Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:58 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Mr. Christie has not helped my tax situation at all, and until he does, I fail to have any sympathy for someone whose total property tax burden represents such a small percentage of his income.
It's entirely possible your property taxes could have gone up by more if not for Christie. I'm not saying this would have happened, but certainly a possibility. So when you say he hasn't helped your tax situation, he may indeed have put you in a better spot vs. someone else.

Personally I don't have "sympathy" for anyone's property tax burden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 04:41 PM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Actually, it sort of is. Progressive based on property value, not based income. Let's face it, the residents of a $1,000,000 property aren't getting any more or better service for their taxes than are the residents of a $400,000 property. They simply pay a higher portion of the towns total tax levy, so that the people in the lower priced homes can pay less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
well said. simply put...the system is designed to be progressive, with the assumption that the people buying the $400,000 property are a little bit different income-wise then the ones buying a $1M property. it's not perfect, but the design is progressive.
Hmm. OK. Maybe I am just personalizing it too much. I think of the progressive income tax as something I cant legally escape. Anyone can escape the "progressive" property tax, as I did myself. I dont pay nearly as much as I would if I had chosen to live in a less modest home. When we were choosing a house, property taxes were one of several reasons for our choice. Not because we couldn't afford them, but because after a certain point, it is just throwing away money.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 06-23-2011 at 05:19 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 09:03 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It's entirely possible your property taxes could have gone up by more if not for Christie. I'm not saying this would have happened, but certainly a possibility. So when you say he hasn't helped your tax situation, he may indeed have put you in a better spot vs. someone else.

Personally I don't have "sympathy" for anyone's property tax burden.
just like the economy could be worse if not for obama's policies! hehehe

Old 06-30-2011, 10:28 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Hmm. OK. Maybe I am just personalizing it too much. I think of the progressive income tax as something I cant legally escape. Anyone can escape the "progressive" property tax, as I did myself. I dont pay nearly as much as I would if I had chosen to live in a less modest home. When we were choosing a house, property taxes were one of several reasons for our choice. Not because we couldn't afford them, but because after a certain point, it is just throwing away money.
yes, but then you could also avoid higher taxes by choosing to take a lower salary...so income tax, which is progressive, could be avoided as well. there's plenty of stories of people who choose to live very simple lives so that they stay under the income that they have to pay taxes. kudos to them....but that doesn't mean the tax system isn't progressive in design.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:25 AM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
yes, but then you could also avoid higher taxes by choosing to take a lower salary...so income tax, which is progressive, could be avoided as well. there's plenty of stories of people who choose to live very simple lives so that they stay under the income that they have to pay taxes. kudos to them....but that doesn't mean the tax system isn't progressive in design.
I conceded the point, and you are STILL arguing with me. LOL

Ok, ill bite. Working at a lower salary is cutting off your nose to spite your face. Living in a modest home is not, or at least not necessarily, depending on the person.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:57 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
im not sure who said he should "sacrifice his kids education". but, for the record, sending his kids through public schools rated among some of the best in the state would hardly have been throwing his kids to the wolves. he says he made a personal choice to send his kids to parochial schools, and thats entirely his choice. he supports the public school system whether or not he sends his own kids to public school, via his property taxes - just like the rest of us.
Rated by WHOM and compared to what? I don't care for or believe in ratings. I know there is a huge difference in quality of education between public and private. It just is and always has been. It does NOT mean that a child in public school will not excel and go on to a prestigious college and end up doing well for him/her self. Not at all. It's personal preference.

My kids, no matter the wonderful ratings any public school in any town/county had, should I actually live in one of those towns, still would NOT attend public schools.

Maybe he just should have been more honest and said he never had any intention of sending his kids to public schools in the first place.

Quote:
personally, i couldnt care less where he sends his kids to school - that is his, and his wife's choice. but i don't think its a good strategy of his to use the amount he pays on property tax to make it sound as though he, pehaps more than others, supports the public system, so has "earned" his right not to use it.
You missed where CC doesn't support the way the public school system is being run.

How does one earn the "right" to NOT use the public system? You earn a right to not use other people's money, to educate your kid in a non-public environment? While you are still paying more than half of your property taxes to the public school system in the town you live in (in my and my neighbors cases) ? Should be the other way around. You should earn the "right" to educate your kid on the tax payers dime.

Quote:
....nor do i think the way he slapped down the question as being none of the business of the person asking was a particularly good one. persumably he wants to come across as edgy, and with "bite", but any person holding a significant position in public office would be naive to think some people would be interested in how he and his family use public services.
Well, they don't use the public schools. Perhaps it's for a reason. He's not trying to be "edgy" or avant garde. He is who he is. My father is the same way in business. He takes no crap from anyone, no matter how hard they slam their heads against a brick wall and blame him for their personal reactions.

Quote:
....same goes for obama.
Yes, it does. But who is asking Obama those questions and holding the choice he made for his kids, when it comes to education, against him?

DC just sucks like that? Were his kids ( I don't know this) in public schools in chi-town? Or does he always live in seedy cities so he has an excuse to evade not only sending his kids to public schools also the criticism for not sending for his kids to public schools? There are PLENTY of abbot district schools that are pretty much brand spanking new in NJ - to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars....would Obama send his girls to one of them? State of the art everything...doesn't tossing millions of tax payer monies at a lost cause , according to liberals, make everything better, you know: kids smarter and safer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey