Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:01 PM

16 posts, read 64,096 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to NJ in the near future (I've been living in Palm Beach County, FL for the past 2 1/2 years). It's more than likely I'll go back to my old firm located in the Financial District in Manhattan. I'd prefer not to live in Queens or Brooklyn again and thought I might like to try New Jersey. I would need to live in a part of New Jersey that has a relatively easy commute on the PATH train in the Financial District.

I have a car so parking is important so an area like Jersey City is not for me. I like what I've heard about Montclair and it looks like I can get to Manhattan from Montclair by train (I'm not sure if I'd need to transfer to the PATH). However, rents in Montclair may be a little too expensive for my budget (I can afford about $1,800/month for rent) so are there other towns near Montclair that wouldn't be too much of a hassle to commute from to the Financial Cente but would be more affordabler? I thought about the express bus but I believe it only goes to the Port Authority from that area.

I also thought about living in Connecticut but then I'd have to take the Metro North to Grand Central and then the subway from Grand Central to the Financial Center, and that would probably be too much of a hassle.

I'd appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panner View Post
I'm considering a move to NJ in the near future (I've been living in Palm Beach County, FL for the past 2 1/2 years). It's more than likely I'll go back to my old firm located in the Financial District in Manhattan. I'd prefer not to live in Queens or Brooklyn again and thought I might like to try New Jersey. I would need to live in a part of New Jersey that has a relatively easy commute on the PATH train in the Financial District.

I have a car so parking is important so an area like Jersey City is not for me. I like what I've heard about Montclair and it looks like I can get to Manhattan from Montclair by train (I'm not sure if I'd need to transfer to the PATH). However, rents in Montclair may be a little too expensive for my budget (I can afford about $1,800/month for rent) so are there other towns near Montclair that wouldn't be too much of a hassle to commute from to the Financial Cente but would be more affordabler? I thought about the express bus but I believe it only goes to the Port Authority from that area.

I also thought about living in Connecticut but then I'd have to take the Metro North to Grand Central and then the subway from Grand Central to the Financial Center, and that would probably be too much of a hassle.

I'd appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks.
None of the NJT commuter rail lines go into Lower Manhattan: They all go into Penn Station in Midtown Manhattan, so you would have to take the subway to Lower Manhattan (just like you would if you were taking the Metro-North or LIRR).

The lines that pass through Newark Penn Station (Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast, and Raritan Valley) offer an easier transfer to the PATH (the layout of the tracks in the station is a bit confusing, but I believe the PATH is right across the platform).

All of the other lines terminate in Hoboken. During the weekdays, you would have to go down into the Hoboken subway station and there is a direct train to Lower Manhattan. However, on the weekends, you would have to take the PATH to Grove Street and then transfer to the train to the World Trade Center, which would add about 10 minutes to the trip.

So basically, I would look at areas to the south rather than the north. Out of the three lines, the Northeast Corridor Line is the most frequent, so I would look at towns like Metropark. The cities/towns between Rahway and Newark have both the Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Lines, but they might have some sketchy areas (a member from NJ can give you more info).

Good luck!

Old 06-16-2011, 09:43 PM

16 posts, read 64,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
None of the NJT commuter rail lines go into Lower Manhattan: They all go into Penn Station in Midtown Manhattan, so you would have to take the subway to Lower Manhattan (just like you would if you were taking the Metro-North or LIRR).

The lines that pass through Newark Penn Station (Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast, and Raritan Valley) offer an easier transfer to the PATH (the layout of the tracks in the station is a bit confusing, but I believe the PATH is right across the platform).

All of the other lines terminate in Hoboken. During the weekdays, you would have to go down into the Hoboken subway station and there is a direct train to Lower Manhattan. However, on the weekends, you would have to take the PATH to Grove Street and then transfer to the train to the World Trade Center, which would add about 10 minutes to the trip.

So basically, I would look at areas to the south rather than the north. Out of the three lines, the Northeast Corridor Line is the most frequent, so I would look at towns like Metropark. The cities/towns between Rahway and Newark have both the Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Lines, but they might have some sketchy areas (a member from NJ can give you more info).

Good luck!
Thanks for the information. It's a bit confusing but also helpful at the same time. I have a lot of research to do in the next couple of weeks.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
You might also consider Harrison. It has a PATH station, and I believe it's easier to keep a car there than Jersey City.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:02 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panner View Post
Thanks for the information. It's a bit confusing but also helpful at the same time. I have a lot of research to do in the next couple of weeks.
anywhere buses to wall street run look at jamesburg,NJ also kendall park, New brunswick, sayreville, bayonne, areas along rte 9 in monmouth county, Toms river, the closer the cheaper the commute.

Also middletown and holmdel are close to a park and ride for buses to Wall street o and the buses are express NON-STOP over the highway.

Also look at morris county by mt arlington for lakeland bus to wall street.

The train is only good for midtown bound folk

Old 06-17-2011, 03:13 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
If frequency is important to you, you should stay anywhere near a path station (PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ) or on the North East Corridor NJTransit Rail Line (New Jersey Transit - Home).

The best stations on the North East Corridor are Trenton, Hamilton, Princeton Junction, New Brunswick, Metro Park and Newark. Hamilton and Princeton Junction are hands down the best of them if you want to live in the Princeton area, but the commute is about an hour.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If frequency is important to you, you should stay anywhere near a path station (PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ) or on the North East Corridor NJTransit Rail Line (New Jersey Transit - Home).

The best stations on the North East Corridor are Trenton, Hamilton, Princeton Junction, New Brunswick, Metro Park and Newark. Hamilton and Princeton Junction are hands down the best of them if you want to live in the Princeton area, but the commute is about an hour.
Problem the train doesn't go to lower manhattan. Also why pay more to use PATH. The buses are express and go direct to lower manhattan minus the transfers.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:44 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
Problem the train doesn't go to lower manhattan. Also why pay more to use PATH. The buses are express and go direct to lower manhattan minus the transfers.
Pay more to use PATH? It's $1.75 a ride. Cheap and nasty.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Pay more to use PATH? It's $1.75 a ride. Cheap and nasty.
I meant PATH monthly plus RAIL monthly

Old 06-17-2011, 09:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
I meant PATH monthly plus RAIL monthly
You have to consider that it is cheaper to buy a monthly to Newark and a PATH pass than it is to buy a monthly directly into NYC (I think it is around $60-$80 cheaper). I'm sure that logic would apply for buses as well.

Of course, if you live in an area that already has the PATH (like Harrison), then you avoid the costs of the commuter rail monthly altogether.

Maybe the Harrison would be a good fit for the OP. He didn't really say that he wanted to spread out and move further from Manhattan: In fact, he said he would like to keep the commute to NYC fairly short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey