Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 06:59 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post

And I can just say this--I have lived in Mercer County for 6 years, a county with a significant Indian population, and I have never had a bad experience with an Indian either on the road or in a retail location. Not once.

You need to get out more.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 PM

860 posts, read 1,337,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
To the OP, I am Indian and I have noticed there is a problem with racism in New Jersey. Did you know the NJ police have patrol cars stationed outside Indian parties and weddings to check for DWI's? Now show me one example of this happening at any ethnic community's party that you know of? If it did happen, it would on the news and there would be a court case (I am not sure if this is even legal).

Any African Americans here? Anyone from Trenton? No? Hm. Well, it's certainly not illegal or unknown for police to congregate at parties and/or large gatherings where alcohol is being served. Why? Because they're A) trying to protect the public from drunk drivers, and B) trying to make money for their townships and DWIs carry expensive fines. I question how you know the police know where all the Indian parties and weddings are. Do they read the social announcements in the local paper???? No. They know where the popular wedding and public party spots are so if they see a whole bunch of cars... I wonder what they think...

Yes, I'm going to guess this person is off base here. But I've never been to an Indian party or wedding so I can't say for sure.

For the other poster who expects them to be Americanized? Well, listen many AI's who came here are first generation. It's going to take time to assimilate and settle in. Read a history book, and realize how Italians, Germans, Irish, Japs, all took their time to become Americanized!

And on what do you base your factoid that "Japs", Italians, Germans, Irish, etc took a long time to assimilate to America? Can you give me a timeline? What I do know is that, as proud as those groups were of their home country, they were prouder to be Americans. Indians on the other hand are just here to make money and go home, to India. They don't care about this country. And because they don't care, they're not even trying to assimilate. In 20 years, Indians will be the same.

The reply to this, that "Indians are just here to make money and go home", is a stereotype. Some are, some aren't. I respect the Indian who replied saying give them time. I don't know how long it took other ethnic groups to assimilate. But I'm willing to give any ethnic group the benefit of the doubt. And it goes both ways. Welcome them more and they will assimilate. Judge all of them with the thinking that they are just here to make money and go home will not lead to any assimilation.

Just because you had a few bad experences, you can;t and shouldn;t judge everyone the same.

When I have to wait for 20 minutes for an Indian woman to haggle on the price of a 5 dollar footlong at Subway and then use 3 different cards to pay for it, causing, NO LIE, 10 subs to be backed up.... I judge Indians differently. Or when at least once a day, sometimes much more often, I almost get into an accident because an Indian did something blatantly illegal (such as making a U-turn from the right turn lane across 3 lanes of traffic, nearly causing me to broadside the driver (would have killed him) just so he didn't have to take 1 minute to make a legal U-turn....) I judge Indians differently.
Your proving his point correct--as he said, just because you've had a few bad experiences, you can't and shouldn't just everyone the same. Because one woman does what you describe in Subway, you judge an entire race differently? Let me ask you, have you ever been to any of the Walmarts in Mercer County? If yes, based on your comment, you will judge all white people different. Because those stores are full of the freakiest, trashiest white folks I have ever seen! And I can just say this--I have lived in Mercer County for 6 years, a county with a significant Indian population, and I have never had a bad experience with an Indian either on the road or in a retail location. Not once.
I've lived in Mercer County for over 10 years. And my "judging Indians differently" comes from years and years of the same stupid crap from DIFFERENT Indian people day in and day out. That's all I ever see from any of them. I only cited 2 instances. How about when they walk into a Walgreens and try to bargain on the price of the last holiday's candy that's already marked down 70%? And these same people pay 10 grand or more in property tax, but they can't buy anything without trying to haggle. It's irritating and cheap (hardly classy). And then you wait while they stand at the register, blocking everyone else while they check their receipts.

As to driving.... HAHA. I could post for days and never run out of the straight out dumb things Indians do in a car. Asians and Indians are the reasons NJ needs to reinstate on-the-road road tests for licenses.

And yet, I notice you have no comment on the fact that MisterTee wants us to tolerate/welcome his race, but at the same time bashes his Latino neighbors. Just more of the Indian attitude of self/race-entitlement.

Ironically, he bashes them for their Spanish music. Gee, I can't tell you how annoying it is to hear Bollywood blasting out of the neighbor's poorly made McMansion every night.

Or their children whom they allow to SCREAM all day and night (5 year old screaming at 10:30 at night).If that kid is ever in trouble, I won't know the difference. Someone could murder that kid and I'd think she was just playing. Or their obnoxious precious TEENAGE sons who walk past my property and bark at my dogs to incite them to howl (even though I've asked them to stop). And these same teenagers cut through my property so they can get to theirs faster. I swear I should slap them with a trespassing charge to teach them some respect and courtesy.

They think their crap doesn't stink and they have no courtesy for anyone but their self-proclaimed "own kind". If they came here to become American, they wouldn't hole themselves up in housing complexes, creating Little India's. And heaven forbid you drive into that neighborhood to visit friends. They stare at you. That's rude and they know it. But if you're not Indian they want you out of their "hood". I've walked around Newark at 3 am in the morning and met people nicer than the pampered rich at home. And I'm a white female, stereotypically a prime target for the Newark criminals. But they were social godsends compared to my Indian neighbors.

I don't shop at Walmart so I can't talk about the behavior of the white clientele. Most likely, they're poor and at least have a semi-cultural excuse to be coarse. But the Indians who come here aren't from the lower castes. They're educated and therefore should behave better. They don't because they don't care about their behavior towards non-Indians.

I guess you live in some blessed area of Mercer County (probably the area with the fewest Indians). Tell me where you live. I'd like to move there.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:19 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times
We need more honest opinions. I'm not sure why but I find this thread to be fascinating. Let it out!

Old 06-16-2011, 07:55 PM

807 posts, read 1,032,848 times
I agree that AI truly do not embrace American culture. As someone mentioned, they are only here for the money, property, and education.

Here is my direct experience with AI. I went to Rutgers studying chemistry. There were a large percentage of AI in the program, mostly passing through undergrad chem classes on their way towards medical degrees. And there was a very disturbing trend among them, they were the biggest cheaters. This was not a racist observation, it was fact. They stuck together and would cheat on papers, tests, labs, you name it. I called out one of my lab partners one time and told her cheating was frowned upon and against school policy, she could care less. Call me what you want, but I was a witness to this on many, many occasions. Which is why I will never have an Indian person as my doctor. These people I observed were highly unethical and were masters at working the system.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:11 PM

860 posts, read 1,337,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
I agree that AI truly do not embrace American culture. As someone mentioned, they are only here for the money, property, and education.

Here is my direct experience with AI. I went to Rutgers studying chemistry. There were a large percentage of AI in the program, mostly passing through undergrad chem classes on their way towards medical degrees. And there was a very disturbing trend among them, they were the biggest cheaters. This was not a racist observation, it was fact. They stuck together and would cheat on papers, tests, labs, you name it. I called out one of my lab partners one time and told her cheating was frowned upon and against school policy, she could care less. Call me what you want, but I was a witness to this on many, many occasions. Which is why I will never have an Indian person as my doctor. These people I observed were highly unethical and were masters at working the system.

I agree 100%. I had Indian friends in high school and they were all pre-med. I had anatomy class with one girl and she and all the other Indians in class would cheat on every test, lab, etc. I never wanted my own friend to be my doctor. Some of the cheating is probably a direct result of the familial pressure they feel, but the fact that they even turn to cheating just shows how little they value achievement via hard work, something that has always been an ideal in American society (though I think that value is slipping these days, unfortunately). And with how tyrannical most Indian parents are, I doubt her parents were unaware. Anything to get the grade.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:51 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,799 times
No problems with Indians living in in Little India... I mean, Middlesex County.

But to the two families down the block...would it kill you to cut your lawns more than once a month?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:23 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
I've lived in Mercer County for over 10 years. And my "judging Indians differently" comes from years and years of the same stupid crap from DIFFERENT Indian people day in and day out. That's all I ever see from any of them. I only cited 2 instances. How about when they walk into a Walgreens and try to bargain on the price of the last holiday's candy that's already marked down 70%? And these same people pay 10 grand or more in property tax, but they can't buy anything without trying to haggle. It's irritating and cheap (hardly classy). And then you wait while they stand at the register, blocking everyone else while they check their receipts.

As to driving.... HAHA. I could post for days and never run out of the straight out dumb things Indians do in a car. Asians and Indians are the reasons NJ needs to reinstate on-the-road road tests for licenses.

