Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:53 AM

1,423 posts, read 2,541,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juca_cruz View Post
You're right, but unfortunately some people (Indians or Whites) think so

I've faced some issueswith people because I'm Latino But personally I don't care.

In one job interview the interviewer (who was Indian) was really rude, he even asked me if I was here Legally and If I really had a degree Stupid isn't it? (Duh! - This is not my first International experience! )

Obviously I did my best in that interview with all people involved (got the position) and at the end I said, you know what, I'm not gonna take the job, because I don't work with Racist people like that fellow who made some really racist comments about me and I just left

Unfortunately, one of the things I've seen is that a lot of Indians lie on their resumes and cheat, I've seen a lot of Junior level people (with a Huge ego - they look themselves like they're a kind of genius - be humble people!!!) everywhere I work, the only thing I do, is just do my best and not do the same Soon or later things will fall apart

Let me ask you a question. How did you know the person interviewing you was Indian? How do you know he wasn;t from Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Yemen, Iran, iraq, etc? For the guy to ask you such a question reflects poorly on his judgement. I mean a background check owuld have been sufficient to clarify your citizenship.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yup. Never saw so many Master's degrees in software development from the "University of India"...............

I am sure if you work for a legitmate company they would have the resources to screen such dubious resumes and certificates, right?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:57 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,625,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
OK, I thought you were overstating the hostility when I first read your original post. I stand corrected.
So, when someone answers his question, you consider the answers 'hostile'?

I see. I should just lay down and let people walk all over me because otherwise I'm being 'hostile'. Maybe I should take down the American flag that waves in my front yard...sure don't want to **** off the outsiders by inadvertently reminding them they are not in their own country. How crass of me!

I see. I should just be cool with my next door neighbor standing in her yard and staring at me. You know, even in the animal kingdom, a stare is considered an agressive action.

I see. I should have forgiven and understood the woman who totalled my brand new car because she didn't know that it was important for her to see out her car windows before getting on the road.

I see. I should not get impatient with the man or woman who is making a big fuss in a store check-out line because they feel they were overcharged by a nickle.

I see. I should just accept that, because my house is smaller than others, I am not worthy of a good morning or hello greeting.

I see.

Hell, maybe we Americans should just get out of America and let the rest of the world have it, no?

Feeling annoyed with a group of people does not equate to hate or racism.
Manderly, maybe you can look up the word 'annoyed' in your dictionary and get back to us with what you find.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:05 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,065,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
So, when someone answers his question, you consider the answers 'hostile'?

I see. I should just lay down and let people walk all over me because otherwise I'm being 'hostile'. Maybe I should take down the American flag that waves in my front yard...sure don't want to **** off the outsiders by inadvertently reminding them they are not in their own country. How crass of me!

I see. I should just be cool with my next door neighbor standing in her yard and staring at me. You know, even in the animal kingdom, a stare is considered an agressive action.

I see. I should have forgiven and understood the woman who totalled my brand new car because she didn't know that it was important for her to see out her car windows before getting on the road.

I see. I should not get impatient with the man or woman who is making a big fuss in a store check-out line because they feel they were overcharged by a nickle.

I see. I should just accept that, because my house is smaller than others, I am not worthy of a good morning or hello greeting.

I see.

Hell, maybe we Americans should just get out of America and let the rest of the world have it, no?

Feeling annoyed with a group of people does not equate to hate or racism.
Manderly, maybe you can look up the word 'annoyed' in your dictionary and get back to us with what you find.
If you're American, why do you sound like you just stepped into this country.

With the exception of letting people walk all over you, you taking your flag down, and leaving, the answer is yes to everything.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:06 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,589,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I am sure if you work for a legitmate company they would have the resources to screen such dubious resumes and certificates, right?
If they cared.............

Old 06-17-2011, 10:13 AM

50 posts, read 185,248 times
i'm an indian living in nj for quite some time. my family is "bit americanised" if i have to say.... i have a couple of incidents to share ( though i have many to list)

When i was taking a walk with my kid, man (white) in mid 30's took his dog for a walk, when the dog approached my son, he said immediatley " come on........you can't be friendly with everyone".
one of my neighbor(white) watched this and seemed upset like me.....

So, i almost stopped saying "hi" to anyone walking past me, when again one day a guy said " Hi, do you want to live in a world where nobody says "hi" to you..... i immedialtely smiled to him and said "hi"

Finally, i got confused about these people and so nowadays when i look at them, if they say "hi" first then i go happily saying "hi" back. Still i live in a place for the past 6 years where my nextdoor neighbor hasnot even had a smile towards us.

my opinion is people who dont seem to be friendly with us are moslty republicans.........

whenever i go to india, my relatives and friends still get quite puzzled and question us always, why do we even stay in a country, where we have issues like this ?. why dont we come back to india where there are lot of jobs right now and quality of life being improved nowadays. my answer would be "still i have seen some nice people anywhere we go".......

Old 06-17-2011, 10:32 AM

79 posts, read 267,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Let me ask you a question. How did you know the person interviewing you was Indian? How do you know he wasn;t from Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Yemen, Iran, iraq, etc? For the guy to ask you such a question reflects poorly on his judgement. I mean a background check owuld have been sufficient to clarify your citizenship.
Absolutely and not only my citizenship, my experience and my education

It was a face to face interview, his first name was Vijaykumar (and he told me he was from Hyderabad)

Old 06-17-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juca_cruz View Post
Absolutely and not only my citizenship, my experience and my education

It was a face to face interview, his first name was Vijaykumar (and he told me he was from Hyderabad)

Haha..yeah Vijaykumar is definitely Indian and the location fits. Its sad, I'm sorry you went thru it. I have met good and bad Indians also. Maybe because I was born and raised here, I have a different perspective on America and the importance of fitting in but sometimes folks make it hard. i don;t talk to some of my neighbors for the past 12 years, I can't wait to move. I live in the Bronx and this neighborhood hasn't been kind to me. My old block was the best growing up, everybody got along with each other except for one kid Gary. I always wanted to knock the crap out of him. But as a young kid, my folks would say turn the other cheek or ignore him. Its quite hard to ignore someone who makes it a point to mess with you. Thankfully, the streets of NY "schooled" me haha. Also, I avoided many fights in the neighborhood only beacause I didn;t want these guys to mess with my parents if I whooped their butt.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:50 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,024,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmohan View Post

When i was taking a walk with my kid, man (white) in mid 30's took his dog for a walk, when the dog approached my son, he said immediatley " come on........you can't be friendly with everyone".
one of my neighbor(white) watched this and seemed upset like me.....
As a dog owner, that is probably because it's annoying as hell to have to stop and let every person pet your dog. I doubt it had anything to do with your race. Sometimes people are just trying to go do their thing.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:02 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,636,300 times
Hey, forgive me guys, I'm just trying to figure out who we DON'T hate. I have to update my spreadsheet because it seems to change all the time. I mean, we hate AAs because they're lousy welfare queens who don't work and suck up tax dollars. We hate Indians because they come here and DO work. We hate Asians because they study too much and take the high paying jobs. Don't even get me started about the Mexicans. Why can't us white skinned people just be left alone?! Thank GOD the cast of Jersey Shore, Anthony Weiner, Arnold, are....oh...never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey