in your vanilla-bred hometown to begin with.

And this,
"For what it's worth, all of the news we hear in PA regarding Newark is awful."

Why are your neighbors(and yourself) concentrating on places in other states when you have the identical problem in your own? This smacks of the most insincere concern I have heard today. If you want to have an impact-why not get involved in an area like Philly where there are identical problems? And no- I'm not asking why you don't move there. You moving to any of these places is not the issue. People already live there(is that news or something?). They don't need you to move there-not at all.

If you really wanted to make a difference you would put your energy into something that would empower/strengthen the current residents-not spend your time trying to find a place for yourself to live. You say you would gladly be the first-as though this is something new and unusual that has never been tried....LOL- even youth does not excuse that gem of a remark.

It's great that people have made your area "trendy" again. It probably took some effort on their part. You can pick up the torch where they left off. You could channel some of that vision of yours and teach the less fortunate all those great middleclass survival skills you've mastered.
Ouch...

(The message u have entered is too short..)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2007, 02:26 AM
 
1,860 posts, read 3,640,178 times
Reputation: 1395
I could not agree more with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
And why should anyone subject their children to that....look some of these people don't WANT to help themselves ..you have one generation after the next that live in Hud housing, collect a check from the state and food stamps...sure it's not easy..it's a struggle but for those that want it...it's out there, college assistance..etc.
As I have just said, I recently moved out of Jersey City Heights. I'll give credit where it's due... the rent was affordable and getting to Manhattan was easy. And the area near Shoprite is going through major real estate development, but I can't afford those condos anyway.

I am so glad I am out of there.

Friday and Saturday nights, after 2AM, it was common to hear throngs of black kids walking down from Palisade Avenue to the housing projects. WIthout any regard for those who were in bed, they'd yell, curse, shout, and laugh at the top of their voices. I don't remember the number of times I called New Jersey Police's noise complaints unit. And yet this pales in comparison to the number of times I saw fights there. This past winter, on a weeknight (yes, a WEEKNIGHT), around 9PM, I saw a car stop and kids got off and pummeled another kid and used a broken bottle on him. I saw incidents where the fights would involve 20+ young men and I'd call the cops... but these kids would mostly all leave by the time the cops arrived.

I once saw a black young man ram his bicycle through a car's rear windshield because he thought the driver cut him off... the young couple driving the car was terrified, and wouldn't you know it, black residents mumbled it wasn't right to arrest the kid.

And this is not Newark, it's Jersey City, and that's what I faced...

The only area of Newark I'd ever live in if I had to live in Newark is the Ironbound, near the Portuguese/Brazilians.

As a single man who is in his 30s and has now moved from the partying of his 20s into what I call the last years before marriage and parenthood I'm doing all I can to be able to afford living in a better area with better schools... I grew up in the suburbs and now I thank my parents for the high quality of life I enjoyed as a teenager. Hopefully I'll be able to give my own kids half of what my parents gave me.

I am SO glad I am about to close on a new apartment in Bergen county, in an area without such people. Am I being racist? No, I'm just stating the facts... these kids may not all be bad but they gravitate towards such acts because many come from one-parent homes, and have no good role models. And no matter how wealthy I get in the future, I will never sacrifice my lifestyle or my family's for that matter to "renew" a downtrodden neighborhood. I didn't make it that way, it shouldn't be up to me to renew it.

Good riddance, Jersey City Heights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
As for these kids in Newark I truly feel for them and their families but knowing what they knew about their neighborhood what in the heck were they doing in a school yard after midnight??? Can't really blame the parents because they were all 18 or over.....go hang in a friends house..inside as it's not even safe to sit on your porch in Newark
I feel for the families and hope the murderers are caught. I'll bet the perpetrators were not white, but that should surprise nobody given the crime demographics of Newark and of JCH, and of the Bloods, Crips there, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2007, 06:13 AM
 
Location: NJ/NY
8,092 posts, read 8,414,681 times
Reputation: 5627
The only way you are ever going to clean up Newark is to make it a dictatorial police state. As much as that needs to be done, the residents will never allow it, like the residents of NYC did in 1994 when crime was out of control. The residents of NYC were much more diverse.

Not to simplify things, but what Newark needs is a Giuliani. Unfortunately, race trumps all else, so what they get is a Dinkins...every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2007, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Bronx, New York
2,847 posts, read 5,780,357 times
Reputation: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
Newark needs is a Giuliani.
Be careful what you ask for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2007, 07:02 AM
 
236 posts, read 588,611 times
Reputation: 50
ive said it b4 and ill say it again, whites created the ghetto and now they cannot find a viable solution. since they created the ghetto, it is their responsibility to fix it, and to somehow re-integrate the hoods back into society. incarceration does not work. threats of punishment does not work. more police does not work.

all of these social ills are the effect of poverty, poor education, white racism, and lack of community--and this pattern is indicative of urban areas everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2007, 07:25 AM
 
Location: NJ/NY
8,092 posts, read 8,414,681 times
Reputation: 5627
Quote:
Originally Posted by meameame12 View Post
since they created the ghetto, it is their responsibility to fix it, and to somehow re-integrate the hoods back into society. .
This is exactly why nothing will get done. These are the kinds of ideas that are taught in our society, but they rarely solve any problems.

Do you think most white people in the burbs give a rats ass if people in Newark are killing each other. The county and state can force them to throw money at the problem, but that has not worked for the past 40 years, why would it start working now.

NOBODY will help the people of Newark except the people of Newark. As soon as they understand that, maybe they will start doing something to make their own lives better.

If they believe they are "owed" something, they will stay in poverty the rest of their lives. The attitude needs to be...what can "I" do to improve "my" situation.

When enough Newarkers finally "get it" maybe they will elect someone that will clean the place up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top