And yet, I notice you have no comment on the fact that MisterTee wants us to tolerate/welcome his race, but at the same time bashes his Latino neighbors. Just more of the Indian attitude of self/race-entitlement.

Ironically, he bashes them for their Spanish music. Gee, I can't tell you how annoying it is to hear Bollywood blasting out of the neighbor's poorly made McMansion every night.

Or their children whom they allow to SCREAM all day and night (5 year old screaming at 10:30 at night).If that kid is ever in trouble, I won't know the difference. Someone could murder that kid and I'd think she was just playing. Or their obnoxious precious TEENAGE sons who walk past my property and bark at my dogs to incite them to howl (even though I've asked them to stop). And these same teenagers cut through my property so they can get to theirs faster. I swear I should slap them with a trespassing charge to teach them some respect and courtesy.

They think their crap doesn't stink and they have no courtesy for anyone but their self-proclaimed "own kind". If they came here to become American, they wouldn't hole themselves up in housing complexes, creating Little India's. And heaven forbid you drive into that neighborhood to visit friends. They stare at you. That's rude and they know it. But if you're not Indian they want you out of their "hood". I've walked around Newark at 3 am in the morning and met people nicer than the pampered rich at home. And I'm a white female, stereotypically a prime target for the Newark criminals. But they were social godsends compared to my Indian neighbors.

I don't shop at Walmart so I can't talk about the behavior of the white clientele. Most likely, they're poor and at least have a semi-cultural excuse to be coarse. But the Indians who come here aren't from the lower castes. They're educated and therefore should behave better. They don't because they don't care about their behavior towards non-Indians.

I guess you live in some blessed area of Mercer County (probably the area with the fewest Indians). Tell me where you live. I'd like to move there.

Hey before you accuse someone of bashing I suggest you read the tread properly and understand what was the purpose of my statement. I can;t stand my neighbors for blasting loud music in the early morning hours. How many Indians blast loud music late night/early morning. I purposely put the Spanish music reference because that is the music. Do I judge every latino to some bad experiences? Hell No. You have to be stupid to do so. You're complaining about a little kid screaming at 10:00 pm but have an issue with me complaining of loud music at 4 am. Right! Not every Indian lives in Mansion and every Indian who comes here are not educated as much as you think. What bothers me is how you come to an conclusion on every Indian if you don;t even have your facts straight. I guess all Africans commit crime and all latinos are illegal. Stupid right?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I agree 100%. I had Indian friends in high school and they were all pre-med. I had anatomy class with one girl and she and all the other Indians in class would cheat on every test, lab, etc. I never wanted my own friend to be my doctor. Some of the cheating is probably a direct result of the familial pressure they feel, but the fact that they even turn to cheating just shows how little they value achievement via hard work, something that has always been an ideal in American society (though I think that value is slipping these days, unfortunately). And with how tyrannical most Indian parents are, I doubt her parents were unaware. Anything to get the grade.

Yeah I would like to see you cheat on the MCAT's and USMLE's. Failing or passing that would the biggest indicator of "cheating." You expect them to be Americanized, yet every ethnic group that came to this shore was given time right?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
No problems with Indians living in in Little India... I mean, Middlesex County.

But to the two families down the block...would it kill you to cut your lawns more than once a month?

Haha, just let them know that it affects property value.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
The above is my opinion, anyway.

Whatever Kiru....you ever wonder why they don't like you or why you get treated badly? Your responses to my statements did little to sway my thoughts. The term "Japs" wasn't being used to refer to Japanese in a racist way. I used it for shorthand. You're dumb to judge everyone to a few. If you can judge everyone to the actions of a few, then why don;t you have a problem with other ethnic groups that commit more crime or don;t speak English? Your logic is flawed. About your statement on Muslims, do you want me to point out instances in the US where violent acts happened (LA Riots)? I suggest you read up on the history on India to understand its problems. Instead of venting online, why don;t yo make the effort to talk to your damn neighbors without coming across as racist. Maybe, they might listen to your issues and try to resolve them with you right>? Listen if all Indians were cheating...forget its just a waste of my time. Maybe a little curry would open you up tight ass. Funny how you forget in NJ, Indians were subjected to beatings and being shot by a gang called "dotbusters." The problem is that whenever a crime is committed against Indians, the culprits were fined or slapped on the wrist with minor sentences/probation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey